• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I thought Paul was gone..

DavidBarnes

Forever young.
    Years
    Okay, okay. MAYBE I didn't like Sinnoh, due to how kinda lame it was, but Best Wishes may be better!
    Is what I thought. And STILL think after watching the first episode.

But the only think that bothered me even in the slightest is that this guy Trip just SCREAMS Paul.

Agree? Disagree?

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
    Yep, they seem quite similar to me as well. I wish Ash's main rival was a girl to make a change.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    All of Ash main rivals act like a jerk to Ash not just Paul and Trip. If you remember back to Kanto Gary used to treat Ash like a jerk. All rivals have something similar, so I don't see how one is a carbon copy of another. Gary is more I'm better then you, look at my car and women your a loser Ash. Paul is more concerned with power and winning at all costs even if it means treating his pokemon like crap. And Trip seems to be interested in taking pictures of pokemon, he seems a little more friendly then previous rivals when first meeting them. I think Trip see's Ash as an annoying pest, and has some sort of superiority complex or at least when he is around Ash.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well, actually I agree, somewhat anyway... I see him as more of a toned down version of Paul, with the attributes of Gary annoying Ash. I haven't seen a single scene with Trip being friendly if you ask me so I don't know where people are getting that from. He still has that arrogant sense with Ash that Paul had. Though, I have noticed that Trip does obviously care for him Pokémon.

I wouldn't say he was exactly a copy, but honestly - he ain't nothing new.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Maybe people complained about how the rivals weren't so rude and nice and changed it up a bit. I actually like both Trip and Paul because of it, to me they make better rivals than any other of Ash's characters.

:t354:TG

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I think Trip see's Ash as an annoying pest, and has some sort of superiority complex or at least when he is around Ash.

Wasn't that Paul, too? @~@

Gary was antagonistic too, but his personality was way different from Paul's.

I think I remember before BW came out that one of the staff member's commented that Trip was a lot like Paul.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2011
    The difference between the two is really delicate. Their difference comes mostly in their drive. We don't know a lot about Trip except for one flashback and a few character quirks. Paul was driven by the humiliation he saw his brother face after numerous defeats to Brandon. He had an inferiority complex and a chip on his shoulder. He strove to prove that he was better than his brother and to ultimately remove his shame.

Trip's only flashback so far showed that his drive is more one of entitlement than shame. He feels as though he's destined to be a great pokemon master and his actions show it. For example, he takes pictures as if to document his own rise to fame.

I see Trip as more of a Gary than a Paul.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
    To be honest Paul owns trip. Trip just keeps yapping on about how stupid ash must be because he's from kanto "boonies" Whatever the hck that means. Seriously... Boonies? Made me ROFL in my mind first time I heard it.

Paul has better design and his badass "You're pathetic" lines make him awesome.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    To be honest Paul owns trip. Trip just keeps yapping on about how stupid ash must be because he's from kanto "boonies" Whatever the hck that means. Seriously... Boonies? Made me ROFL in my mind first time I heard it.

Paul has better design and his badass "You're pathetic" lines make him awesome.
    The truth is Trip owns loser Paul.I like Trip talking about Ash being stupid because of him being from Kanto,the word "boonies" is kinda funny when Trip say it.

Trip have a much better design then Paul and Trip is a badass when saying boonies makes him awesome.Paul saying pathetic doesn't make him awesome at all.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    When I read the title I was like 'huh' Paul's back?

Deceiving mustards :)

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I'm gonna bring this up, maybe Paul will come back, cause the one who left Tepig at that pole looks like Paul.

I kinda like Paul more than Trip, but as usual we will see Trip change as the series progresses into a character that has massive respect for Ash yada yada yada.

Paul Owns anyways.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I don't even think they would be that go there again with Paul abandoning Tepig(then again this would be the third fire type they have done this too). I know you said "looks like" but if they did show the person which I don't think they need to do, I highly doubt it would be Paul. If anything it's just some random guy like Damion Tepig gets closure against it's former trainer. Massive respect? I dunno about that, maybe minimum respect for him as a trainer and him acting less superior toward him. Or just him not shrugging him off and acting like he isn't there.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    I'm gonna bring this up, maybe Paul will come back, cause the one who left Tepig at that pole looks like Paul.

I kinda like Paul more than Trip, but as usual we will see Trip change as the series progresses into a character that has massive respect for Ash yada yada yada.

Paul Owns anyways.
    Paul don't deserve to ever come back,Paul didn't leave Tepig it was another trainer that did it.

I kinda in away like Trip more then loser Paul,Trip is a great rival and he will get to become even better as he progresses.

Trip Owns Paul anyday.

Paul will never come back. He did have nothing to do with Tepig being abandon and the trainer who abandon Tepig don't look nothing like Paul at all,the trainer is more like Damion back in Kanto who abandon Charmander.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    I don't think they'll throw Paul in again. The abandoned-and-eventually-caught-by-Ash Fire-starter formula has been here for a long time (Torchic is an exception because May took it), and they're just using that boring plot device again.

Anyway, back to the main question. : D

Despite the appearance (esp. hair) explicitly screaming Paul, I think Trip screams Gary instead with his character. Paul was just plain cruel to (almost?) everyone - and frankly I don't like his character, although his rivalry with Ash was pretty amazing. Trip, on the other hand, didn't have much conflicts against other people except Ash, was always one step before Ash, and either owned or tied with Ash. Gee, where have we seen this before? (The only difference being that he cares about his Pokemon. Gary was all strength and crap.)

Basically, they just reused the formula with Gary and Ash, but then, in my opinion, I don't think this rivalry works AT ALL. Trip is a beginner trainer, and Ash had already gone through so much throughout the series. Our first rivalry with Gary and Ash worked because they were new trainers, and Paul and Ash were on equal grounds. Ash should be owning this sucker, not the other way around. :C

tl;dr
    Appearance-wise: Trip = Paul;
    Character-wise: Trip = sort-of Gary (before he became less of a jerk xD);
    Rivalry-wise: Trip VS Ash = Gary VS Ash

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2011
    +
    =

d4rkpnio

Blaziken Trainer
    Years
    Yep, they seem quite similar to me as well. I wish Ash's main rival was a girl to make a change.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    I actually love the fact they're so similar. It makes things.. INTRESTING.

(Trip for Paul's long lost cousion, anyone?)

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I'm pretty sure Trip was created when Paul fell into a blender with a camera
    They probably hope Trip will be as popular as his predecessor.

Back