• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How does Meowth talk, but not all non-ledendary Pokemon?

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
  • In the episode Go West Young Meowth, he teaches himself to talk in order to impress a female Meowth.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2017
    In the episode Go West Young Meowth, he teaches himself to talk in order to impress a female Meowth.

Really, I never ever knew that.
    I thought it was just that they were born special pokemon (or half human...jk).
    Like slowking, lucario and the other talking pokemon.
    .........|---------|
    Btw, why do they talk

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Those Pokemon, if i remember correctly, were using telepathy to talk and were very unique Pokemon, cause obviously not all Lucario and Slowking and Shaymin can talk through telepathy (though now that i think about it, I don't remember why the Slowking in the second movie could actually talk... )

FireSnow

Years
  • Meowth just taught himself to do it, thinking it would impress the non-talking female Meowth. Theoretically, Meowth probably could teach other Pokemon to talk if he wanted to as long as that other Pokemon showed the same kind of determination that Meowth had when he was learning.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Then why don't they?!
    Two reasons.

First, there's no point. Meowth learned to talk to impress a girl and Pokemon can inherently understand human speech (they just can't speak it without learning how). There isn't much merit to teaching Pokemon to speak, and there's no proof that it'd even work without considerable effort.

The second reason is because he probably wouldn't want to. When Meowth learned to speak, the girl didn't like him more for it. It basically turned him into a black sheep. And sure, he accepts this, but I doubt that would be something that he would want to wish on other Pokemon.

FireSnow

Years
  • I agree with that a bit but I also think he likes being so unique at the same time, the only Pokemon in the world who can talk with humans is pretty cool in my opinion (Save for that Slowking in the movie). If i were him personally, I wouldn't want to teach another Pokemon to talk because I would lose my uniqueness.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Not to mention Meowth is in Team Rocket. If he taught other Pokemon to talk he'd be doing good and not bad...Lol.

yillbs

Billy Bob
    Years
  • In episode 17 of the first season of indigo league, a giant tentacruel used meowth as a mouth piece... while he wasn't able to talk himself, he was able to use psychic to make meowth talk for them. Does that count?

Back