• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen How do we know gen III takes place the same time as Gen I?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I've been wondering, what proof do we have that RSE takes place the same time as gen I? I know people say because we can trade but one could also trade between the Orre games and there story lines took place years apart...

Last edited:

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Huh. I never really thought about it. I personally don't really think too hard about when video games take place.

But I suppose it's possible either way.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
    I would like to think of this as a reboot for the franchise. I assume that it's because gen 3 was when we got FR/LG, which happen to be remakes of gen 1. In other words, I think that Nintendo and GF retconned away the previous generations when FR/LG first came out.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    Yeah but the same could be said if R/S is remade in Gen 5...I think R/S/E are the odd ones in the time line...
    I have been arguing about that for awhile. Personally I think that FRLG comes after RS, then Emerald (lol manga reference anyone?) This is a weird timeline.

offtopic: I highly dissagree when others say that RGBYFRLG takes place at the same time as RSE.

CHAZ The Cat

Come Charmander light my fire~
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    I'm not familiar with mangas or anything, but I always thought the timeline was set by the timing of the game's releases.

RBY (also being the original set) (FRLG are here too)
    GSC (three years later)
    RSE (I always thought it would be about five to seven years later)

I'm not really familiar with the latter games, so I prefer not to mention them.
    I base my thought on common knowledge on the games and the storylines, the technological and graphical developments felt from game to game, and also the amount of knowledge and experience shown from Professor Oak and the Pokédex enthusiasts throughout.

For instance, in the first series, there were 151 Pokémon known to the professor. According to FRLG, he only then (by the time Red becomes the Champ) discovers the existence of other Pokémon (the Johto gen). My thinking is he then explored Red and Blue's Pokédex, eventually met Prof. Elm in Johto, and three years later the GSC adventures were possible. An AIDE of his mentioned he had a radio show in Kanto in FRLG, that could have been the start of his radiophonic career, that eventually led him to the biggest radio station known in Pokéland, in Goldenrod. Now a lot of Kanto and Johto Pokémon are present in RSE, thus they are well know about, and thus their region seem knowledgable as well. Accordingly, these games are set a few years after the first adventures (and assuming that NO ONE knows more about Pokémon than Prof. Oak. NO ONE! Grr).

Did any of that make sense to you guys?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    We really don't, but I mean...
    See we have no proof, so I think people shouldn't say that RSE took place during RGB...the only time lines we really have clues for are
    RGB took place 2 years before GSC and DPP took place near the end of GSC due to the red gyrados report, and that BWG took place after GSCDPP as a member of Plasma mentions Team Rocket and Team Galactic failured due to their lack of Stealth.
    So where does that leave Hoenn? Who knows?...

Pokémon Grey

Generation V
    Years

See we have no proof, so I think people shouldn't say that RSE took place during RGB...the only time lines we really have clues for are
    RGB took place 2 years before GSC and DPP took place near the end of GSC due to the red gyrados report, and that BWG took place after GSCDPP as a member of Plasma mentions Team Rocket and Team Galactic failured due to their lack of Stealth.

RGB took 3 years before GSC not 2
    and here's the timeline according to bulbapedia
    https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/History_of_the_Pokémon_world

Years

It's true, there's not really any solid evidence that places RSE somewhere in the games' timeline. Personally, I think RSE took place before or during FRLG. Also, don't forget that Jasmine stated that she wanted to do contests in Sinnoh sometime in HGSS.

The official timeline is:

FRLG -3 years-> HGSS and DPPt -?> BW

There are a few things that helps us fit Hoenn in. For instance, Steven appears in HGSS and states that he's the champion and that he's met other children like you. That's not entirely helpful, but I think he was referring to the fact that all the protagonist's are silent and give off the same vibe. That would mean that Steven had already met Brendan/May. This is by no means definite proof, but I personally think this points to RSE taking place before HGSS and DPPt.

No one knows where Orre goes. All we know is that XD takes place 5 years after Colosseum. I'd say that Colosseum takes place simultaneously with RSE. I believe the only reference to other regions in the Orre games is a book titled "Hoenn Pokemon" or something in XD.

Other games to throw into the timeline are the Ranger games. I think they are further proof that RSE takes place before GSC and DPPt. Actually, I've only played the first one. In the original Pokemon Ranger, it's mentioned that Groudon and Kyogre retreated to Fiore to heal their wounds after a fierce fight. That was an obvious reference to Emerald. It's important to note that in game canon, the protagonist never catches legendaries.

Last edited:

Kitrigar

Butt Puncher
    Years
    RSE should be taking place before GSC and DPPt due to the large amount of ancient typed Pokemon in that game.

Could be possibly taking place BEFORE R/B/Y. But, the technology in R/S/E doesn't say so. Haha.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years

This must be proof that there will be a R/S remake that will take place after B/W.

Also, Steven said that he's the Hoenn champion in HG/SS when Wallace is the champion in Emerald. This might mean that Steven will return as the champion again in a R/S remake.

Back