• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How did you get into Pokemon?

what was your first Pokemon experience?

• Total voters
    Years
    Mine started when I wanted to have a go at what my brother was playing (Firered) so he lent me his other one, Leaf green. I didn't fully get it, as I was young then, but later when I saw that Diamond was being released, I decided to get, and have been playing on all the Pokemon games since.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    TCG; voted games before giving it enough thought though. :|

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    It was a variety of things... Pokemon was pretty big at the time, and a lot of kids played it at school. I watched the anime occasionally, so I think that's what initially got me into it -- however, the cards were what made me a big fan. Once I got a game, though, I was completely sold to them above the others.

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
    I started with the Anime.
    I think I started watching the anime when I was 10, around Novemberish.. a couple months after my birthday.
    I would also collect the cards whenever I had access to money.
    Then one of my dad's friend's son's gave me his old Gameboy and Pokemon Blue for my 11th birthday. And then for christmas I got Pokemon Yellow.. and I have no idea how I obtained Red, but I have that too.. lol
    And it's all just kind of gone from there.
    Used to write stories, and draw pictures.
    I had an entire wall of my room covered in Pokemon drawings that I traced over the Sugimori art and colored beautifully.. I still have all of those saved somewhere too.. haha!
    I love Pokemon. :D

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
    For me, it was seeing Charizard on the front of Pokemon Red, I immediately wanted it just cause of that dragon. and then my love for Pokemon grew as I played the game with me wanting more. then came PKMN Silver, and that solidified my liking to the Pokemon series.

AuroraHearts

Noob Master
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    ive loved it ever since i was a kid and i watched the first episode on tv
    oh pikuchu ~ how youve lost weight over the years ~ XD

fishyfins

Reality Sculptor
    Years
    ahhh yes, i remember it like it was yesterday!
    the year was 1999, and i was on a trip to the USA with my dad, as we were both shooting in an international archery tournament in Las Vegas. i was really big on the animorph books at the time, and as with everything, america had far more than the UK (about twice as many published books as we had), so one thing i really wanted to do was go to a book shop and buy some american animorph books.
    when in the shop, i got talking to the store owner (he was asking about britain and stuff, lol), and he gave me some free animorph stuff. but then he showed me this thing called "pokemon", and these wierd little trading cards, saying it was all the rage. id never seen it or heard of it before, and he told me to watch out for it on the americal TV. so a few days later, i watch the TV in our hotel, and sure enough, pokemon comes on (the episode with Erika, her gloom, and the fire). i watch it, fall in love, and take back home stories of this strange american tv show (i didnt know it was anime and japanese at the time).
    about a year later i think it was, i see an advert for pokemon in an english magazine, and the show eventually starts to get shown on english TV, which i watch religiously every week. i got pokemon red the first xmas it was out (end of 2000 i think), and was hooked from there, i started collecting the cards, and got gold when it was released.
    then somehow, my interest dropped, and though i still dabbled a little on a rom of ruby when i found one, i never really played much more till i got diamond :)

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    The anime. I was so engrossed with it when I was younger. I quickly got into the games after I started watching the show though.

Years
    I remember getting a free poster from our cable company of the 151 Pokemon, but I didn't think much of it. I just remember how I always felt sick when I looked at Gloom, lol. After that, I started watching the anime. Then it was about time for Johto to come out, so I played Silver which really got me into Pokemon. I played Crystal, then went back and played Red. Yeah.

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2016
    It was August of 1999. We were at a restaurant and while waiting for our meals my mom was reading a magazine. The magazine had a report about the newest trend from Japan - Pokémon. She showed me the cute dinosaur (Charmander) and other pictures. The report said that the anime will air on September 1st. for the first time (in Germany). I watched the first episode and really liked it. Then I collected stickers and cards. In 2000 after months of begging I finally got my red version, trained my Venusaur and was happy.^^ Sadly that version broke a few months later.(All sprites are replaced by black squares and it doesn't save anymore) My next version was Silver.

That girl!

Oopsie, my fault.
    Years
    I got hooked up with Pokemon, all thanks to the anime!
    In truth, I've been wanting to play the games for a long time but such forces can't let me.
    I used to hate pokemon when I was little but when I was in 4th grade I started to like the show and continued to support it.
    So yeah, if it wasn't for the anime I wouldn't even be here in Pokecommunity^^

Totodile!

Yo, Champ in the making!
    Years
    I was 6 when I remember that I started watching the anime.
    The winter of 2003 my dad surprised me by buying me a GBA and Pokemon Silver. Yay!
    I was so excited that I played day and night ^_^
    Later on I did get Ruby but I still played Silver ...
    That game is irreplaceable <3

But I lost my Silver game and the GBA was broken by a friend of mine (I still remember that >_<). So yeah ... and I really don't play Ruby on my DS now xD

Ahh ... old times. I loved that game!

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
    It was the show that started it all for me. I was bored one day, and my mum shouted on me and said that there was a show starting I might like. So I sat down and watched it. It carried on from there right up until this very day. :3

The Girl Once named Tracie

She who tames Celebi
    Years
    When I was three years old, someone forgot to turn off the TV, and when an episode of pokemon came on, I happened to be walking by and.... you could say it was love at first sight. It was the episode where Ash battles Erika, the grass gym leader (: I will never forget this life-changing day, never in my life *content sigh*

Pokemaster-USA

Pokepwner
    Years
    When I got red I decided to just flat out loves everything that pokemon spawned tv movies cards spinnoffs I later got gold and crystal and after those I got ruby and emerald then leafgreen then diomond platnum and finally soulsilver

Fire-Red

Like no one ever was
    Years
    I remember playing my brother pokemon blue game not knowing what pokemon was so the game was the first media platform.

Back