• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I need a new forum system, but what?

perthskies

Nostalgic
    Years
    I need a new forum system for my site. Previously I've been using forums that have were hosted by the company itself. First it was ProBoards... they were quite OK, and we nice and simple. However, the minimum 13 years of age rule on all their boards was quite inappropriate since my forum does concern some younger members, being an anime forum. So we moved to InvisionFree.. things looked good, until some stupid moron reported my board in (frequent spammer, and just trying to get revenge since I banned him. Appearantly he spams because he's depressed, but I'll stopt here.)

So InvisionFree has that rule too, and well, I'm simply thinking of moving boards again or just uploading a forum to my site server.

Please, tell me what's a good forum system that's easy to set-up? If I install forums on my own site server, does the 13 year old rule apply? On InvisionFree, I had to enable COPPA registration system as advised by the staff, but I seriously DOUBT that people will go through that much trouble. I just want to make a forum, and get it all right at the start in setting it up by appearance and forums, and just get on with my own site, not to worry about these problems.

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

PGN

I am now PGNFounder
    Years
    There are a few other forum systems, such as:
    MyBB
    vBulletin (Costs money)
    phpBB (Has the COPPA thing)
    SMF (Simple Machines Forum)

...Incase you didn't know, you don't have to do the COPPA thing on your board if you don't live in the USA...

perthskies

Nostalgic
    Years
    Ok, thanks for the respones people. ^^; I take it they all require a MySQL database on the server if I want to install it on my site? *sighs, and realises he doesn't have one*

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Sep 27, 2009
    vBulliten rocks, I wouldnt ever chose anything over it, its only like 100 bucks anyways

Kipkip

Join the Revolution
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jun 24, 2007
    AZSupraT said:
    vBulliten rocks, I wouldnt ever chose anything over it, its only like 100 bucks anyways
    You talk like people here can get 100 bucks easy. Well, I can't.
    phpBB is my favorite forum becuase of the really cool hacks. It dose have the COPPA thing, but you can always turn it off.

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
    Older versions of phpBB didn't give you the option of turning off COPPA, I believe. I always just changed the source files so that the age variable was always set to the >13 option, while only having one "I agree to the terms and conditions" option without the age junk.

phpBB is incredibly easy to modify.

MalafeX

Typhlosion #1 fan
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    because it is, proboard, doesn't even have half the features smf got, and smf got better skin, you can use it at your own servers, it got group controls as great as vbulletin and other cool things.

MalafeX

Typhlosion #1 fan
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Nov 1, 2023
    JKaizer said:
    proboards is a stripped down version of YaBB, which SMF is based on.
    well smf is really based on yabbse and yabbse is based on yabb, and proboards, was made by one of the developers, still for me, yabb is better than proboard, yabbse is better than yabb and smf is better than all of them, but now i like mybb more, is easy to modified and good group and admin permissions.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    What's RyuX?

It seems I can never be satisfied with any hosting companines. *Feels the urge to move PJN again...>>;*

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I know...I'm thinking about Shyper's $2/month =P

I'd be doing that just for the domain....=/

Back