• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How well do you speak Japanese?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    My classes ended a year ago so I've forgotten a lot of the grammar and the vocabulary that isn't used in fandom. I was top of my Japanese class in the first year and it kind of went downhill from there as my anime obsession subsided into a gaming one but...oh well.

I can still understand the basics of whatever manga or anime I pick up or watch, assuming the former has furigana. :| I kind of suck with kanji but...this isn't about reading, I realize. XD;

I can understand some spoken Japanese, but I suck at speaking it. x_x; I'm really slow with speaking other languages, even if I can understand them well.

Jack O'Neill

Banned
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 15, 2015
    My command of the Japanese language is extremely weak overall. I only had one year of formal schooling in it (wasted the other two on Spanish); I can't read most kanji, and my lexicon is quite limited.

Crystal Clair

Shinji lover
    Years
    I'm ok
    I'm pretty good at saying simple sentences like "Kirei desu, ne" (pretty, isn't it) or "Kouen ni ikimashou" (let's go to the park)
    I can say "ikanakereba narimasen" (I have to go) and "Nihongo o hanasu koto ga dekiru" (I can speak Japanese) but I've mastered the easier version "Nihongo ga dekiru" (I can do Japanese)

However, when it comes to translating stories and paragraphs, I kinda suck. I'm not the best at kanji (I know 400-500 and forget them sometimes) but I can learn them really easily

I'm good at translating spoken Japanese (when watching Pokemon raws) ironically. Maybe because there's no kanji involved and being able to use romaji.

I also listen to Japanese music and go to Pokesho every single day (unless in a place with no internet) so I can read kana well.

I'm ok

Craig²

H a p p y☆
    Years
    So-So.

I know the basics and I know the whole -kun -san -chan, etc. thing. I can say simple sentences easily and greeting is a peice of cake. Reading kanji is fairly easy as well, but I'm not exactly fluent.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I have been learning Japanese for three years now at school. I wouldn't say it's good enough to carry and hold a conversation with someone, but I think I can manage in Japan for a little while. I've been to Japan twice too, so that really tested me when I found out I had some difficulties in understanding. O.o

donpatchi-risu

おおきりす
    Years
    totemo warui !!

ive been taking lessons for 4 years now, because i love anime and want to work in japan as an engineer/industrialist. im good at hiragana and memorizing basic words, but i suck at katakana. yesterday, 2 minutes after i woke up, boku no sensei called and said that i shoud GIVE UP AND NEVER COME AGAIN!! I never got to explain that i couldent make the lesson that week because my grandpa was in the hospital from a HEART ATTACK!! this is 4 years in the making, i can't just give up :(, its not like i took spanish!!! i have a learning disability,whatever happened to patience!!

to anyone that just read that, sugestions would be greatley appreciated!!
    sencerily
    Donpatchi-risu
    (Donpachi= machine gun sound) (Risu = Squirrel) (pachirisu)

.Aero

Tell Me I'm A Screwed Up Mess
    Years
    I don't.

Well I'd like to a lot. I had a chance to buy a little english-to-japanese booklet thing, but my mom said, "You won't actually read it, it'll sit on your shelf just like that French book I got you." French is also cool. Parle vou Fransay? (I can't type the little ` above the letters. XD)

Delano

Wanderer
    Years
    ive taken it for three years and ive taken a trip to japan. im going to continue this year, i want to move to japan and teach english while doing concept art for videogames. がんばります!

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2007
    i only know how to say the first 10 numbers :(

does anyone know any free ways to learn the language?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    There are a lot of sites that will teach basic Japanese. Just google it and I'm sure you'll find something. You're better off getting a book of some sort on it, though.

donpatchi-risu - Just keep at it. I don't think they should be able to keep you out of the class if you're willing to learn. Make sure you review all the time and try your best. :x

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    I can hold up a pretty decent conversation from what I've picked up while watching anime. I love saying Hello like this: Ko~ni~chiwa! My friends say I sound like a ditzy Japanese girl when I say it XD

I can fake the accent pretty well too.

Gunn

horror resident
    Years
    None at all. Except the ones those OMG KAWAII NEKO-CHAN DESU~~~~! Japanophiles throw out. Out of all the many languages that this world upholds, Japanese comes to my least favors. I prefer some European ones, exampling German and Greek.

Last edited:

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    I am currently reading about it. I am beginning to learn this stuff ^.^

Years
    After watching anime and looking through a Japanese dictionary I got for Christmas..Ugh..Yeah, I probably couldn't understand if someone were talking to me. I just know the basic only-said-in-anime-and-not-real-life things~

Nekonron

Aspiring Pokémon Master
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2011
    I know enough to more or less grasp whats going on in a raw anime episode, although sometimes I can be wayyy off. Probably enough to survive if I was somehow stuck in Japan... I hope... lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back