• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how to make a 1d game(like the mario gameboy games or zelda2)

proto-man

netoperater
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 22, 2006
    okay im going to use mario as an example first you need a chipset that could make a 1d game okay make the ground and a little up add a sky(make sure that the sky has movement permissoin but not the ground)
    next make a auto start event that turns on a switch then go to your events tab and make 3 parralel processes that each start on the switch.
    on event one make a fork thats conditoin is if hero faces up (this will be our jump event dont add an elsecase) okay in the commands put in move event hero:change switch(turn the switch you made off)then put step up times the # you want(this will determine how high you want to jump)
    step right(times how far you want to jump)
    step down(the same amount as your step up)
    face right
    turn switch on(your switch)
    okay on your second parrelel process make another elsecaseless fork make the condition if hero faces down(this will be our ducking event)
    simply put
    move event face right that way to keep ducking you have to hold down
    on your third process make the fork if actoin key is pressed(this will be the running event note will only do a burst of speed)
    okey for commands put move event hero:
    movespeed up(times how fast you want to run)
    wait(times how long you want to run)
    slow speed down(3/4 as much as your move speed up)

okay you just have made your movments now heres the only battle system possible I call it 1djbs (or 1d jump battle system)

I have not yet figured out how to make ground enimies but heres how you make a flying make a 2 paged event with a flying enemy graphic on both pages page 1 should look like this: normal speed with steeping follow hero
    apper if variable is above 0 on touch event,hero, under commands make it a hp decreace.
    page 2:
    make everything but the event commands the same except make it on hero touch
    under commands put fork if hero faces down to subtract from the variable
    and voula a 1d game proff in attachment

Blizzy

me = Scripter.new("Noob")
    Years
    proto-man said:
    okay im going to use mario as an example first you need a chipset that could make a 1d game okay make the ground and a little up add a sky(make sure that the sky has movement permissoin but not the ground)
    next make a auto start event that turns on a switch then go to your events tab and make 3 parralel processes that each start on the switch.
    on event one make a fork thats conditoin is if hero faces up (this will be our jump event dont add an elsecase) okay in the commands put in move event hero:change switch(turn the switch you made off)then put step up times the # you want(this will determine how high you want to jump)
    step right(times how far you want to jump)
    step down(the same amount as your step up)
    face right
    turn switch on(your switch)
    okay on your second parrelel process make another elsecaseless fork make the condition if hero faces down(this will be our ducking event)
    simply put
    move event face right that way to keep ducking you have to hold down
    on your third process make the fork if actoin key is pressed(this will be the running event note will only do a burst of speed)
    okey for commands put move event hero:
    movespeed up(times how fast you want to run)
    wait(times how long you want to run)
    slow speed down(3/4 as much as your move speed up)

okay you just have made your movments now heres the only battle system possible I call it 1djbs (or 1d jump battle system)

I have not yet figured out how to make ground enimies but heres how you make a flying make a 2 paged event with a flying enemy graphic on both pages page 1 should look like this: normal speed with steeping follow hero
    apper if variable is above 0 on touch event,hero, under commands make it a hp decreace.
    page 2:
    make everything but the event commands the same except make it on hero touch
    under commands put fork if hero faces down to subtract from the variable
    and voula a 1d game proff in attachment
    good toturial.
    but isn't this called a 2d game ???

proto-man

netoperater
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 22, 2006
    no if it was 2d you would have 4 directional movement 1d only has right and left with the exception of jumping

Robbie

Kitty'll eat you :o
    Years
    proto-man said:
    no if it was 2d you would have 4 directional movement 1d only has right and left with the exception of jumping

It's most definately 2D :P If it was 1D, you wouldn't be able to do much.

Good tutorial, though.

Jeff_PKLight

RMXP User
    Years
    Tutorial is good, but I suggest the grammer to improve. ;) Oh, and there is no 1d game... it's 2d.

proto-man

netoperater
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 22, 2006
    okay if its not 1d I guess you would call it side scrolling right?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    0 Dimension - Single Point
    1st Dimension - A single line
    2nd Dimension - Height and Width
    3rd Dimension - Height, Width, Depth
    4th Dimension - Conceivable, but it makes my brain hurt.

BlackCharizard

Black Charizard
    Years
    Well if you wanted to make a 1D game, each item could only have a single solid color. and 4th dimension is past 3D in a way that things go behind you from the from. A 4D game could only be made possible with a viretual reality game like with a helmet or something.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    That would be horrible if people started making Mario fan games in RM2k/3
    The long time it would take to make it...Gamemaker is way easier and better for platform games(not 1d, its 2d anyway).

proto-man

netoperater
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 22, 2006
    umbreon135 said:
    That would be horrible if people started making Mario fan games in RM2k/3
    The long time it would take to make it...Gamemaker is way easier and better for platform games(not 1d, its 2d anyway).
    I hate to upset you but someone whose name starts with a p and ends with a n already has started one.

proto-man

netoperater
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 22, 2006
    datriot said:
    Yeah, it looks cool! Thanks! I can use this for my Sonic game!:)
    I recamend you use my second tutorial its way better(its the one I used in both my games)

proto-man

netoperater
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 22, 2006
    Firemaker said:
    Can you give me the Mario character set? (I cannot find one)
    mama mia! here we go!
    (this is the charset from the screenshot if you want the chipset just tell me)

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    proto-man said:
    I hate to upset you but someone whose name starts with a p and ends with a n already has started one.
    Dude its easier, faster, and better if you use GM.

proto-man

netoperater
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 22, 2006
    umbreon135 said:
    Dude its easier, faster, and better if you use GM.
    Id rather stick with rm2k id switch to rm2k3 if I could find it though.

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Horrible choice. Can't wait for you to see it could turn out horrible.

Evilhis

i beat the elite 4 100 times
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2008
    this is really helping me out. too bad i only have a japanese trial version :nervous:

Back