• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to edit hold items' effects

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2020
    Hi,

I'm making my first rom hack and looking to change the effects of hold items (for example, the light ball) in Pokemon Emerald. Every tool I've found has a hex slot for hold item effects (0x2D), but nothing lets me edit what the actual effects do (like affect both ATT and SP ATT instead of just SP ATT). How do I change them?

Thanks!

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    What Petuuuhhh said, but you might also be interested in the pokéemerald decompilation, which allows you to edit Emerald's source code. Changing held item effects to have changes like you described wouldn't be too difficult to do.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2020
    Thank you @Petuuuhhh & @Avara. So I found some code on Google (from a Spanish forum) that I think would help me change the effects:

if (attackerHoldEffect == HOLD_EFFECT_LIGHT_BALL && attacker->species == SPECIES_PIKACHU)
    spAttack *= 2;

to

if (attackerHoldEffect == HOLD_EFFECT_LIGHT_BALL && attacker->species == SPECIES_PIKACHU)
    spAttack *= 2, attack *= 2;

but I just can't seem to find a way to tap in and actually edit those pre-existing effects. The only things I've been able to do so far is to swap different pre-existing hold item battle effects. I've been trying to just hack off a version of Trashman's Emerald rom for this one since it's my first time and I figure just messing around is the best way to learn.. One other option I found online is to try to access the PokeBattle_Move section in the script, which is where I think I can try to make the above edit, but I haven't been able to figure out how to access that part of the script on XSE.

Years
    • Seen May 27, 2020
    Thanks! If I want to find out how to access those tables they are referencing in that thread, would I post to ASM and/or Research & Development? Just want to direct my next post to the correct spot

Back