• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you think Z moves will change online battling?

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2022
    Honestly until the game has been out for a few months I still feel there is no why know but from first impression what do you think?

Personally I don't see the type Z moves as bearing that much on any meta game. From what I have read they are the physical or special based on the type of move is used and they only add a set amount of damage. Based on this it seems like a waste of an item slot considering you will be locked into using only one type of increased attack and using it only once. I prefer a choice specs or band over this. Also I see a lot of people using protect, subing, or switching into an immunity.

Pokemon based Z moves I feel may impact the meta. I wanna try using Eevee`s Z move then baton passing it to mixed sweeper. If you can use a Z move with a Mega that could be insane.

Anyway anyone else think differently?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I think the species-exclusive Z-Moves may see some use if the Pokémon in question is already good without it. Like in your example with Eevee, would you consistently be able to set up like that, or would your Eevee get wiped the turn it used its Z-Move? It definitely sounds like a fun idea, but at the same time it seems like it would be better suited for more casual play.

Maybe the Type ones could see some use, but I don't imagine they'll actually make unviable Pokémon any more usable. Like, would you really run the Fire Z-Move on, say, a Magmortar? Or would you rather just use your Talonflame? It could totally help during your story playthrough, but your Magmortar is still gonna be Magmortar at the end of the online battle-filled day.

The fact that damaging Z-Moves may very well be stopped dead in their tracks by Protect and the such also makes me think most Z-Moves won't see much competitive use, if at all. Unless any turn out to be really, really phenomenal, they seem more suited as Items for lighthearted battles to me.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2022
    I think the species-exclusive Z-Moves may see some use if the Pokémon in question is already good without it. Like in your example with Eevee, would you consistently be able to set up like that, or would your Eevee get wiped the turn it used its Z-Move? It definitely sounds like a fun idea, but at the same time it seems like it would be better suited for more casual play.

Maybe the Type ones could see some use, but I don't imagine they'll actually make unviable Pokémon any more usable. Like, would you really run the Fire Z-Move on, say, a Magmortar? Or would you rather just use your Talonflame? It could totally help during your story playthrough, but your Magmortar is still gonna be Magmortar at the end of the online battle-filled day.

The fact that damaging Z-Moves may very well be stopped dead in their tracks by Protect and the such also makes me think most Z-Moves won't see much competitive use, if at all. Unless any turn out to be really, really phenomenal, they seem more suited as Items for lighthearted battles to me.

Yeah I see what your saying with eevee it would be more casual, maybe if you set up screens before using it, switch into a choiced ghost move, burn them if they are a physical attacker. Even if you set it up though a taunt, whirlwind, or roar would suck.

Hopefully the Z moves have some bearing though really want to see some underdog pokemon shine :).

Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2018
    I can't remember where, but I heard people talking about the datamine leaks saying protect doesn't fully block z move damage.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2022
    I can't remember where, but I heard people talking about the datamine leaks saying protect doesn't fully block z move damage.

Depending on how much gets through would determine the useful than. That would be a nice plus

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2022
    So I don't want to post about any of the new info datamined for people who don't like leaks but if you do here.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    I think Z-moves will be interesting, we don't know much about them as of now so we'll see how they do in competitive, I'm sure some pokemon will really benefit from them. Overall they seem like a nice new a addition to make new strategies, can't wait to see what people do with them.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I can see it have 1 of 2 effects on the online battling. But it strongly depends on something.

That is this, can we use more than one Z move in a battle? I know we can only use a Z move one with a pokemon with a stone, but it hasn't been confirmed if we can use more than 1 Z move as long as it is a different pokemon.

Now if it does end up we can use more than 1 per battle with a different pokemon, I feel that that Pokemon Battles will end up being who is faster. From what we have seen, most Z Moves are going to take out a pokemon in 1 shot. Especially if we use Thunder, Blizzard, Hyper Beam ect as the base move.

Other wise, I don't think it will have a huge effect. Pokemon will still be useless despite was Masuda and the creators say about making weaker pokemon useful with the Z moves.

Mega Evolution I think will still have a larger impact than a Z-Move, especially if we can only use 1 Z-Move total per battle.

Years
  • That is this, can we use more than one Z move in a battle? I know we can only use a Z move one with a pokemon with a stone, but it hasn't been confirmed if we can use more than 1 Z move as long as it is a different pokemon.

Now if it does end up we can use more than 1 per battle with a different pokemon, I feel that that Pokemon Battles will end up being who is faster. From what we have seen, most Z Moves are going to take out a pokemon in 1 shot. Especially if we use Thunder, Blizzard, Hyper Beam ect as the base move.

Other wise, I don't think it will have a huge effect. Pokemon will still be useless despite was Masuda and the creators say about making weaker pokemon useful with the Z moves.

Mega Evolution I think will still have a larger impact than a Z-Move, especially if we can only use 1 Z-Move total per battle.

It's apparently only one use of a Z-Move per battle, even if multiple Pokemon in your team have a Z-Crystal. This means competitive sets will have to limit to one Z-Crystal holder per team, similar to Mega Evolution. It also means you have to make a huge decision on which Pokemon will take up your Z-Move user slot, especially since Z-Moves can be used by any Pokemon unlike Mega Evolution.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • It's apparently only one use of a Z-Move per battle, even if multiple Pokemon in your team have a Z-Crystal. This means competitive sets will have to limit to one Z-Crystal holder per team, similar to Mega Evolution. It also means you have to make a huge decision on which Pokemon will take up your Z-Move user slot, especially since Z-Moves can be used by any Pokemon unlike Mega Evolution.

That is good to know. I was hoping it would be like that. If all pokemon could use a Z-Move per battle, it would turn into a 1 hit think I think. Would almost be like using 1 hit ko moves with 100% accuracy.

Years
  • i also hope z moves never miss. imagine your accuracy being reduced, and you missing the z move? what a waste

Apparently I heard Z-Moves actually can have a chance of missing when the right conditions are met. It is a waste, but that's what I remember being mentioned on how they work.

JoyStar

We're all mad here...
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    Well Splash of all things is apparently useful now, so...

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I think it's important to note that if you choose to have the option of using a Z-Move, you're giving up the option of a hold item (meaning no Mega Z-Moves). With this in mind, I do think Z-Moves will be a kind of cheese. Suppose you have a Pokémon and you keep bluffing Choice, and the opponent thinks that you're Choice as well, but you're actually Z-Crystal. Then you get to hit them with a nice, juicy Z-move for the kill. Yes, I understand that this already works in some situations that don't require Z-Moves, but Z-Moves definitely open up options due to their sheer power.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    Well, Z-Splash raises Attack by 3 stages, so if a gyarados gets that off, enjoy being sweeped (Especially if it's bred for speed)

Smash Brony

Cool Dude
    Years
  • After seeing those videos on YouTube & seeing how different moves affect Z moves, I think they may very well accomplish making some (SOME!!!)
    less viable Pokémon better.

w1f1pa55w0rd

Ho-oh-oh
    Years
  • Apparently I heard Z-Moves actually can have a chance of missing when the right conditions are met. It is a waste, but that's what I remember being mentioned on how they work.

well, oh crap. it would be really awesome to have them never missing. it makes them lose that grandeur, like mega evolution. it doesnt make your pokemon invincible, or doesnt prevent your stats from decreasing. this makes these lose their insane looks, and the show of power

Back