• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How you used to pronounce pokemon names

Status
Not open for further replies.

joehat

Yay
    Years
    I will always pronounce Arceus with a soft C. Ar - Key - Us sounds stoopit!

This is true! Ar-cee-us. Yes.

I also prefer Gir-aht-in-ah instead of Geer-ah-ti-na.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I still say Arceus as "are-see-us" because I haven't seen the latest movie and thus won't bother changing my pronunciation yet. (I find the English pronunciation to be far too cacophonous for my liking.)

I always pronounced Chimecho as chime-cho but learnt recently it's actually chime-echo. Whoops. I'm sure there are a lot of others that I can't really think of right now that I pronounced the wrong way and have since corrected myself in.

But two I'll never pronounce the "proper" English way? Cherubi and Cherrim. :( Its supposed to be Chuh-rooby and Chuh-rim but... uggh. They're based on the word "cherry" so I pronounce the "cher" in both of them the same way as in cherry. It sounds better and I refuse to say it any other way because it sounds stupid. DD:

Years
    Wow, I honestly didn't know that it wasn't pronounced "Ray-quah-zah," but I've always pronounced it as "Ar-kee-us." Another one that always gets me is Pidgeot. I always pronounce it "Pid-gee-ot," not "Pid-git."

Last edited:

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    I used to pronounce Rayquaza as "ray-quah-zah" until I finally heard it through the anime as "ray-quay-zah". Like the majority, the only other Pokémon I still pronounce incorrectly but on purpose is Arceus. I find it awkward how it's English name is pronounced and I probably wouldn't follow it regardless.

I first heard Arceus' name on a Pokémon TCG commercial as "are-key-us" and I first thought, "Is he saying it wrong?", but until I realized it was right, it just didn't seem to roll off my tongue well. :\

With other Pokémon I can't think of right now, I'm sure there were a few left that I used to pronounce wrong until I probably heard their name through the anime or through someone else. One in particular was Sceptile, I used to say it as "skep-tile" but later I learned it was said as "sep-tile" without the 'c' being pronounced like a 'k.'

Years
    Uh...
    Instead of Ho-oh I would say Ho-Ho
    Instead of Ray-qway-za I would say Ray-qwa-za
    I still dont know how to say Arceus.

Ar-kay-us? Ar-eu-sus? Ar-see-us? I dont know x3

Years
    I tend to pronounce many Pokemon in a german way, I would give some examples, but I'm horrible at phonetic spelling.
    An exception is Chatot, I always pronounce it like the french Château

Years
    I did the Pid-gee-ot thing, as well--sometimes I still call it that. I don't think such a small change really matters.

And I had no idea Arceus was supposed to be pronounced Ar-kay-us! I agree that that's kinda stupid, given the spelling of the word, and I'll continue to call it Ar-see-us. :P I guess since I haven't actually heard most of G4 or even G3 spoken aloud, I probably pronounce a number of them wrong.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    xD I cracked up at hariy mama

GILLAGAR xDD I still call it that

ARMARILLDO

I used to say ho-ho instead of ho-oh xDD

Banette- Bandit
    Roselia- ROSE-LIA
    Whismur- whisper xDD
    Delcatty- DEL-A-CATTY
    Anorith- Anathorn

xDD hoenn was new to me back then

BenEary

Little Rabbit
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2010
    Long time ago, when I first started with this here pokemon thing, I pronounced Magikarp's and Gyarados's g's oppositely. Like, Magikarp had a hard G and Gyarados had a soft one.
    Also, when third gen came out, I never pronounced the W in Mawile. It was just Ma-ile.

Left4Dead

Are you mental in the face?
    Years
    I pronounced Groudon - Groundon
    Victreebell - Victorybell
    Exeggutor - Ex-eh-cuter
    Kangaskhan - Kang-gish-kan
    Omastar - Om-Star
    Croconaw - Croc-naw
    Ariados - Ara-dos
    Bellossom - Blossom
    Quagsire - Kwag-ah-sire
    Sceptile - Skeptile
    Raikou - Rya-koo
    Ho-oh - HoHo
    Combusken - Com biss ken

Can't think of any more but I know there were LOADS! haha

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 10, 2015
    Suicune.

I used to pronounce it "Sio-cuun" .. .. Uhh, yeah. xD;

My brother used to mock me about how I said it. .. ;'

Emotion.

Mentally Burning Rainbow.
    Years
    Makuhita will always be known as "Sack of potatos" to me, ever since i saw one in Ruby and went wtf.
    Rayquaza, I'm still saying that wrong today xD.
    Arceus, how it is supposed to be said just sounds bloody stupid.

Not a pokemon, but a move (and an evil gang), although I'm saying it right, they're wrong.
    Aqua Jet, on the anime they all say Are-qwa jet, I'm guessing that's how you Americans say it, I say ah-kwa.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    I used to pronounce Rayquaza as "ray-quah-zah" until I finally heard it through the anime as "ray-quay-zah". Like the majority, the only other Pokémon I still pronounce incorrectly but on purpose is Arceus. I find it awkward how it's English name is pronounced and I probably wouldn't follow it regardless.
    Boo. I still do this, actually.
    I know I used to mispronounce Suicune, but I don't remember how I pronounced it in the beginning.

I still pronounce Arceus as 'ar-say-us'. Meh, I know it's wrong, but whatever.

I know there were others, but I cannot remember them. ^_^;
    xX

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back