• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I Hate Frogs

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2015
    Yes, I hate frogs: Greninja because he wrecks basically my whole team, and Politoed because he sets up rain which my team struggles with (literally nobody can deal with Tornadus, especially Tornadus-T). Sand also sucks for my team, but I've found less trouble with that because I have pretty good answers to Tyranitar (Mega Venu) and Excadrill (Skarm). I also have no set up sweepers, which I feel like I might need. If you guys could focus comments (at least to start) on addressing those issues that'd be awesome. With that, on to the team:

Quagsire @ Leftovers
    Ability: Unaware
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature
    - Recover
    - Toxic
    - Waterfall
    - Haze
    This guy needs to be here because this team is for Smogon's Baton Pass OU Suspect ladder, and Haze Quag is the only way I've been able to reliably beat Baton Pass teams. Waterfall over Scald because it breaks Scolipede's substitutes at +0 defense, and it deals hefty damage to Espeon. Aside from BP teams, this guy can take on MegaZardX. If I can get off a toxic on it, I can stall it to hell and back.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
    Ability: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk / 30 Spd
    - Synthesis
    - Giga Drain
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    One half of the common VenuTran core. HP Fire over EQ so I don't have to run Quiet, and I have Latios for Heatran (and Terrakion, since relatively few seem to run Earth Power these days). Also, and perhaps most importantly, it lets me 2HKO Mega Mawile.

Heatran @ Expert Belt
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 88 HP / 180 SAtk / 240 SDef
    Modest Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Lava Plume
    - Ancient Power
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Earth Power
    Another weird set, but it's kind of the glue that holds the team together. He is EV'd perfectly to be able to just barely take either: Stealth Rock + YZard Focus Blast/EQ, or YZard Solar Beam + Focus Blast/EQ, and then OHKO back with Ancient Power. Also lets me actually do something when I'm walling Talonflame. Will-O-Wisp for Azumarill and Tyranitar switch ins, and it lets me beat non-EQ Mega Venusaur.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    IVs: 0 Atk
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Surf
    - Dragon Pulse
    Basically the special nuke. Checks dragons and counters non-Specs Keldeo, not to mention Heatran. Also checks Sand Rush Excadrill and Hippowdon, and does extremely well against Rotom-W. I was running T-Bolt for a while but Psyshock is good enough to hit Azumarill switch ins, I guess.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Whirlwind
    Check for physical attackers like Terrakion and Azumarill. Great for finishing off near-death attackers who don't expect to take rocky helmet damage. No defog because my team doesn't really gaf about rocks, and it would mean I have to remove Whirlwind or Brave Bird. The latter would make me unable to shuffle and get extra rocks damage, and the former would make me unable to hit Mega Venusaur. The combination of Skarm and Heatran provides a perfect core to beat Mega Venusaur once I know whether it runs Earthquake or HP Fire.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat
    - X-Scissor
    - Quick Attack
    Basically the physical nuke. Nothing really wants to have to predict which STAB they will take, and even if they predict correctly and go to something that resists my choice, there's still a really good chance whatever it is will still be 2HKOd which is easy thanks to Terrakion's naturally high speed. Quick Attack to pick off weakened faster things like Greninja or Thundurus, though I'd much rather have a better answer to Greninja in general.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Haze is redundant with Unaware because with the latter, Quagsire already ignores stat boosts. Scald provides better utility than Waterfall by occasionally burning the opponent, while Earthquake provides a stronger STAB:
    -Earthquake
    -Scald
    -Toxic
    -Recover
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Unaware

Okay, what's the deal with Heatran's current spread? What KOs does it avoid? Its special bulk is already great and Heatran honestly could use Choice Scarf to fix its mediocre Speed; it also makes a good special wall (to better handle the threats you mentioned) and a good SubToxic user:
    -Overheat/Fire Blast
    -Flash Cannon
    -Stone Edge/Earth Power
    -Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Timid/Modest
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

Yes, Stone Edge sounds weird on a Timid Heatran, but it still KOs Talonflame and Charizard Y:
    0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 316-372 (106.3 - 125.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 292-344 (98.3 - 115.8%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

Alternatives:
    -Substitute
    -Lava Plume/Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    -Toxic
    -Protect
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/12 SDef/252 Spe

or
    -Lava Plume
    -Protect
    -Taunt/Roar/Stealth Rock
    -Will-o-Wisp/Toxic
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 248 HP/220 SDef/40 Spe

Hidden Power (Fire) is preferred over Dragon Pulse because of its ability to deal with Ferrothorn, which your current Latios set fails to do.

Terrakion currently lacks a way to deal with Aegislash, so it needs Earthquake over X-Scissor or Quick Attack.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2015
    Haze is redundant with Unaware because with the latter, Quagsire already ignores stat boosts. Scald provides better utility than Waterfall by occasionally burning the opponent, while Earthquake provides a stronger STAB:
    As I said, this team is for the BP suspect test ladder on Pokemon Showdown. I need Haze to avoid getting KOd by Espeon's Stored Power, and Waterfall to break Espeon's subs. I did consider changing waterfall to Earthquake though.

Okay, what's the deal with Heatran's current spread? What KOs does it avoid? Its special bulk is already great and Heatran honestly could use Choice Scarf to fix its mediocre Speed; it also makes a good special wall (to better handle the threats you mentioned) and a good SubToxic user:
    As I also mentioned, Heatran's spread avoids the KO from Stealth Rock + YZard's EQ/Focus Blast, or YZard's Solar Beam + EQ/Focus Blast. I also feel like Even a scarf set can't deal with Greninja or Politoed very well.

Hidden Power (Fire) is preferred over Dragon Pulse because of its ability to deal with Ferrothorn, which your current Latios set fails to do.
    Fair enough, I'll change that.

Terrakion currently lacks a way to deal with Aegislash, so it needs Earthquake over X-Scissor or Quick Attack.
    I'll change that too.

Still looking for a good option to fix the team's performance vs. Greninja and Rain.

Back