• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How long have you been into pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Since the anime first came out in around 1998 or 99. (My first episode was "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak," during the series' first run through dubbed. That should give you an idea of the exact date.)

So, I'd say around nine or ten years. And I blame my addiction on the cheesy humor. I mean, the entire battle against the talking Gastly? I still think that's the best battle that ever took place in the anime (but that's just me).

Andelc

Cool Trainer Alex
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2011
    I started getting into pokemon at the very end of kindergarden which was 1999....
    So I have liked pokemon for =D 10 years.
    Man...I wish pokemon was still as popular as it was back then. good times

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
    Since the anime first came out in around 1998 or 99. (My first episode was "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak," during the series' first run through dubbed. That should give you an idea of the exact date.)

So, I'd say around nine or ten years. And I blame my addiction on the cheesy humor. I mean, the entire battle against the talking Gastly? I still think that's the best battle that ever took place in the anime (but that's just me).

That is one of my favourite Pokemon episodes, and that's one of the reasons why.

But anyway, I first heard about Pokemon when someone came into my fifth-grade class and talked about violence, then TV shows that provoke it in kids. The first show he mentioned was Pokemon, which most of the class knew about but not me. Days later, a student in my class brought in some Pokemon stuff for show-and-tell, one of which was a Pikachu plushie. Days later, I saw some kids sharing Pokemon cards, one of which was a Ponyta card. (So Ponyta was the second Pokemon I knew about--how odd.) Things continued in this fashion--I just learned about different kinds of Pokemon. I was drawn in by the idea of cute little monsters, probably (besides, I had already gotten into the Kirby video games, and if they don't have cute little monsters, nothing does).

After fifth grade ended, I watched the TV show for the first time--the first episode I ever saw was the third episode, "Ash catches a Pokemon". From then on, I watched the show every day, eager to know about all the different kinds of Pokemon. I made it a small goal to know about every Pokemon in existence; I did this through watching the show and the Pokerap that followed. (I still remember how the Pokerap went to this day.)
    *Bonus: I admit to having first learned about psychic powers by watching the episode "Abra and the Psychic Showdown". Before then, I didn't know what the word "psychic" even meant.

Shortly after that, I became interested in collecting Pokemon cards. The first four cards I ever had were Abra, Ponyta, Starmie, and a psychic energy. I became very interested in collecting these cards, but over the years, I found nobody to play with. I abandoned collection of these cards shortly after Ruby/Sapphire came out.

About a year after I became interested in Pokemon, two things happened. One, after seeing the first Pokemon movie, I created my first Fakemon, a penguin Pokemon named Peppy. (ARRRGH, Game Freak stole my idea when they created Piplup years later!) Two, for my twelfth birthday, I got Pokemon Yellow (I already had a gameboy), and fell in love with it. Although I got stuck in three places: trying to beat Brock, trying to get into Saffron City, and trying to beat the Elite Four. I ended up with a wonderful team with Hypno as my best Pokemon, and Butterfree, Dewgong, Dodrio, Seadra, and Pikachu were also on it. Unfortunately, my nephew deleted my game by attempting to use a Game Shark on it...

Years later, I continued to watch the anime, but by the fourth or fifth season I began to lose interest. Admittedly I did regain interest slightly by the sixth season or so (and nearly fell in love with Harley), but after that... well let's say I never ever saw a Pokemon episode with a Sinnoh Pokemon in it (besides Munchlax and Bonsly and Mime Jr. and Lucario, who appeared before Ash's arrival in Sinnoh).

But my interest in the games has never ceased. I have owned every mainstream video game except Red and Blue and Fire Red, and still play Emerald and Diamond and occasionally Pearl, while on rare occasions visiting my old Crystal game. I created loads more fakemon and even had a well-thought-out-but-never-written Pokemon fanfic to go with it.

Although I see that I'm in danger of stopping playing the video games (I'm teetering on whether or not I should get Platinum when it comes out), although I have stopped watching the anime and collecting the cards, and although my Pokemon fanfic is no longer Pokemon, my interest in Pokemon is currently fueled by my participation in four Pokemon RPG's, and my interest in the concept of cute little monsters with magical powers, kept inside little round compartments.

Max_Damage39

I am not pathetic!... Am I?
    Years
    Ever since Pokemon debuted on TV in Australia (I believe it was the same time as America, 1998) I have been hooked. The first Pokemon game I ever got was Pokemon Red and I nearly fainted when I got it. I have bought every game since then (even the crap ones like Trozei and PBR). Pokemon has been a big influence on my life.

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
    I got into it when the anime first hit US shores in September 1998, saw the first episode on UPN and got Blue version when it came out, never looked back since. I'm happy because since I'm an '88 baby (EARTH DRAGONS, **** YEAH!) I was 10 years old at the time, and knowing that this kid in this show is 10, too, always stuck with me. So if Ash had aged as we did (at least, in the strict American continuity) then him and I'd be the same age.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2008
    Wow, I been a POKEMON fan since 1998 when I was like 6 years old when I was an actual POKEMON FREAK.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    In 1998 when I was two I found my first #pokemon card; Shelder. i've liked it ever since.

Ichikool

D/P Lover
    Years
    • Age 32
    • NY
    • Seen Feb 26, 2018
    I've been into it since I was eight years old... so it's been eight years. ^^
    I saw it before that, like when I was six or seven but I wasn't really 'into' it yet then.

Abe

Years
    I'm a pokéholic since the first time I saw them on Tv over here. So, it has been 9 years to me...
    FOR THE LOVE OF PIKACHU!!! 9 YEARS!!!! I should be ashamed of myself.

Aikoh

go go rudolph rangers
    Years
    I was introduced to Pokémon by a cousin when I was eight and I have been hooked on it since. I think that my first anime was Sailor Moon, but my mom is certain that I loved Pokémon before I loved Sailor Moon, so I think it's safe to assume that it was my first anime since she remembers all of my childhood obsessions. I guess that's one reason I was bound to come back to it - ten years is a really long time to be into a fandom!

DavyJones4our

Man of the Sea
    Years
    I was introduced to Pokémon by a cousin when I was eight and I have been hooked on it since. I think that my first anime was Sailor Moon, but my mom is certain that I loved Pokémon before I loved Sailor Moon, so I think it's safe to assume that it was my first anime since she remembers all of my childhood obsessions. I guess that's one reason I was bound to come back to it - ten years is a really long time to be into a fandom!

Yeah, Sailor Moon (or maybe it was Samurai Pizza Cats) was my first exposure to anime as well. Haha, good ol' UPN.

vano-m

2nd year University student
    Years
    In Russia only first 108 series were shown on TV in 2000. I realized, i cant live without pokemon. My friend from childhood, now living in German. With him we played TCG whole summer. All days from Sunrise to Sunset. I luv this game. Then i stopped eatching it, cause only one pokemon channel was banned. I downloaded all 10 seasons in the beginning of 2008. NOSTALGIE! Now i am complitely pokefan again. I wish only tgere is more TCG players. Cause in St.-Peterburg, Russia there aren`t a lot of `em now. And it`s little bit difficult to buy cards.

POKEMON FOREVER!

Whatthehell

Pokemon Crato Creator...
    Years
    Ive been into Pokemon ever since Red & Blue and haven't stopped playing since.

Ive completed EVERY game full Pokedex and all :D

Wth~

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back