• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I hate Rain Dance! (UU)

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    After laddering on Smogon, I found that my Rain Dance weakness was immense, and that I had no insurance against the physical or special sweepers that use it. Thus, I was forced to alter my team around to cope with the mass amount of Rain Dance abusers:

I hate Rain Dance! (UU)

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
    Adamant
    252 Att/200 Spe/56 HP
    Stealth Rock
    Taunt
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

Comments: Okay, best lead in UU ever? Maybe...Gets the job done with Stealth Rock and Taunts set ups. Also does nice damage to a lot of fragile sweepers.

I hate Rain Dance! (UU)

Quagsire @ Choice Band
    Adamant
    252 HP/252 Att/6 SpD
    Earthquake
    Waterfall
    Ice Punch
    Stone Edge

Comments: Quagsire is my answer to things like Kabutops, Omastar, Gorebyss (assuming they all have HP Electric) It also hits like a truck, and is unexpected (just like CBPert) Moveset is for coverage, though I don't know if I could fit something else in. This guy can also reliably do some crazy things like 2HKOing Max HP/0 Def Kyogre with Earthquake

I hate Rain Dance! (UU)

Sharpedo @ Choice Scarf
    Hasty
    80 Att/252 SpA/176 Spe
    Hydro Pump
    Crunch
    Ice Beam
    Earthquake/HP Grass

Comments: As a revenge killer, few fit the bill as well as Sharpedo. It's piss-poor defenses make it unable to switch in, but that's not the point of this set. Taking out Ninetails, Steelix, Aggron, Rotom, and even Quagsire (if I use HP Grass) is extremely important.

I hate Rain Dance! (UU)

Hitmonlee @ Choice Band
    Jolly
    252 Att/252 Spe/6 HP
    Close Combat
    Stone Edge
    Earthquake
    Mach Punch

Comments: An absolute terror for things that don't resist its moveset. Really, Close Combat, Stone Edge, and Earthquake handle nearly all of my sweeping needs, however, Mach Punch is a nice priority that lets me finished off weakened foes.

I hate Rain Dance! (UU)

Jynx @ Leftovers
    Timid
    252 SpA/252 Spe/6 HP
    Calm Mind
    Lovely Kiss
    Substitute
    Ice Beam

Comments: Mono-attacking Pokemons always bothered me, but in UU, Ice Beam has excellent coverage against everything. Jynx is an absolute beast when set up. And in a metagame where Base 95 is pretty good, that leaves a lot of opprotunities.

I hate Rain Dance! (UU)

Rotom @ Leftovers
    Bold
    252 HP/252 Def/6 SpA
    Discharge
    Shadow Ball
    Rest
    Sleep Talk

Comments: Rotom is still a fantastic sleep absorber and overall bulk of any team. Handling many things with a bulky spread as well as hitting things hard with that STAB Base 120 Discharge (para support is also nice)

Huge Threats
    I hate Rain Dance! (UU)

Gorebyss is something I gravely fear. Things like ScarfElectrode or Mantine could work, but I can't find slots FOR them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2009
    Would Lanturn be a good counter to Gorebyss as well?

How does Sharpedo fare against Gorebyss?

As for replacing a member, the only one I see that doesn't fill a necessary role is Jynx, though replacing her with something like Scarf Electrode, Mantine, or Lanturn would kind of hurt your offensive capability. The only other thing I can think of is replacing Rotom with a status absorbing Mantine or perhaps Lanturn that could also function as a Gorebyss counter.

Walrein

Banned
    Years
    So you fear my sweet, aquetic lady? Nice to see someone actually admiring it's beauty and power. But as nobody likes to lose even to his favorites, I'll let you know most Rain Dancing Gorebyss are Modest, and Electrod can outurn them even without Scarf. Poliwarth may have Water Absorb, but it's weak to Psychic, so avoid that. As said, Lanturn and Lapras counter most of their Water-type brethren thanks to their Electrical moves access, trait and typing, so they can help you.
    Great team besides that-even thought the more bulky special Rotoms forms would be better for Sleep Talking...

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    Gorebyss isn't as much of a problem as you think. According to base stats, Gorebyss has only base 75 sp. def. That means that if they don't invest a lot of sp. def. EVs, Sharpedo can outspeed and OHKO with HP Grass.

Syaoran

most likely hates your guts
    Years
    Gorebyss isn't as much of a problem as you think. According to base stats, Gorebyss has only base 75 sp. def. That means that if they don't invest a lot of sp. def. EVs, Sharpedo can outspeed and OHKO with HP Grass.

75 SDef is enough to ensure Gorebyss will survive an HP grass from Sharpedo.

Poliwrath isn't that great at "countering" Gorebyss now that Hypnosis is at 60%.

I don't understand why you insist on giving Hitmonlee Choice Band, Life Orb is always superior on that pokemon IMO, and Mach Punch is a lot more vital than Blaze Kick, according to my experience with it.

If you hate Rain Dance that much, use a Sunny Day Vileplume with Sleep Powder, Solarbeam/Energy Ball and Synthesis so you can scare them back.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2009
    If you hate Rain Dance that much, use a Sunny Day Vileplume with Sleep Powder, Solarbeam/Energy Ball and Synthesis so you can scare them back.
    QFT. Sunny Day ruins Rain Dancers, especially because most Gorebyss/Kabutops/Omastar don't run Rain Dance on themselves, but rather depend on their Electrode to set it up. So once you remove the Electrode, if you get Sunny Day set up they're screwed.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    The thing is, Vileplume can't switch into Gorebyss, set up Sunny Day, and live to tell about it. Doesn't Ice Beam from Modest Gorebyss OHKO the standard set?

As for Poliwrath, he was mostly filler, since I gravely needed something to handle Kabutops. Unfortunately, I believe the standard Kabutops outruns Electrode EVEN with Max Speed.

I use CB Hitmonlee since I find the power increase helpful in a lot of situations, but it could be changed, I guess.

So, over Poliwrath, who could fit in?

Walrein

Banned
    Years
    Poliwarth is great-it's just weak to Gorebyss's Psychic. But if countering my lady is more important to you, use Lapras or Lanturn-they are unique among the Water-type by their ability to counter most other Water-types. Lanturn even counters Lapras and Kyogre themselfs. Abomasnow counters both Lapras and Lanturn, but you won't be seeing it in UU.

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
    Years
    Well Vance, there is no "standard set" for Vileplume. Each set has its own EV spread. If you're talking about against a 252sp.atk/252spd/6HP, then Gorebyss must have a Life Orb to OHKO. Then again, a defensive set takes like...60-70%.

To conclude this, Vileplume can't come in worth crap against Gorebyss. Then again, there are no sturdier Chlorophyll Pokemon that are UU, if I remember that correctly. However, I see a niche here; if you get something to set up Sunny Day FOR you, then that would be an excellent addition. Then, Vileplume comes in, becomes faster than any Swift Swimmer, and you threaten to devastate a lot of a team.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I went with Quagsire, since the most Gorebyss can do is Ice Beam (which...still 2HKO's it I think) HP Grass is rare since Mantine so effectively walls them, and Quagsire also can beat Kabutops and Qwilfish (lacking Explosion)

sims796

We're A-Comin', Princess!
    Years
    Funny how most of your team benifits from Rain Dance. Ironic, really.

Well, if you will have Plume on your team, who can survive ANYTHING except a Luvdisc Water Pulse, then I second what ABYAY was saying about another Sunny Day starter seprate Plume.

Or Quagsire, you wuss >=[

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Well...Quagsire's taking Poliwrath's place. I'm a little concerned if my sweeping power is high or not. Aero is mostly fodder, Rotom a wall, and Sharpedo a revenge killer (though he can sweep from time to time) That leaves Hitmonlee, Jynx, and Quagsire.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I think all of his forms are OU currently, since I haven't since a single UU Rotom form other than the standard.

Syaoran

most likely hates your guts
    Years
    Uhh.. you're right. Vileplume isn't as bulky as I thought. A Surf + Ice Beam definitely KO's, so he can't switch in at all. The only thing that can take on Gorbysss, Omastar and Kabutops successfully is Golduck. You could try a Specs set, or CM.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Lack of physical sweeping will hurt this team ;_; I also don't want to lose Jynx.

Back