• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] How hard would it be to make an online decompiler\compiler for Emerald and FireRed?

Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2023
    Hello,

I am fairly new in the decomp hacking scene and I was just wondering how hard would it be to make such website\tool. I feel like the main barrier for this community is the initial setup of the decomps and if we had a tool that could do that remotely without having to download and setup everything, I believe we would get even more support and people willing to make their hackroms using decomp instead of binary tools.

I would like to know the general opinion of everyone here before I ever attempt to make something like that, and I am lowkey hoping there is such tool\website and I just haven't founded yet.

Have a nice day!

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    The decomps already have this (kinda). The CI checks that run on every pull request build the ROM to be sure that the request's changes don't break anything. It doesn't give you a downloadable ROM file once it's done, but it could be modified to do so. The problem with doing that is that if you build a clean ROM online and make the file accessible to anyone, you've essentially made an illegal ROM sharing page (just with extra steps!).

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2023
    I don't see how this is useful. Especially for a novice, who would likely need to recompile things a lot, wouldn't zipping/uploading/downloading so much be much more of a hassle than just setting it up once?

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2023
    IMHO I don't think it would help much. The only way I could see something like that being helpful is if you wanted to make certain changes to a ROM through binary hacking, then decompile that ROM to make other changes. Other than that, what keeps people away from decompile hacking is the initial learning curve and that it at least feels like making changes takes more steps. Of course, the trade-off is decompiling allows much more flexibility and freedom, but not everyone is willing to commit to learning everything needed to take advantage of it.

Back