• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How young is too young for a cell phone?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    I'm 15 now and I still don't have a cell phone. I see kids who are like, 9 with them, which I really think is a bit too young, but maybe I'm just jealous. I feel I'm old enough to have a cell phone.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
    I got mine when I was 12 because my school was a bit far away and I had rehearsals and things that I needed to be picked up from at random times. It was a crappy hand-me-down thing - a Nokia of some kind - but I didn't mind. It did what it had to, and I hardly used it. I'm nearly 17 now, and I have my own phone on a texting plan, but I still barely use it. During the school year, I'll text one or both of my parents 1-3 times a day, and a couple of my friends maybe three times a week (I tend to Skype them from my computer). I don't call or take calls on it - as a matter of fact, the speaker's busted so I can't, but that's incidental - and I'm pretty sure I could manage without it if I had to. So like some others have said, it varies depending on the child. If they're out of the house and moving around a lot, I'd make sure they had one. If they were like me and just sat at home pretty much all day . . . no real need, I guess?

EDIT: Mum says she'll get my sister one when she's thirteen. She whines about it incessantly, though. Never mind the fact that she'd probably end up not using it . . . XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I still don't have a cell phone. Don't want one. And I know my kids won't be getting a cell phone till they head off to college... unless I buy them one of those "emergency" ones that can only dial out to 911, in case they actually do get in trouble.

But no, I don't my kids having cell phones just so they go off while we're eating or sleeping, or have them distract my kids from their studying. And I certainly won't be fitting the bill for a device I have no interest in using in the first place.

Back