• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How Do I Obtain The Red Gyarados?

Moonlit Umbreon

Elusive Within The Shadows
    Years
    I know the red Gyarados can be found in Lake Verity, I spent three hours trying to catch it with the super fishing rod but it's no use, I can't seem to find it! Does anybody know precisely how to catch it? D:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Oh dear... am afraid that the Red Gyarados is not nesserarily in Lake Verity. By the time you get there, it is supposedly gone (my suspisions that Birch got it before you and is planning to use it to take over the world). ;) In terms of programming code in the game - it is never there in the first place.

The TV report on it is, in fact, merely a referance to the red shiny Gyrandos in the GSC games - one of the many, many references - mentions of Prof Elm with eggs, Jasmine, guy how talks about various things such as Lugia + Whirl islands, and Clerfairy dancing at Mt Moon - a in-game event in GSC... one can go on.

So basically, the only way to find a shiny Gyarados in the 3rd or 4th gen games is by luck - the 1 in 8182 chance of it being shiny (or finding a shiny Magikarp - same chance there as well). There is not 'easy' way for the shiny Gyarados. One could find one in Lake Verity, but you'll need a good amount of luck.

Moonlit Umbreon

Elusive Within The Shadows
    Years
    Arrghh All that time for nothing!! D: Thanks so much for telling me, I could have wasted another three hours if it weren't for you! Damn. Nothing's available in this game without an event. xD

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Here's some maths for ya ;)
    If you can find and beat/run from two pokes a minute, and search do this for two hours a night, statistics say you'll have your first shiny after about a month. I worked that out for another thread yesterday :P

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Well, not quite, and it assumes you have average luck (techniqually, one can go forever and not find a shiny poke), but it's close enough. :) Or, one could chain - but only for the Pokes found in grass. Also, for a specific Poke, it's going to be filled with encounters of other Pokemon - e.g Gyarados in the same routes as other water types as well - so one may get a shiny something-else as well. Which isn't that bad. :)

Toblerone

Which chocolate is the best?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2010
    I wouldn't try getting a red Gyrados in the first place, as it is in water, which is unchainable. I, too, went looking for the red Gyrados when i got a rod. But, alas..

Patchy

-
    Years
    My advice is if you're going EV training in Attack, fish for Gyarados. I know lots of people who've gotten them shiny that way.

Hope that helps a bit. ^v^

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    The TV report on it is, in fact, merely a referance to the red shiny Gyrandos in the GSC games - one of the many, many references - mentions of Prof Elm with eggs, Jasmine, guy how talks about various things such as Lugia + Whirl islands, and Clerfairy dancing at Mt Moon - a in-game event in GSC... one can go on.

What's also interesting is the potion that Cynthia gives you says it's from the medicene shop in Cianwood City. The one in the important items pocket...I thought it was cool that they put in something that small, I only noticed it a few weeks ago haha

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
    Years
    I was looking at the name your shinies thread, and a lot of people happen to have caught a red gyarados (including myself) out of any other shiny without pokeradar. Wierd huh?

raging lion

Veteran Player
    Years
    There could be a chance of you getting a red gyrados by breeding a gyrados with magikarp/gyrados. I don't remember with whom i have breed my gyrados. But by luck i got a shiny magikarp which eveloved into red gyrados. Some of the eggs were normal, but after some time I got shiny magikarp.

Back