• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] How to edit Pokémon names in the DS games?

Years
    • He / Him
    • Seen May 19, 2022
    How to edit Pok?mon names in the DS games?

I used the Universal Pok?mon Randomizer's tool to decapitalise all Pok?mon names in the DS games (Platinum & SoulSilver, specifically), but it renames "FARFETCH'D" to "Farfetch'D" when it should be "Farfetch'd". All I'm looking for is something that'll let me change its name to "Farfetch'd", but so far I've had no luck when looking.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    The DS games keep all of their text in one narc file, so you'd just need to use a text editor. SDSME's should work just fine, but it might take a while to find which file within the narc stores the Pokemon names. There may be multiple copies of it in each game; there are at least two in Platinum (the one you want is file 412 in Plat).

Years
    • He / Him
    • Seen May 19, 2022
    The DS games keep all of their text in one narc file, so you'd just need to use a text editor. SDSME's should work just fine, but it might take a while to find which file within the narc stores the Pokemon names. There may be multiple copies of it in each game; there are at least two in Platinum (the one you want is file 412 in Plat).

Thanks, that's really helpful! Farfetch'd is now named correctly in Platinum; do you know which file it is for the other Gen 4 games as well? I looked in and around File 412 in Diamond / Pearl but the names are nowhere to be found, and I've got no idea where they might be in HeartGold / SoulSilver.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Thanks, that's really helpful! Farfetch'd is now named correctly in Platinum; do you know which file it is for the other Gen 4 games as well? I looked in and around File 412 in Diamond / Pearl but the names are nowhere to be found, and I've got no idea where they might be in HeartGold / SoulSilver.

I've never edited the Pokemon names in the other gen IV games, but I can guess from SDSME's source code:
    • DP are somewhere around 356 to 362
    • HGSS are somewhere around 232 to 237
    The source is almost unreadable so those may not be right at all, but hopefully they'll be good starting points.

Years
    • He / Him
    • Seen May 19, 2022
    I've never edited the Pokemon names in the other gen IV games, but I can guess from SDSME's source code:
    • DP are somewhere around 356 to 362
    • HGSS are somewhere around 232 to 237
    The source is almost unreadable so those may not be right at all, but hopefully they'll be good starting points.

Thanks, you were spot on both times - DP is at 362 and HGSS is at 237.

So for anyone looking at this in the future - using the text editor in SDSME the Pok?mon names can be edited by going to file 412 for Platinum, 362 for Diamond / Pearl and 237 for HeartGold / SoulSilver.

Back