• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Map] how to make a new map?

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    is it possible to add a map instead of overwriting existing ones? if so is there a link to how to do it somewhere? (emerald)

edit: second question, is there a tutorial on adding berry trees to a map?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Advance Map has a function for adding new maps.
    For the berry system it's just a script

MM980

"You said you have a dream...That dream...Make it
    Years
  • In Advance Map, there is an option on the top pane called add new map. Click it, then design your map, then click add map again, done, but there is a problem, new map may have the name of some other map.

Youtube tutorial : https://youtu.be/8aDZalmz9T0

Hope this helps...😊

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    thanks

and on berry trees, it seems simple? just copy the script from an existing berry tree and change like 1 or 2 things? ive never tried anything with scripts before though. copy and pasting has you pickin 1 berry and then all of them are picked, so do i just have to change a flag or something?

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    thanks

and on berry trees, it seems simple? just copy the script from an existing berry tree and change like 1 or 2 things? ive never tried anything with scripts before though. copy and pasting has you pickin 1 berry and then all of them are picked, so do i just have to change a flag or something?

I recommend checking this out too, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4-s8dP-v50 this guy has an entire series on map making and scripting, it taught me a lot.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    In Advance Map, there is an option on the top pane called add new map. Click it, then design your map, then click add map again, done, but there is a problem, new map may have the name of some other map.

Youtube tutorial : https://youtu.be/8aDZalmz9T0

Hope this helps...😊

so, when i went to insert my map it just added it to the first city's folder (in this case new bark town cause im trying to flesh out johto using sierra's crystal dust)

how do i delete a map from a map folder, and how do i make it insert into the correct folder?

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2023
    so, when i went to insert my map it just added it to the first city's folder (in this case new bark town cause im trying to flesh out johto using sierra's crystal dust)

how do i delete a map from a map folder, and how do i make it insert into the correct folder?

Pretty sure that maps cannot be deleted from Advance Map, but you could always change the dimension of that map to 1x1 and remove any map connections.

When inserting a map, you can specify in which bank it will go, and since the first map probably is map (3.0), it has a bank of 3 and the map went there. The bank number is the place where your map will go to when inserted.

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    i figured out how to move it and rename it to the correct place after i posted that. i did try to specify that to go to a new bank altogether, but it for some reason went into the first folder anyway. thanks though.

i still cant find anything about adding berry trees... probably because its super basic. seems like all i have to do is change the #org and the flag but idk what is safe to use for that

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    i still cant find anything about adding berry trees... probably because its super basic. seems like all i have to do is change the #org and the flag but idk what is safe to use for that

I don't know about berry tree scripts specifically, but if you're using XSE you can define dynamic offsets at the start with #dynamic 0x[offset], which will search for enough free space to compile the script, which means your #org sections just need an @[name] to reference each other, rather than specific offsets. XSE will assign appropriate offsets to each part of your script when you compile it.

As for flags, have you checked if all the berry patch scripts use different flags? If they do, then I'm not sure how to help, because as far as I know there's very few "safe" flags you can use

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    all the ones i have looked at where different. heres what an existing berry tree script looks like.

'---------------
    #org 0xE3D394
    lock
    faceplayer
    checkdailyflags
    checkflag 0x920
    if 0x1 call 0x8E3D3C5
    msgbox 0x89C8A8D MSG_KEEPOPEN '"It's a fruit-bearing tree.\nHey! I..."
    giveitem 0x8B 0x1 MSG_OBTAIN
    compare LASTRESULT 0x0
    if 0x1 call 0x89E8B88
    setflag 0x920
    release
    end

'---------------
    #org 0xE3D3C5
    msgbox 0x8E3D40E MSG_KEEPOPEN '"It's a fruit-bearing tree.\nThere'..."
    release
    end

'---------------
    #org 0x9E8B88
    textcolor 0x3
    msgbox 0x8272AD0 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"Too bad!\nThe BAG is full[.]"
    release
    end

'---------
    ' Strings
    '---------
    #org 0x9C8A8D
    = It's a fruit-bearing tree.\nHey! It's an ORAN BERRY!

#org 0xE3D40E
    = It's a fruit-bearing tree.\nThere's nothing here[.]

#org 0x272AD0
    = Too bad!\nThe BAG is full[.]

so what youre saying is id just do

#dynamic 0xE3D000

and #org @oranberry
    or something?

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2023
    so what youre saying is id just do

#dynamic 0xE3D000

and #org @oranberry
    or something?

The #dynamic in XSE scripts should be pointed to free space, which you can find blocks of by opening the ROM in a hex editor. You don't necessarily want to point it to the offset in the script you listed, because who knows where the free space would be from there?

Provided you set #dynamic up correctly though, #org @oranberry would indeed work fine

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2023
    ok, i got the berry tree to work properly. thanks for the help.
    now i just have to find offsets for the messages for each type of berry >.>

Back