• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to make the sound on Sappy work correctly? [FR]

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2024
    Hey guys, sorry if there's already an answer, but I've searched a lot and I couldn't find one.

Basically, I'm able to convert the MIDI file into a .S file without difficult, as well as assembling it into my hack.

The problem is that IN-GAME, the sound is high-pitched or kind of distorted. It's the same theme that I saved as .S but distorted, with different sounds.

Can anyone help me, please? I'd appreciate it!

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2023
    Hey guys, sorry if there's already an answer, but I've searched a lot and I couldn't find one.

Basically, I'm able to convert the MIDI file into a .S file without difficult, as well as assembling it into my hack.

The problem is that IN-GAME, the sound is high-pitched or kind of distorted. It's the same theme that I saved as .S but distorted, with different sounds.

Can anyone help me, please? I'd appreciate it!

Make sure to use a new offset while compiling the song in sappy (dont overwrite the same one), and check if the voicegroup offset is correct (your .s file may use some instruments which are not compatible with selected voicegroup).

Another thing that could be causing this is the drum sound, there could be some notes that cannot be registered by the game, you can always test out a different track to see if it works.

You could find a midi file from lets say a gba game other than pokemon and try using that, as not all midis are compatible (like midis from playstation games and other consoles).

Also, if you edit the .s file with a program like notepad++, there id a parameter "120" i think, and try lowering it to something like 80 to 90 if the sound in game is crackling.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2024
    Thank you!

How do I check if the voicegroup is the same?
    I ripped a song from a Pokémon rom, so i'm pretty sure it's compatible with my hack.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    @JayPescuma95

Pokemon Fire Red, Emerald and any ROM hack can have completely different voice groups depending on what has been added.

You need to check which instruments your song uses and check whether there is an existing voice group in the ROM which contains all of those instruments. If not, you probably need to create a new voicegroup or edit the song. Check this tutorial by Anthroyd to get an idea of how music hacking works.

Back