• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do I start rom hacking pokemon

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Im sort of new to rom hacking. Is there any software that you might recommend?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Im sort of new to rom hacking. Is there any software that you might recommend?

First thing I'd recommend is to get your thoughts together on what your idea will be. Get everything written down in a doc.
    Then look around here and read as many tutorials as you can to get a lay of the land, and see what options are available to you.

Once you know the difference between binary and decomp, and the basics of scripting. I'd say you're about ready to get started.

Once you're at that point its like what DeepStrider2 said, it depends on the gen of the game as well as what method you're using binary or decomp/disassembly.

But binary can do what decomp can, just differently and with different steps.
    If your interest is the early (pre gen 3) games, I recommend you talk with JoJoBear, he's the only person I know familiar with those, since he hacks gen 1 I believe.

Good luck, and welcome to the community!

Back