• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I think that game companies should start making videogames again

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I think that game companies should start making videogames again. Because recently, they haven't been. Sure, game companies have been making stuff Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty - "mature" stuff, but those aren't really videogames. Videogames are meant to be for kids. There aren't enough good videogames for kids.

There are only a few companies who put any effort into developing children's games nowadays. For most game companies, children's games are just a side thing that they do to make some extra money to fund their new "mature" game. I think that is bad. I think it is okay to have some mature games, but most games should be for children.

I think it is really a shame that the videogames industry is moving in this "mature" direction. I go into a game shop, and there aren't enough game cases with primary colors on them. And all the games have really grim titles. It's so sad.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    If you want kids games, get a wii.
    No-one's asking you to play Call of Duty or Assassin's creed.

Because that's how it divides out nowadays.
    The Wii is for Casuals.
    The Xbox and PS3 is for the more serious, mature gamer.
    People aren't making any money by putting kids games on a console made for adults.

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
    I think that game companies should start making videogames again. Because recently, they haven't been. Sure, game companies have been making stuff Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty - "mature" stuff, but those aren't really videogames. Videogames are meant to be for kids. There aren't enough good videogames for kids.

There are only a few companies who put any effort into developing children's games nowadays. For most game companies, children's games are just a side thing that they do to make some extra money to fund their new "mature" game. I think that is bad. I think it is okay to have some mature games, but most games should be for children.

I think it is really a shame that the videogames industry is moving in this "mature" direction. I go into a game shop, and there aren't enough game cases with primary colors on them. And all the games have really grim titles. It's so sad.

Video games aren't as appealing to children as they used to be. A lot of children do not have the attention span to play video games and they do not feel like they're accomplishing anything by doing so. Plenty of children prefer watching television or just playing outside with their friends, rather than playing a video game that's full of tedious forced tutorials and has little to no plot. (Just generalising children's video games, they're not all like that.)

There are still plenty of video games aimed at children though. You're on a forum dedicated to a video game which is mainly aimed at children right now. I don't see what your problem is. Older people have longer attention spans and can actually sit down and enjoy playing a good video game. Older people are also more capable of understanding plots and character development.

If you want to play children's video games then play on the Nintendo DS or the Wii. What's wrong with Xbox 360 and PS3 games? In most cases, PS3 and Xbox 360 provide better video games with a more complex story line. You should be able to enjoy and understand all kinds of video games if you're a real video game fan.

Years
    I think that game companies should start making videogames again. Because recently, they haven't been. Sure, game companies have been making stuff Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty - "mature" stuff, but those aren't really videogames.

They aren't?

Videogames are meant to be for kids.

They are?

There aren't enough good videogames for kids.

There aren't?

Everything else aside, lets look at this from a business perspective, who is ore likely to have how ever much is costs to spend on a game? Older people, not children. Game's aren't cheap to buy and they are aiming for the most realistic market.

Also, Nintendo and Sega? I think that's all we need to be honest, with the amount of shovelware on the Wii and the DS there are plenty enough kids games.

The maturation of games is exactly what the industry needs, with depth, meaning, values, storylines, et cetera, games are the closest they have ever been to being respected as an art form by outsiders. Yes there's still a long way to go but if we go back to aiming games at kids where the most depth a game has is the creases in a fat plumbers belly then we'll the industry will take a huge step backwards.

This point, I sort of agree with but this isn't at the fault of mature games, just games in general trying to be "realistic". There's plenty of colourful mature games, Team Fortress 2, Okami, XIII, Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2... I could do on.

And even so, if you gave me the choice between the "primary colours" of Wii Sports and the grey/brown of Heavy Rain I know what I'd go for.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    If you want kids games, get a wii.

I do have a Wii. But even on the Wii, I don't think there are enough good children's games. Apart from the games that Nintendo makes - Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing - most of the children's games on the Wii are just minigame compliations that the developers probably put together in an afternoon whilst waiting to be promoted to the development team for their new gritty sandbox game.

Video games aren't as appealing to children as they used to be. A lot of children do not have the attention span to play video games and they do not feel like they're accomplishing anything by doing so. Plenty of children prefer watching television or just playing outside with their friends, rather than playing a video game that's full of tedious forced tutorials and has little to no plot. (Just generalising children's video games, they're not all like that.)

You are wrong, children still like playing videogames.

Older people have longer attention spans and can actually sit down and enjoy playing a good video game. Older people are also more capable of understanding plots and character development.

I think children can understand plots and character development too. There are lots of children's books and children's movies that have good plots and character development.

Everything else aside, lets look at this from a business perspective, who is ore likely to have how ever much is costs to spend on a game? Older people, not children. Game's aren't cheap to buy and they are aiming for the most realistic market.

That's true.

The maturation of games is exactly what the industry needs, with depth, meaning, values, storylines, et cetera

You can have those things in children's games too. Children are quite bright - they can follow stories. They read Harry Potter novels, so they can probably sit through some lines of dialogue.

games are the closest they have ever been to being respected as an art form by outsiders. Yes there's still a long way to go but if we go back to aiming games at kids where the most depth a game has is the creases in a fat plumbers belly then we'll the industry will take a huge step backwards.

I don't see why people so obsessed about videogames being accepted as "art". I think that videogames were closer to "art" when they were pixels, because pixel games are a bit post-modern and original. Nowadays, the games that people say are "art" are just trying to emulate other mediums. But I don't think you can say a game is art because it "looks like the movies", or because it has an graphic style based on Japanese watercolor paintings.

This point, I sort of agree with but this isn't at the fault of mature games, just games in general trying to be "realistic". There's plenty of colourful mature games, Team Fortress 2, Okami, XIII, Just Cause 2, Saints Row 2... I could do on.

I don't really mind whether they have primary colors or not. That was just a roundabout way of saying that there aren't enough children's games in stores.

I think it's a shame, because videogames have the potential to inspire kids and develop their imaginations. But instead, the current videogame climate has created a generation of basement-dwellers who spend a lot of their time playing videogames and somehow manage to act all elitist about it.

Years
    You can have those things in children's games too. Children are quite bright - they can follow stories. They read Harry Potter novels, so they can probably sit through some lines of dialogue.

When you say "children" what age range are you actually talking about? The term is kinda generic.

Either way I'd hardly call Harry Potter anywhere near as deep as the likes of Mass Effect or Heavy Rain. You're always limited by age when it comes to children and what's correct and moral to be showing to minors. It's not just about simple dialogue but the issues it raises, health, sex, violence, morales. Most "children's" games don't go much deeper than "we can do anything with teamwork".

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
    We don't don't need more children's games, we need more games that anyone can play. Examples of games that can be enjoyed by anyone of any age are Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan (Classic), Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, and a few others. There need to be more video games that aren't directed at the more mature, gritty crowd, or the whimsical and naive children crowd. There need to be games that have both a light hearted story and/or characters that kids can get into, but also a deeper meaning behind certain things, that adults would be able to get into to.

A good example of this is the Kingdom Hearts series, it has the many colorful characters from Disney, like Donald Duck and Aladdin, along with its darker ones, like Pirates of the Carribean and Nightmare before Christmas, it also contains a storyline reminiscent of a Final Fantasy styled one, only toned down to be more suitable for the kids, but not to the point that it won't be loved by adults. It also leaves a variety of mysteries that younger gamers usually wouldn't care to ponder, but older gamers would, and even talk amongst themselves about.

リュザキ

Pokemon Detective
    Years
    We don't don't need more children's games, we need more games that anyone can play. Examples of games that can be enjoyed by anyone of any age are Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan (Classic), Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, and a few others. There need to be more video games that aren't directed at the more mature, gritty crowd, or the whimsical and naive children crowd. There need to be games that have both a light hearted story and/or characters that kids can get into, but also a deeper meaning behind certain things, that adults would be able to get into to.

A good example of this is the Kingdom Hearts series, it has the many colorful characters from Disney, like Donald Duck and Aladdin, along with its darker ones, like Pirates of the Carribean and Nightmare before Christmas, it also contains a storyline reminiscent of a Final Fantasy styled one, only toned down to be more suitable for the kids, but not to the point that it won't be loved by adults. It also leaves a variety of mysteries that younger gamers usually wouldn't care to ponder, but older gamers would, and even talk amongst themselves about.

I would have to agree you with you on that. I would rather have games that where made for anyone. I would rather play games with my little sister like the Lego games or Pokemon.

In all seriousness and honesty, I am playing the same games I did as a kid. Fighters, Shooters, Rpgs, Racers, and Adventures.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    I'd hardly call Harry Potter anywhere near as deep as the likes of Mass Effect or Heavy Rain. You're always limited by age when it comes to children and what's correct and moral to be showing to minors. It's not just about simple dialogue but the issues it raises, health, sex, violence, morales.

It is sad that the current gaming climate has tricked you into thinking that health(?), sex, violence, morales(?) are necessary for a good story.

We don't don't need more children's games, we need more games that anyone can play. Examples of games that can be enjoyed by anyone of any age are Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, MegaMan (Classic), Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, and a few others.

Yes, those are the kinds of games I am talking about: games that are made for children, but can also be enjoyed by teenagers and older people because they appeal to our inner childishness.

There need to be more video games that aren't directed at the more mature, gritty crowd, or the whimsical and naive children crowd. There need to be games that have both a light hearted story and/or characters that kids can get into, but also a deeper meaning behind certain things, that adults would be able to get into to.

No, I think that children's games should appeal to adults at the same level that they would appeal to a child. Like a family movie - adults don't watch those because there is a deep hidden meaning. Adults watch them to feel like children.

Ryden

Friendly Lurker
    Years

I have to say, I completely agree with you. So much so, I don't really have a whole lot more I could add myself now XD
    No, I think that children's games should appeal to adults at the same level that they would appeal to a child. Like a family movie - adults don't watch those because there is a deep hidden meaning. Adults watch them to feel like children.
    You should take a closer look at those Children Movies, They generally tend to add some context that Children wouldn't notice, but the adults watching would and usually are amused by it. Course this is not saying they' don't watching to feel young again or anything. I know I personally watch for the adventure and the silly humor, but I also keep and eye and ear out for those hidden adult things that had so I can go "hah I see what you did thar" though not actually saying those words :P

Anyways I'd have to say there hasn't really been a happy medium between Children and Adult orientated games for a while now, but I usually look at this from the gamer prespective. and in my Gamer prespective I find game companies have being trying to branch out too much, trying to bring in newer and different crowds. The Wii's master plan is to be the family gaming system. creating simplics, yet fun games everyone can sit down and enjoy. While PS3 and xbox try to attract in those "Adult" character with there war and racing games, along with anything that they can depic as violent.

I honestly miss the old 16bit days I spent on my SNES. My Brother and I would went a game every week and always be entertained by whatever we randomly selected. now in days, I would bother renting a game, because it just seems like a waste of money, and I'm usually disappointed by my random selection. I truly miss having a good platformer/sidescrolling game to be entertained by. oh Sure, some still get made, but nothing like it was before. and these were the types of games anyone could enjoy.

Honestly if game companies just went back to catering to the true gamer, we'd see alot more games everyone could now enjoy.

blaze_the_cat

Entire team is babies!
    Years
    Since when are video games exclusively kids territory? My cousin, who i would assume is around his late 20s, early 30s, still plays videogames.

I was taught its rude to ask ages of family members.

And as mentioned, rarely are gaming companies in it to make games fun for kids. Lets face it, many are in it to line their own pockets. Exceptions are companies like Bungie which listen to fans, and have fun playing their own games.

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
    You are wrong, children still like playing videogames.

I take it as you didn't read my post correctly, or you would have realised that what I was trying to say. I said that less children play 'video games'. By less children playing video games, I meant what you thought real video games were. (Hurr Durr, all video games should be aimed at children.) Let's face it, not as many children play children's video games now. Over one third of adults let their children play eighteen rated games, it's a proven fact in the United Kingdom. Because of this, some children prefer playing mature video games and less children play your kind of video games.

I think children can understand plots and character development too. There are lots of children's books and children's movies that have good plots and character development.

Okay, what age are you generalizing children as? Presuming that it's anything from age eight to age fourteen, how many children do you think will understand the storyline and plot of a game such as Final Fantasy XIII? Do you think that they'd understand the characters feelings and personality after a short while of playing as them? Most children won't - plus a lot of them won't understand larger words like condescending, contradictory, hypocritical, etc.

The video gaming industry should be aimed at both children and adults. You think that there should just be video games for children, which is completely wrong. Adults will be the ones paying out more to businesses, so it's smart to cater to a more mature audience. If you want to play children's video games then that's your choice. Some people want a more challenging and realistic experience and the video game industry is trying to cater to those people.

Summing this up with one final fact, just to back up what I said about Adults being the main consumer of video games earlier.

"While 25% of video-game players are under 18, the majority of players are adults. The adult demographic is the fastest-growing segment of the American video-games market with 32% of adults playing video games. As a result, the average (or median) age of the video-game player is 35; however, the median age is "often used to deflect from the fact that almost all American children are exposed to video games."
    -Wikipedia

Also, this thread is now based around nostalgia and nothing more. Just sayin'.

Years
    It is sad that the current gaming climate has tricked you into thinking that health(?), sex, violence, morales(?) are necessary for a good story.

Oh I've clearly been tricked in forming my own opinion, how could I have been so blind to their treachery?!

Yes, all them things ARE needed for a good story because without them you have the likes of a princess being kidnapped for the umpteenth time. To identify with a real audience, in my opinion, you need real issues, not the clichéd crap Nintendo are spoon feeding us.

And I'm not sure what you mean by the question marks, do you want me to elaborate on the two?

Also, for the record by "sex" I don't actually mean just sex, all the stuff with comes with it, relationships, love, hate, unions, break-ups, desires, fears, emotions, I appreciate that might not have been clear.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2010
    Videogames are meant to be for kids.
    Video games are not specified as being just meant for kids. That's where all those misconceptions come from. People on the news complain about violence in games because they think they're a toy that kids play, in actual fact they have ratings and those games are meant for adult players; they're still classed as video games though.

I don't see why people so obsessed about videogames being accepted as "art". I think that videogames were closer to "art" when they were pixels, because pixel games are a bit post-modern and original. Nowadays, the games that people say are "art" are just trying to emulate other mediums. But I don't think you can say a game is art because it "looks like the movies", or because it has an graphic style based on Japanese watercolor paintings.
    People just want to class them as art because they want them to be respected as a medium in the same way film and literature is. Artful Games have even been kicked out of awards for being distasteful, yet a film with the same content could get away with it. This sort of injustice infuriates people who are passionate about the industry. There was a time when films were new though and they were also disrespected. I think any game mature or not can be summed up as art in the way that they involve design, concept art, sound/music, narrative... etc...

I like the fact that games have a large focus towards adults because older people also like to enjoy a little play-time sometimes. Once you've grown out of your toys games are the only medium left that allow you to still experience that joy and delight in an accepted way. It doesn't mean games shouldn't be made for a variety of people though, but kids shouldn't be put off playing with more traditional 'real' toys, which games can't replace. Toys are important in helping children to experience creativity and stuff.

When I was a kid I use to play games like Tomb Raider and stuff. If kind of feels like games have matured with me.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    How about, instead of more children's game, we say more well-made children games instead? Or that the amount that already exists should be better?

Think of all the classics we respect from yesteryear. All those great games and franchises. They're fantastic games, but are they any less because they are family-friendly?

The current games in these franchises aren't what they once were. New IPs are often subpar. The resources go toward the mature titles. Not a problem. But if I grew up today rather than when I did, I wouldn't be anywhere the gamer I am today. I'd be bored.

Games aren't for kids. They are for everybody, but we are increasingly moving from great games that can be enjoyed by everyone to great games that can be enjoyed by adults.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    There are too many films directed at adults these days, trash like The Dark Knight, Avatar, Green zone etc. It's time film directors started making films directed at children, when i go to my local cinema I am saddened by the lack of bright, cute imagary on posters, in stead just lots of explosions and stuff.

Years
    The average age of a gamer in the US is 35 years old and they have been playing games for over 12 years. Video games are, and were never meant to be for kids only.
    The Xbox and PS3 is for the more serious, mature gamer.
    Ah yes both of these systems are quite clearly for the 'serious' gamer!
    That's why Microsoft and Sony are investing in casual gaming!

If we have to pick a platform for the 'serious' gamer it would be the PC given that the majority of e-sport competitions are focused on this platform.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    Yeah, but who the hell owns an Xbox or a PS3 and is actually going to buy Natal or Move?
    If i do, they'll both sit in the corner of my room.
    Just like my wii.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Of course because it's black and grey are mature.
    The primary colours aren't.

Hardcore isn't about skill and difficulty, it's about guns and blood.

No.

The Hardcore and Casual argument is absolutely pointless, and of course now the Wii has gained a label for the "casual" gamers option, Games with colour are automatically thrown in the "casual" pile, so those "hardcore", "serious" gamers won't got near it. And Serious? honestly? anyone who takes gaming seriously is pathetic. Gaming is meant to be a piece of entertainment, of course you can get annoyed at games if things don't go to right, but if people are taking it seriously, they are what's wrong with gaming, not the third parties looking to jump on the money train by pumping out a Wii party game that took them about 4 weeks to make.

But now look, Natal and Move are coming out, uh-oh...Looks like your precious "hardcore" consoles are going to get a massive shovelware dump placed right on their heads. But of course, what are sony doing? trying to market Move as the "hardcore" alternative to the Wii. Motion Fighter? If you asked someone to make a parody of what a PS3 version to Wii boxing would look like, it would be that.

Anyway, Nintendo themselves have basically scrapped Motion control, It's all about 2D platformers now, And then Sony and Microsoft will jump on the bandwagon again..With Nintendo being one step ahead.

Back