• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many of you listen to radio drama?

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    Here's what I have to say about radio drama. It's a play performed and broadcast via radio. There is no moving picture and the listening audience imagines the scenes as they are described verbally and musically. It was a common form of home entertainment before television. I first listened to radio drama about 4 years ago, but recently I've been listening to it regularly. Depending to the radio programme, it can be captivating, horrifying, suspenseful, saddening, blissful, boring, make you angry, put you in denial, all sorts of feelings... just like movies you watch on TV or in the cinema. Who here likes to listen to radio drama?

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • A few years back, I got a radio drama of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader out of the library as an audio book (I thought it was a reading of the book itself). It was . . . quite clumsily done, actually. Lots of 'OH LOOK IT'S A MONSTER. OH, THOSE TERRIBLE BIG TEETH IT HAS - IT LOOKS LIKE A GIANT MUTANT SNAKE WITH GLISTENING GREEN SCALES.' It was . . . painful, frankly. Since then I've somewhat avoided radio dramas.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I have friends who listen to this radio soap called The Archers, and they're reeeeeally into it, but I'm just to accustomed to the visual aspect of drama, whether it be film or television, to give radio drama a try. It's close-minded of me, I know, but it'll take a lot to get me to listen; I'll probably end up liking it if I do, but it'll be a long while before it happens.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    I have friends who listen to this radio soap called The Archers, and they're reeeeeally into it, but I'm just to accustomed to the visual aspect of drama, whether it be film or television, to give radio drama a try. It's close-minded of me, I know, but it'll take a lot to get me to listen; I'll probably end up liking it if I do, but it'll be a long while before it happens.
    Probably, since many of us are too used to watching HD quality movies. According to Wikipedia, The Archers is a VERY long radio serial(16,000++ episodes) wow.

The first radio drama I remember listening to was Geroge Orwell's 1984, which was captivating from beginning to end, and I found 'no video' not a problem at all. It took me less than a day to appreciate radio drama.:) It's the content of the radio drama that matters.

If there are radio drama serials that I recommend, they would be:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Jekyll_and_Mr._Hyde_(radio)
    and
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Island_(radio)

Back