• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How Different Would The Anime Be If...

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2013
    I was just wondering, imagine if ash had a different pokemon to choose as a starter such as, i dont know, say a rattata or even a abra?

post what you think...

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    The main character's 1st Pokemon would not be as cute or recognisable. I think that's about it, really.

Shedinjareese

Undercover Rocket
    Years
    it would still suck because the writers are the same.

Haha! Actually, if they made such a decision, I don't think they WOULD be the same people!

I think they need that fire,water,grass thing because it provides a good footing. If you started with normal there would be little tension between types when the season gets going. This way they have 3 strong and recognizable options: is the opponent strong against, weak against, or even against Ash?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    The show wouldn't be any different. Pikachu was just chosen because the writers felt like it. For all we know, Abra could've have been chosen and become just as cute. But then again, Ash would be in a very different state right now if that was the case 0_o.

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2024
    It would definately be exciting if Ash gained a different Pokemon, Pikachu was unexpected and cute back then, but imagine the possibilities if Ash somehow got... a random unexpectedly weak Pokemon like Pidgey or Magikarp (ish laughing).
    I would have REALLY loved it if he somehow got one of those rarer Pokemon such as Sandshrew, Slowpoke, Growlithe or Abra. XP It would be very different experience for Ash!
    In fact, it would give the anime a much needed edge and high drama. Think of all the fanfics you can write

Soren.K

Viking
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2008
    If Ash had a different Starter(like he got Charmander, Squirtle or Bulbasaur or even a Eevee or something) We would have been saying things like "Imagine what the world would be like if Ash didn't have ____(Instert Starter Here). THat's the biggest difference...Some other pokemon would be the popular pokemon who appears in Smash Brothers.

Although Yellow Version would be different aswell as The Pikachu forms appear in every game, maybe something else would appear in every game.

HeidiMoose

[Insert User Title Here]
    Years
    Actually, the writers originally were going to use Clefairy as Ash's starter Pokemon, but decided to go with Pikachu, so as to match the Manga.

Personally, I'm happy with their decision.
    I don't think any other pokemon would suite Ash as well.
    Especially Clefairy.
    Imagine seeing one of those hanging over Ash's shoulder all the time.

Plus.. though Pikachu can get annoying...

Clefairy is always annoying..
    (Just a personal opinion, of course.. )

Soren.K

Viking
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2008
    Seriously? Clefairy? Not only is that weird it's incredibly random..... I could see Jigglypuff before Clefairy.....that weird's me out a little...

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    I think the only Pokemon that could come close to being a good starter for Ash is Larvitar. But it's from Gen2 so there was no way that could happen.

Back