• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen I hate how you can't rename traded Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 3, 2008
    Fairly annoying actually, my friend got a Munchlax in a trade, and it's named "obeasity".. it's not even capitalised or spelt right!
    Rebreeding it isn't really an option because he said it's female, and it's bred to have a move he doesn't wanna lose.

Waker of Chaos

Unlimited
    Years
    A Pokémon's nickname is a reflection of the OT who nicknamed it/him/her. So if you have a Blissey nicknamed "Obesity", the OT either had a sick sense of humor, or was completely stupid.

And since it's not your Pokémon, you have no right to give it/him/her a new nickname.

Goldenhammerhead

Super Smash Bros Brawl FTW!
    Years
    A Pokémon's nickname is a reflection of the OT who nicknamed it/him/her. So if you have a Blissey nicknamed "Obesity", the OT either had a sick sense of humor, or was completely stupid.

And since it's not your Pokémon, you have no right to give it/him/her a new nickname.

acually....when i was breeding i could not get a bold blissey....so on the 80th egg i decided to quit and named it EGGHEAD in anger...IT WAS BOLD and i havent changed it...lol

Pokemon Professor

~The Expert~
    Years
    Nicknaming is good. It makes your pokemon unique to al he others of the same species in the world. With this new wifi trading online in DP, the nickname idea has changed. I mean, in th past, you're usually trading with a friend and so it's pretty easy to get what you want. What if you wat to search wifi for a perfect natured pokemon so you trade off dozens of bidoofs for starlys and get good natures. Now you can't nickname it.

You can't even nickname your own pokemon that were migrated from GBA games. That's the stupidest part. Like I said already, it's worse than anything else because you have a definite 0% chance of trading it back. Not possible. So Nintendo needs to fix it.

Who cares about respect for the retarded OT? If you get a Pokémon, you want a name for it that you want, right? I mean, if someone traded me a good natured Lickitung and called it PooHead, I wouldn't go "Oh, I should start ev training it now! I don't want to change the nickname! It would be disrespect for the OT!" in fact I would say something more like this: "Damn this retard! I finally get a pokemon fit to be ev trained and it has the worst possible name in the world! If I battle friends with this, they'll think I'm a loon!"

ウールフ the world doesn't just revolve around breeding off pokemon. What if you got a pokemon with 1 or more stats with perfect ivs and the pokemon was a good nature? And then you saw that the nickname was HomoMan. See my point? And if you breed with the retarded ditto, who's to say you will get the same nature and ivs and gender and whatever? And you call yourself a Pokémon Master! You didn't even know that the baby pokemon inherits the father's moves and not the mother's! It inherits the mother's species and 1 or 2 of the father's moves.

Can a moderator maybe add a poll to this topic please? Then we could vote and show how we really feel. We might get somewhere then instead of arguing over which is best. Although honestly, if you could nickname any pokemon, you don't have to. If you want to keep the nickname or have respect for the OT then you don't have to change it's nickname! It's just a feature that's there in case. That's what most of us want. If you DON'T want it, don't use it.

Last edited:

Monty Kensicle

"Wowsers!"
    Years
    I haven't had any problems with the nicknames of Pokemon I've received in trades, some of the names are thoughtful like, Cordelia the Ralts, and Pikachika the Pikachu.

But recently I did receive a Manaphy named, "POOP!"

With all due respect,

~Monty Kensicle

Pokemon Professor

~The Expert~
    Years
    Yea, sometimes nicknames are ok e.g. I got a Glameow off the GTS the first time I used GTS and it was nicknamed Paris. But when you decide to change their names or what not, you expect to be able to do it. It's only a game anyway. Like I said before, you should have the means do to it if you do so wish and if you don't agree with it, don't do it. Simple. Plus it's only a game. It's not like real life so who cares about people's names or animal's names in real life? It's a game! You can even change your nickname on some websites and most chatrooms too!

Gοяκнaвоii

I am MIRAJ =]
    Years
    =]

=] just live with it.
    The only thing that buggs me, is the rude nickname people sometimes give their pokemon... the WiFi trade center should have a "censored Nick Remover" so that rude names are reset to their pokemon names =[

and; like, you can view the pokemon summary (i think) before you take the pokemon from WiFi, so well, be smart and check b4 you trade =]

~Gοяκнaвоii
    NekroBoi

Pokemon Professor

~The Expert~
    Years
    You're a real genius - not. You CANNOT view the summary of a Pokemon on the GTS making it EXTREMELY ridiculous because its pretty much pot luck. You say just to live with it? You can't be a proper fan... Proper trainers would definitely agree that this feature should be included. In fact, it's more work not letting you nickname every Pokémon!

They could easily send out a patch on WiFi via Myster Gift or something to fix it. Now look at this. To let you nickname every pokemon, the game has to execute code that will do this: Check selected pokemon to be nicknamed, ask if you want to rename, if yes, go to name enter screen.

Simple, eh? But what if it was to stop you from nicknaming pokemon that didn't match your trainer ID and secret ID (which you obviously can't naturally find out the secret ID). The code would do this instead: Check selected pokemon to be nicknamed. If trainer ID and secret = player trainer ID and player secret ID, ask if you ant to rename, if yes, go to name enter screen.

Now that may sound weird but I don't know what programming language they do Pokémon in and I can gurantee I won't know it so I can't really write that out as proper code plus I don't know what THEIR variables are.

Anyway, that's it. If they remove the 'if' parts for checking to see if the trainer and secret IDs match the current player's IDs, the problem is solved. It's that easy and I doubt they've made it much more complicated.

FINALLY, like I've said lots already. Stop complaining. If we want it, we have a right to want it. If it was patched, you don'thave to take advantage of the patch. Use it if you want, don't use it if you're not happy with using it. That way, it's available if you want it but if you don't want it, you're not spoiling it for evryone else who wants it because it's in the game - you just don't have to use it!

Pieandcowz

Teh Moo Cow
    Years
    • Seen Aug 26, 2014
    I'm not too sure if this is the correct place to put this, but does anybody else absolutely hate the fact that you can't rename traded Pokemon? I traded my low-level pokemon for a level 100 Umbreon thinking I got an amazing deal, to find out that it's name is something along the lines of somebody who enjoys homosexual activities. Great. :(

I know what you mean.. Their are a lot of pedophiles/homosexuals who play this game trying to lure children over the game to go to their there house to to have them go to theirs. Its scary.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    I don't mind nicknamed Pokemon myself.
    If it's a trade, I'll simply ask for a nickname change before the trade, and if it's the GTS, I search for "normal" trades.
    (From my experience, unbalanced trades are usually done to annoy people by sending them hacked Pokemon with bad names.)

I myself send Japanese nicknamed Pokemon on GTS, and feel happy when I get an English nicknamed Pokemon in return.

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    Agreed, especially since I got traded a Castform nicknamed Ink Fart. >.<

I hate nicknaming them. I used to do it in R/B/Y but then I realized how annoying and irritating it is since you can't see them in the boxes like in later generations.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back