• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old do you think ash is?

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2008
    He is probably still 10 years old after all the seasons, considering he doesn't grow any taller. But lets take a look here, I don't watch the show anymore (and haven't been for a while) but I remember in the first season, he said it took them 1 year to get to viridian city. Now that was about 70-80% of the season done. Now assuming we go at that pace, I estimate that around 2 years go by everyone 3 seasons. Give or take.........a year....or two XD. So by now he must be in his 20's. Of course this is not true, but how old do you think ash really is?

PB.

'PB
    Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2011
    This is very much like the simpsons, They have had countless Haloween and Christmas episodes but no-one has aged at all, Its probably because it would ruin the TV show if the main characters were pushing there 20s or even 30s.

Basically he is 10 still because if he was getting older his vocie would have probably started to break (but with the new VAs it sounds higher). I always think this is stranger because wasnt it Dawn and Mays 10th birthdays when they started out their journeys?

Another idea is that the Grand festival only happens once and year and May has been in 2, So two years. Thats similar to Ash and the league.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2011
    I don't think that he didn't get older at all. If you watch one of the first episodes and then one of the newest, there is a difference - in how old he looks, how tall he is and in his character. The new VA helps, too.

The show doesn't give too many hints on time. My guess would be:
    Ash was 10 when he left Pallet and 11 when he fought in the Indigo League. That's what we know from the TV show. Then he traveled through the Orange Islands and Johto. Somewhen in Johto there was an anniversary of the day Ash and Pikachu became friends (=Ash's birthday). However, It's not said, if it is the second or third or whatever (Pikachu short of movie 3). I assume it could be the third as traveling the Orange Islands for sure took some time. So Ash could have been 13 years old when he fought in the Johto League. 14 would be possible, too. Then traveling through Hoen could have taken another year and the trip to the battle zone another 6 months. So Ash could be about 16 when he makes a new start in Sinnoh.

What I really do not believe is that the timeline in the anime is the same as our real time. The anime may be 10 years old but I don't think that in the anime 10 years have passed. In Japan they have 1 episode each week (if I'm not mistaken) and normally one episode takes place at one day. Sometimes even 2 or 3 episodes take place on the same day. Although there is much traveling between the episodes, I don't think it takes that long - not enough for 10 years to pass.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2012
    I think ash stayed the same age as he was when the series began. Even if you exclude all the filer episodes (I consider not having any relation to the game) his age just doesn't add up. By now he should at least be as old as red in the recent manga (16 years old).

Lash

Years
    Kanto- 11yrs old (By the time Kanto ended)
    Orange League- 11yrs old (That probably took a good six months or so in Pokemon time)
    Johto- 12yrs old (By Johto end)
    Hoenn- 13yrs
    Battle Frontier- 13/14 (Another good amount of months of battle, most likely 14 by this time)
    Sinnoh- He will probably be 15 halfway through Sinnoh

That is the best way to look at it, since it takes about a year for the actual Region adventures to pass by, and 6 months for the mini sagas to pass by.

Years
    • Seen Sep 12, 2009
    Ash is a teenager in Sinnoh. You can judge by the deepness of his voice. He could be maybe 14.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    Pokemon is probably in a floating timeline, although I like to think Ash and Co. are atleast 14. :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2012
    I think they changed the voices of ash and company because a new production team has taken over the show and they had to have new voice actors. While their new voices can be a sign that they are getting older but maybe the writers are holding back their ages on purpose in order for the show to appeal to children.

Ryo1234

Ace Trainer
    Years
    10 is *******.
    I say he, Dawn & May should all be around 14~15, making Misty 16ish and Brock somewhere around 18, IMO.

There's no way a person can trek 3 continents as much as Ash has, all in the time span of less than two years, let alone a single one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aegis

The Savage Nymph
    Years
    Probably around 15 or so, considering the amount of time that's passed since the first season. But, I'm not sure, he's awfully young looking.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
    i think ash is 15~~~ ohh and may and dawn and maybe misty is 16~~17 or something and the oldest is brock maybe 17~~~19
    Sorry...but it would be impossible for May and Dawn to be the same age as Ash. They started their Pokemon journey when they were 10, same as Ash. Each of them met Ash when they were 10. So...yea, it's not possible. Misty is older than Ash though (or so I assume).

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    This is very much like the simpsons, They have had countless Haloween and Christmas episodes but no-one has aged at all, Its probably because it would ruin the TV show if the main characters were pushing there 20s or even 30s.

Not to mention Bart and Lisa have had about 3 birthdays each XD

I think he's about 14/15. His Sinnoh outfit definatly makes him look older

doritos

Tortilla Chip
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2008
    Judging by the things he's gone through and his appearance and voice I would also have to say he's about 14 or 15.

One thing we've gotta keep in mind is that in a lot of anime the people look a lot younger than what they really are.

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2008
    Team Rocket has said more then once that they have been fallowing Ash around for YEARS.

Maybe Ash is just a naturally short person but he does look older and more mature then he did when he first started out so it stands to reason he has aged some.

By now he's got to be at least 14 if not older.

Back