• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] How to make each new OW Sprite I add to a ROM, have its own Palette saved separately?

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
    Okay, according to my knowledge, there are 35 Palettes used by Overworld Sprites in Emerald, 27 Palettes in Ruby & 18 Palettes in FireRed (correct me if I'm wrong).

Suppose I want to add more Overworld Sprites, obviously the Palette of almost every Sprite I add, will be different from any of the existing Palettes in the ROM.

My question is, how do I make each OW Sprite I add to a ROM, have its Palette saved separately as well, without messing up the colours of the other Sprites, coz when I use NSE to Load a Sprite & select any of the three options - (Image, Palette, All), the Sprite either doesn't show up at all or has messy colours.

Pika Pika :chu:

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    Would like to know the answer to this too. Only way I see doing it is using unused palletes, palletes only used by < 3 sprites and just not using those sprites. Or, making new sprites have the same colours as the old palletes (not ideal).

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
    Would like to know the answer to this too. Only way I see doing it is using unused palletes, palletes only used by < 3 sprites and just not using those sprites. Or, making new sprites have the same colours as the old palletes (not ideal).

Exactly why I asked the question C me, coz if you're working on a major revamp, I mean changing OWs of all Gym Leaders, Elite Four, Hero/Heroine, Pokemon, there are just not enough Palettes to work with & making new sprites have existing Palettes, will always give you messy sprites.

https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=297647
    The most complete OW hacking guide I know of. Good luck finding the offsets if you're not using those games though.

Ya NewDenverCity, I'm aware of that Tutorial & I've tried following it, but just can't seem to get it working.

I've seen hacks where a lot of OWs are used (for e.g. Pokemon Glazed) & it seems that they use a lot of different Palettes, much more than what's available.

As for me though, I just can't figure out how to match Palettes. Can anyone suggest some easy way that every Sprite I add to a ROM has its correct Palette saved? I know its not easy, but still, does anyone have something that can make it possible?

C me

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    You could probably expand the palette table but I don't know if there are any limiters. Also only certain palettes can be used e.g. 0,3 but 1 and 2 can't. I don't know why but if there is a way to use those gap ones that would be nice too.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
    I think that you an use Palettes which are not used in the game, to save a new Palette for your Sprite, but I don't think there are too many unused Palettes in the game, so the problem still remains.

C me

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    I think that you an use Palettes which are not used in the game, to save a new Palette for your Sprite, but I don't think there are too many unused Palettes in the game, so the problem still remains.

Overworld editors won't let you.

GalladedOlive

Former Pokémon ROM Hacker/Video Editor
    Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2015
    I just want my 16-Color Bitmap Image to replace the Palette of the Default Trainer Sprite. I'm using NSE Classic, but when I import the Image, & make sure it's on Image, it just saves the Normal Palette instead. I've tried Palette & All, but they don't seem to help out that much. What am I doing wrong that's not letting me get my Custom Palette in to the NSE Classic Program?

Back