• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I guess this is the right place - Cartoonish Pokemon

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years
I got really bored recently and decided to make some large Pokemon images using the sprites. Since I'm terrible at shading I just went with making them 'cartoonish'. I think they came out pretty good. SO what do you think?

G4RnK.png
mo9O1.png
V3BQI.png
zmNCt.png
5FuGx.png
aqZxg.png
Md1k2.png
Rvrzc.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
You just made a tiny mistake here, no biggie, but this section is meant for graphic design/art as well as photography and is not intended for drawings even if they are done digitally. So I'm going to shoot this on over to the Art Gallery seeing as in you have 4 examples, which is the new required amount there. If you have any other questions as to why your thread was moved feel free to contact myself or Anastasia.R. Just be sure in future that you are putting your thread in the right place. For now, I'll be moving this to the Art Gallery.

= M o v e d =

Trent_Jayir

Who the hell do you think i am
Years
Hey, these are pretty cute. It's a nice style, I think though, if you were to make more and wanted them to be better, making the outlines thinner would help alot.

Great stuff, anyway.
Eh, does your homeworld make us some kind of arch-enemies?

dead-man-walking

Alive and well
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 6, 2023
-First of all, lolidunno but they aren't... shaded?
-Widen your traced material

Good enough though. But you need some more practice to exact your tracing.

Robert Conley

Years
If I had to make a guess, it involves tracing over sprites using Flash, Illustrator or other such Vector drawing program.

Right on the tracing I use GIMP to do it though.

-First of all, lolidunno but they aren't... shaded?
-Widen your traced material

Good enough though. But you need some more practice to exact your tracing.

They aren't shaded because I can't shade at all and I think this is a much better style for these. AS for the widening it's like that because I use these for an avatar at another forum, that allows for rotating avatars, so they have to be 150x200. I'll probably make some 200x200 for this gallery to preserve the aspect ratio.
Suicune 200x200:
V3BQI.png

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
Years
They're cute, they make me think of little adoptables or something along those lines. The bold lines and solid colors make for a very simple, effective style.

Just out of curiosity, do you have anything made from scratch that I can see? You obviously know your way around GIMP pretty well so I'm guessing you could make some really decent stuff from scratch.

Robert Conley

Years
They're cute, they make me think of little adoptables or something along those lines. The bold lines and solid colors make for a very simple, effective style.

Just out of curiosity, do you have anything made from scratch that I can see? You obviously know your way around GIMP pretty well so I'm guessing you could make some really decent stuff from scratch.

Don't really have anything scratched at the moment but I'll try to make something soon. For the time being I made Sazandora:
aqZxg.png

Robert Conley

Years
You've done Sazandora too? Nice. By and by, Do you have a Deviant Art account?

Nope, I'll probably set one up later though so I have a better place to upload these. Where I upload them right now will delete them if they haven't been viewed for 90 days so DA is definitely safer. Anyway, Kibago:
Md1k2.png

Pan

Years
  • Seen Mar 21, 2023
Interesting; are you using a line tool to do this?

Back