• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do rarities work?

Years
    You know how the cards are divided by common/uncommon/rare?
    When you buy a pack you get one rare. Is this completely random, just picking on of the rare cards, or are certain cards weighted?

tldr: Are some rare cards rarer than other rare cards?

Do you have an equal chance to get any two cards form the same pack that have the same rarity symbol?

Years
    You know how the cards are divided by common/uncommon/rare?
    When you buy a pack you get one rare. Is this completely random, just picking on of the rare cards, or are certain cards weighted?

tldr: Are some rare cards rarer than other rare cards?

Do you have an equal chance to get any two cards form the same pack that have the same rarity symbol?

In theory, yes. I don't work for Nintendo, though, so I don't know these probabilities.

pkmntrainerpaul

New account: P-Sign
    Years

Well, I think that's completely random.
    About 1 year ago, I bought a booster Diamond & Pearl Great Encounters,and inside it were a Holographic Cresselia and a Reverse Holo Cresselia, both rares.

Years
    Generally, you will get one or two rares in a pack of ten cards.

However, there are some rares that are, well, common. I believe the frequency of each card is different.
    Uncommons are all of the trainers, stadiums, supporters and other cards of that nature plus some poke'mon. I have gotten everywhere from one to four uncommons in a pack, but usually an average of two of three.
    Commons are all of the other cards in the pack, like baltoy or pidgey that you might have a million of. All energy cards are common even though they're fairly rare in the usual ten card packs. If you play league, however, you generally get an energy card in a minipack at each marker. ((Just not this season XD))

pkmntrainerpaul

New account: P-Sign
    Years
    Generally, you will get one or two rares in a pack of ten cards.

However, there are some rares that are, well, common. I believe the frequency of each card is different.
    Uncommons are all of the trainers, stadiums, supporters and other cards of that nature plus some poke'mon. I have gotten everywhere from one to four uncommons in a pack, but usually an average of two of three.
    Commons are all of the other cards in the pack, like baltoy or pidgey that you might have a million of. All energy cards are common even though they're fairly rare in the usual ten card packs. If you play league, however, you generally get an energy card in a minipack at each marker. ((Just not this season XD))

Well, last month I bought a blister, tin and booster from Supreme Victors.
    This is the most strange thing,which proves you're right:
    Blister:
    Electevire FB lv X
    Tin:
    Electevire FB lv X
    Lucario C
    Booster:
    Lucario C

I believe that's enough proof XD

Last edited:

Mudkipable

RP/fanfic/penguin/amphy lover
    Years
    Well, last month I bought a blister, tin and booster from Supreme Victors.
    This is the most strange thing,which proves you're right:
    Blister:
    Electevire FB lv X
    Tin:
    Electevire FB lv X
    Lucario GL
    Booster:
    Lucario GL

I believe that's enough proof XD
    I don't think there's a Lucario GL is from SV. It's from RR. You maybe mean Lucario C.

spastman

Pokemon Proffesor
    Years
    BTW, does anybody know how rare are arceus cards?
    In 1 booster box, there are 9 (test with 3 box, with my friends).
    LVX and/or shinning are in total 4 (bv 3 LVX and 1 shinjning, or 3 shinning and 1lvx, ...)

but how many rare cards is a arceus?

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2011
    Just a random question, comparing all of the Ultra rare pokemon cards which were the hardest to get?

Pokemon Star
    Pokemon Ex
    Shining Pokemon
    Level X

Back