• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How healthy is your relationship with your parents?

Years
    My mom: I hate her with all my heart. She is an evil, unloving, selfish person who tortured my first pet to death just to teach me a lesson. If I had the chance to do the same to her, I would.

My dad: a drinker, smoker, and a fool. He preaches the false word and acts like he knows it all and that I should respect him as if he were God. I'm not mad, I'm furious with him

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I've got a great relationship with my parents now that I moved out. That's not to say that it was bad when I lived at home, but I needed a little more freedom than just my one corner in the house and also my mom made me feel like I needed to spend time with her 24/7. Now that I'm on my own I make designated time with them and it works a lot better.
    Things were kind of similar for me xD I argued with mum soooo much when I still lived at home.

Nowadays, mum is one of my most trusted friends and dad is one of the most intelligent and interesting people I know. They are kind and positive and I don't call them often enough. Things were rocky when I grew up because they were rather strict with me and my siblings. I think it's made me a better person than I would be if they had spoiled me though. I had a lovely childhood in many ways.

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
    Years
    I'm, just, incredibly grateful for my parents.

How my parents and I managed to get along is a long and complex story. Growing up, they couldn't relate to me or my interests to any extent- probably because of the cliched generation gap- and that led to a lot of problems. This situation changed for the better after two unforeseen events. I fell seriously ill twice in my life. The first time it was a simple surgery gone wrong which led to an incredible amount of hassle, and the second time I developed acute stress disorder due to overworking.

These events affected our relations in complex ways. For one, my parents realized how important I am to their lives. At the same time, I saw all of the troubles they had to go through due to my sickness, and that increased my respect and appreciation for them exponentially.

I always liked reading about things like philosophy and science, which my parents had a difficult time to relate with. For a large part of my life, they saw these as distractions from the more 'important' stuff. It's not entirely their fault either, I frequently lost my patience when talking to them about these issues. After the aforementioned increase in mutual respect, however, they not only started to take an interest in what I do, but encouraged my habits by getting me rare, original books that I couldn't afford.

Long story short, I've been tremendously benefited from their support in what I do, and I like to think I've in turn made them proud by my achievements in school and otherwise, by growing up to be a mature, cultured individual with varied interests.

This may sound super weird, but standing where I am now, I feel incredibly grateful for my past illnesses. Without those episodes, I doubt my family would have as much shared love and respect as it now does. And this environment has contributed greatly to me being who I am today.

Last edited:
    Back