• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Battle] How do I add trainers into a ROM with CFRU?

Years
    • Any pronouns
    • Seen Mar 16, 2022
    I thought this would be extremely simple, but turns out I've had pretty much no luck with it so far.

The most success I've had so far was with my ROM that had CFRU and DPE, but I was only able to select pokemon and moves were completely unreadable.

I also tried using a ROM with just DPE and I was completely unable to even load that rom into my trainer editor. (Hopeless Trainer Editor)

Does it have something to do with the ini? Or do I have to add in trainers another way?
    Not really sure what I'm supposed to do. Any help would be appreciated!

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I thought this would be extremely simple, but turns out I've had pretty much no luck with it so far.

The most success I've had so far was with my ROM that had CFRU and DPE, but I was only able to select pokemon and moves were completely unreadable.

I also tried using a ROM with just DPE and I was completely unable to even load that rom into my trainer editor. (Hopeless Trainer Editor)

Does it have something to do with the ini? Or do I have to add in trainers another way?
    Not really sure what I'm supposed to do. Any help would be appreciated!

no cfru editing doesn't really have to do with inis.

most all edits have to be done within cfru or dpe, and almost no tools would work with it, that said, you can do this with HMA, Hex Maniac Advance as well.

You need to know, what values are tied to trainers.

There's the sprite, the trainer class, the trainer flag, the team, intro and after battle text, & their win/lose text outcomes for before the battle ends.

The reason most tools and programs don't work with cfru, and the link is because its an expaned rom, with a large amount of the core data moved around or changed in some way,
    so its no longer compatible.

So making new trainers I think should be done in cfru's files, but once you have flags etc. you can add or edit most of the other fields using HMA, which would make things go faster.

I recommend checking out the pret github and see if there are any tutorials for how to add trainers in decomp.

If there is, that's most likely the closest thing to the process you'll need to go through.

Once you actually know the steps though it should be an easy process.

Years
    • Any pronouns
    • Seen Mar 16, 2022
    no cfru editing doesn't really have to do with inis.

most all edits have to be done within cfru or dpe, and almost no tools would work with it, that said, you can do this with HMA, Hex Maniac Advance as well.

You need to know, what values are tied to trainers.

There's the sprite, the trainer class, the trainer flag, the team, intro and after battle text, & their win/lose text outcomes for before the battle ends.

The reason most tools and programs don't work with cfru, and the link is because its an expaned rom, with a large amount of the core data moved around or changed in some way,
    so its no longer compatible.

So making new trainers I think should be done in cfru's files, but once you have flags etc. you can add or edit most of the other fields using HMA, which would make things go faster.

I recommend checking out the pret github and see if there are any tutorials for how to add trainers in decomp.

If there is, that's most likely the closest thing to the process you'll need to go through.

Once you actually know the steps though it should be an easy process.

It makes sense I have to do it from there, so I'll start looking into that now.

Thank you for the much needed directions, I was completely lost on what to do before

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    It makes sense I have to do it from there, so I'll start looking into that now.

Thank you for the much needed directions, I was completely lost on what to do before

happy to help, I've been in your shoes many a time.

I recommend getting a program you can search the whole repository with, if you don't already have one.
    This what I see when I work in the one I use, Microsoft Visual studio 2019 (community version) -that's the free one-
    How do I add trainers into a ROM with CFRU?

May seem a bit overwhelming at first glance, but its very useful once adjusted to.
    (also there are other options out there you don't have to get this program just because I use it.)

Back