• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How does typing work in this game?

Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2017
    I've seen pigeots doing normal type moves deal not very effective damage to vaporeons a water type. I've seen a lot of very strange things like this so would like to know whats going on.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • I've seen pigeots doing normal type moves deal not very effective damage to vaporeons a water type. I've seen a lot of very strange things like this so would like to know whats going on.
    The Pidgeot was probably using Steel Wing.

1lfLKma.jpg

Many Pokémon in Pokémon GO can learn moves that they don't naturally learn in the cores series games/other mainstream media.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    As Jae said typings work mostly in the normal way and you probably had Steel Wing on the Pidgeot, but there are some exceptions. Normals can be hit with Ghost types, 4x super effective isn't a thing and a lot of people have reported cases of certain Pokémon counting as only one of their two typings for type effectiveness (I've mostly seen this with Lapras). I'd assume the latter is probably a bug but in general type match-ups are just a slightly toned down version of how they work normally.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2016
    What happens when you get random abilities that don't match the pokemon's type?

I'm unfamiliar with Pokemon in general, but I'm getting into Pokemon GO.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    What happens when you get random abilities that don't match the pokemon's type?

There's a mechanic called STAB (Same Type Attack Bonus) in the main series games which means that if your Pokémon uses a move which is the same type as it, it'll do extra damage. In this game that damage amplifier is x1.25 so it's worthwhile having a move which is the same type as your Pokémon. You then have to focus on type match-ups where super effective moves will deal x1.25 damage and resisted moves will deal x0.75 damage but I'll assume you've learned these by now. If you haven't just say and I'll be very happy to explain this part too :)

VisualJae

Years
  • What happens when you get random abilities that don't match the pokemon's type?

Abilities? You mean moves?

Side note: "abilities" in the Pokémon realm of games tend to mean something completely different. If you're talking about a Pokémon's attacks (like the Pidgeot's Steel Wing/Aerial Ace in the picture I provided above), then those are called "moves."

Anyway, moves aren't very straightforward in the Pokémon games, but in Pokémon GO they are fairly straightforward.

In core series games (found in handheld consoles), moves that match the same type as the Pokémon, for instance, Aerial Ace is a Flying move and Pidgeot is a Flying type, then that move deals 1.5x damage. We call this the "Same Type Attack Bonus" or STAB. In Pokémon GO (I had to double check this), STAB is 1.25x damage. Source from the Silph Road's testing.

Some moves hit harder per hit, but has lower DPS overall. That's a whole other conversation when you reach the point where you have to optimize your team.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2016
    No, I'm still new. Level 17 but haven't chosen a team yet....

Weird that they wouldn't make move type matter in Pokemon GO.

VisualJae

Years
  • They do matter, just not as much. Probably because it's a little more noob friendly so the masses can get into it more easily.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Move types do matter a fair bit - with STAB and super effective each giving a x1.25 bonus to the damage dealt you can start to hit pretty hard if you have the right move type on the right Pokémon against the right typing. That's Pokémon in a nutshell though; it can be a big game of rock paper scissors sometimes haha.

Back