• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I step forth into the TCG world and have a question

Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2014
    Hello! I decided I would get into TCG. I found competitive play in the games too difficult with Ev's and Iv's and whatnot... just headache galore. So I decided to treat myself to the idea to hoppin' into the TCG. Planning to pick up a Elite box set and a card box. Is there anything in advance I should know about TCG tournaments, official to unofficial other than basic rules? Just checking myself before entering anything.
    And does anyone know any tips as to nicely even out a deck, from pokemon/energy/trainers?
    Thanks guys!

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2015
    Depends on your deck type. If you're like the Delphox/Emboar or Blastoise/Keldeo type, then you might want to run a lot of energy. Otherwise...

Years
    Hello! I decided I would get into TCG. I found competitive play in the games too difficult with Ev's and Iv's and whatnot... just headache galore. So I decided to treat myself to the idea to hoppin' into the TCG. Planning to pick up a Elite box set and a card box. Is there anything in advance I should know about TCG tournaments, official to unofficial other than basic rules? Just checking myself before entering anything.
    And does anyone know any tips as to nicely even out a deck, from pokemon/energy/trainers?
    Thanks guys!

Okay, for official tournaments, deck sleeves with any sort of pattern on the back, with the exception of officially licensed Pokemon sleeves, are not allowed to be used, as it's considered "marking" a card, which is a form of cheating as far as most trading card games are concerned. That's a big thing most people don't realize in advance.

Also, you'll have to register to get yourself a Play!Pokemon player ID, which they use to track your performance and also sometimes use for player reward things.

As for a card ratio, it depends on what you run, but this thread here, despite referencing cards from a few years back, still contains many relevant tips: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=275378

Back