• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen How many of you, after playing HG/SS, went to play the original Gold or Silver?

Darkfalz

A.K.A "The Bang-Shuhbang"
Years
  • I did. I missed the old school gameplay on my GameBoy. When I finished Soul Silver, I thought wow, this is only a remake coming out in 2010, and think all this was in a game back in the late 90s, the original was so much better, because it was a great Pokemon game. I am replaying the original Pokemon Silver Version, which I am about 4 badges into... Not many significant differences between Silver and Soul Silver, except the music for Goldenrod in the original was so much better- and so was all the music. And that's why people love the GB Player. How many of you went back to the original Gold or Silver after playing HG/SS? I want to know what you think is so unique about each, how they compare. If you want to discuss, post below! Thanks for your cooperation!

Darkfalz

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Not me; I'm not done SoulSilver yet! and it's my last Pokemon game. I refuse to feed my cash to Nintendo anymore :s especially since Pokemon ran out of ideas.

I might play Crystal after, but what's the point? It's the same game, and you get the GB Sounds.

Darkfalz

Years
  • The Pokemon Company hasn't run out of good ideas. Have you seen Zorua and Zoroark? Some of the most simple yet people compare the bigger one to the Pokemon powerhouse Lucario. I can't wait until the 5th Gen comes out. Anyway, the point of playing Crystal, if you will, is to see the innovation that took place back then that is still being recreated today. I just love to bring back old memories.

Last edited:

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Not Nintendo in general; just Pokemon :s Adding new Pokemon = ghey, not innovative. They may be creative with sprites and movesets for the new ones, but it's not being innovative on the game. It's becoming abused how many Pokemon there are now; it started getting awful after Hoenn. A lot of people didn't like Sinnoh; I personally didn't like Sinnoh because the new Pokemon were terrible, there are too many "legendaries" now that they've abused the Pokemon quota, and the entire concept has started to become scrap.

As for Crystal, I might play it randomly, but not hardcore like SoulSilver. I can't trade online WiFi either, and I need my GB Player on my Gamecube to play it anyway, since the DS doesn't take GBC cartridges.

Darkfalz

Years
  • Either way, this thread isn't about Next Gen Pokemon being suckish.

If you're not going to feed Nintendo your money anymore, why not just play G/S/C? If your passion for Pokemon is enough, don't just give up on it completely. They're revolutionary games.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • If you're not going to feed Nintendo your money anymore, why not just play G/S/C? If your passion for Pokemon is enough, don't just give up on it completely. They're revolutionary games.

'Might still play Mystery Dungeon or something. I don't mind those lol

But yeah, I decided HGSS was my last because the next remake, Hoenn, is a remake of a game I didn't like :s so I evade.

On-Topic

After I'm done with HGSS, I might go back to GSC. It didn't really give me an "urge" to play it; I'll probably just play because the graphics are so silly now :P and I have a Kabuto Level 20 from Pokemon Stadium (1) traded onto it. Took me forever to defeat the Gym Leader Battle Tower on PokeStadium1 to get it >> so I can't erase the game now :P

Fun, fun.

Fire-Red

Like no one ever was
    Years
  • I stared a game a few months before it came out but lost intrest in it quickly.

iShena~

Happyface~~ .^ .
    Years
  • homgwshh~~
    I would've if I could find it, Lolol~ xD
    orginallll was gooody~ xD

I love HG/SS~~ <'3
    It's amazing..~ :}

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I played my Gold a couple months ago but stopped before battling Blue. I was too lazy to continue.
    Oh an off topic when I hoped to get Soul Silver (I never had the orignal Silver) I got Heart Gold the remake of my first game.
    Coincidence?

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • I started playing Silver casually last November. I got as far Mahogany Town but my Pokémon were at low levels and I hate level grinding. I used the same Pokémon in my SoulSilver team though. (: It brought back good memories.

LilacArcanine

Aiber Enthusiast
    Years
  • I started playing Silver last November time too. But, I'd been out of Pokemon for a while, occasionally firing up my VBA versions to glitch.

HG brought me straight back into the fandom, but I'll still use my emulated Silver for glitches and game messing. Of course, that's not saying the original GS were bad, in fact I loved them and they're still my favourite of the main series, even if I play the enhanced version more now :)

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
    Years
  • I agree that G/S were way better than HG/SS, easily. VERY easily. But once I finish HG I won't feel the need to go back and replay Gold version ... it might seem too repetitive.

Brittani

Pokefan for life!! (:
    Years
  • Not me; I'm not done SoulSilver yet! and it's my last Pokemon game. I refuse to feed my cash to Nintendo anymore :s especially since Pokemon ran out of ideas.

I might play Crystal after, but what's the point? It's the same game, and you get the GB Sounds.

yusshin, nintendo still has plenty of new ideas for each generation, how could you say they ran out of them for pokemon? I mean look at all the new features we have, we are less limited to the things we can do and we have like a bunch of new pokemon from red,blue, and yellow versions all the way to diamond,pearl,platinum,ss,hg etc. It still amazes me. and what kind of ideas were you expecting for future games? talking trees perhaps? yeah i'm jk but srsly what are you expecting? why do you think nintendo has ran out of ideas for pokemon? i'm just curious as to why someone would say that on a pokemon fan forum.

anyways back to the main topic. yes i did go back and play silver. soul silver brought back so many memories from when i was like 6. i couldnt help but play through silver again a couple of times.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • eh no, Im still appreciating the hard work Game Freak put into these games. Im suprised that I havent completely finished my Heartgold yet.

Back