• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How many of you speak a second language?

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Lol if you need stuff translated you can always ask me. The hardest part of doing that is the French Pokémon names. I know a few of them but I grew up with the English names. Most of the time I have no idea what the trainer is sending out
    I started out playing Pokémon in German so when I switched to English I had this problem. :D Sometimes I'd like to play Silberne again for the most nostalgic experience.

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I started out playing Pokémon in German so when I switched to English I had this problem. :D Sometimes I'd like to play Silberne again for the most nostalgic experience.

Do you prefer the German names or English names? (Without nostalgia)
    I think most of the French names sound silly, but in Gen 7 some French names really impressed me! Also, the dialogue in French were more clever than the English dialogues. Did you ever have a similar experience with the German games?

Years
  • Lol if you need stuff translated you can always ask me. The hardest part of doing that is the French Pokémon names. I know a few of them but I grew up with the English names. Most of the time I have no idea what the trainer is sending out

My problem is often more putting words into a sentence that makes sense, rather than understanding the words. If you were to talk to me in basic French, I'd probably understand most of it, but I'd struggle to respond.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Grew up in a Mexican family, my first language was English...but Spanish kinda came to me naturally because I was surrounded by so much Spanish and my own Mexican culture.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Do you prefer the German names or English names? (Without nostalgia)
    I think most of the French names sound silly, but in Gen 7 some French names really impressed me! Also, the dialogue in French were more clever than the English dialogues. Did you ever have a similar experience with the German games?
    Pfft I can't remember many of them, but some were kind of lame (Molord for Quagsire) and some were really nice (Glutexo for Charmeleon or Ibitak for Fearow). I don't remember any dialogue, only practical things like the menu and in-battle text. I remember that I really liked the German name for Aeroblast (Luftstoß) and that it became my favourite Gen II move partly because of that. I was only 6 when I played the German Silver and I knew little German and even less English, but now that I look at it I can't believe I had difficulty getting used to the English names.

Does American Sign Language count? Because if so, I would consider that my second language. English is my first.
    I think it does! I really want to learn Dutch Sign Language someday because I find it important to know.

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    Pfft I can't remember many of them, but some were kind of lame (Molord for Quagsire) and some were really nice (Glutexo for Charmeleon or Ibitak for Fearow). I don't remember any dialogue, only practical things like the menu and in-battle text. I remember that I really liked the German name for Aeroblast (Luftstoß) and that it became my favourite Gen II move partly because of that. I was only 6 when I played the German Silver and I knew little German and even less English, but now that I look at it I can't believe I had difficulty getting used to the English names.

All attacks and items in French sound lame :P But my favourite in French is Wimpod, Sovkipou. It's a great pun that mixesSauve qui peut! (Let's run/flee) and Pou (lice)
    Did you watch the anime as well when you were playing Silver?

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    All attacks and items in French sound lame :P But my favourite in French is Wimpod, Sovkipou. It's a great pun that mixesSauve qui peut! (Let's run/flee) and Pou (lice)
    Hehe, even without knowing the pun it sounds very cool!

I did not. I think. I can't remember watching the anime before getting into the English games but that didn't matter much because the Dutch dub didn't change any of the Pokémon's names. They did, however, translate the attack names to Dutch (and still do that to some extent), and at that young age I wasn't yet able to connect the Dutch names and English in-game names of the moves. Only just a year ago I learned why the Dutch name for Razor Leaf is Mesblad...

Years
  • All attacks and items in French sound lame :P But my favourite in French is Wimpod, Sovkipou. It's a great pun that mixesSauve qui peut! (Let's run/flee) and Pou (lice)

What do you mean by 'lame'? Are most French names just cheesy puns of 2 words or something?

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    What do you mean by 'lame'? Are most French names just cheesy puns of 2 words or something?

No, they're most of the time word-for-word translation that sound like the words were simply put into Google Traduction. It's not wrong but it sounds off

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020

No, they're most of the time word-for-word translation that sound like the words were simply put into Google Traduction. It's not wrong but it sounds off

I had a French co-worker and somehow this topic came up and googled French Pokémon names, and I found a lot of them very funny. My favourites are Roucool (Pidgey) and Akwakwak (Golduck).

Spyro

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I had a French co-worker and somehow this topic came up and googled French Pokémon names, and I found a lot of them very funny. My favourites are Roucool (Pidgey) and Akwakwak (Golduck).
    Haha yeah, those sound pretty silly :P
    Did you tell them about Sovkipou (Wimpod)? :P
    I also like Rondoudou (Jigglypuff) a lot

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Haha yeah, those sound pretty silly :P
    Did you tell them about Sovkipou (Wimpod)? :P
    I also like Rondoudou (Jigglypuff) a lot

Don't think Wimpod was out then, but yeah a lot of them sound silly. Akwakwak is still the best

Bobbylicious

Banned
    Years
  • i only speak english but part of my family is mexican so they mostly speak spanish but i dont want to learn it

my abuela really wants me to learn tho but i just tell her no but she doesn't give up so everytime i see her i just drop an ay dios mio every so often so she thinks im learning but rly i am just waiting until the day she dies so she will leave me ALONE

Last edited by a moderator:

PokéboxHub

A Pokébox for every Pokémon! ;)
    Years
  • Legit question:

Should one, that does not pursue a career as a translator or anything, fully master a language or move on to another after there's a reasonable amount of knowledge gained? The purpose being just... being resourceful, I guess?

It should depend on your definition of "reasonable amount". You'll never fully master a language, so when you feel like you've achieved your goal with one language you can move on I guess.. set goals, that makes it easier :)

Back