• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I wish Ash would've kept Lapras.

Years
  • I understand Lapras was just a plot device to get them from point A to point B but Lapras is really cool and I was sad when Ash let him go.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    Yeah -- of all the pokemon Ash released, Lapras had the most engaging personality. Pidgeot we barely knew since he was mainly used to scout, Butterfree got an emotional episode, but really only in the one he was released, Primeape Ash barely connected with at all, etc. I could go on, but I won't :P.

Lapras was cool because it was very sweet, and while it had a peaceful nature, it really did try hard the few times Ash actually used it. It was also a baby, so instead of being conditioned to never want to battle like the rest of its pack, it ended up being pretty tough. And didn't it eventually become the new leader? Yeah, Ash definitely should've kept it. It was so hesitant to leave him that I'm sure it would've stayed.

But then again, there is the plot device thing. None of the episodes where Ash and pals almost miss the ferry would've happened if Lapras were there. So I guess it was more convenient for the writers to let it go, so they could drag on certain plot arcs more :P.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    It would off been a strong Pokemon and good for the future.
    Considering the fact that Ash leaves behind all of his Pokemon except Pikachu when traveling to a new region, it wouldn't have been much of use as it would be somewhere in Oak's laboratory. But maybe Ash would have been able to call it for League battles. :\

Marowak10

Skull Wearer
    Years
  • Considering the fact that Ash leaves behind all of his Pokemon except Pikachu when traveling to a new region, it wouldn't have been much of use as it would be somewhere in Oak's laboratory. But maybe Ash would have been able to call it for League battles. :\
    Yeah, like he did with Charizard that one episode when he had to fight the guy with Arcticuno.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Yeah, like he did with Charizard that one episode when he had to fight the guy with Arcticuno.
    Ash also called upon Charizard before battling Brandon for the third time.

Anyway, I'd like to see Ash's Lapras make another appearance, though it may be unlikely right now (it may be possible for it to appear after the Isshu League).

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    Anyway, I'd like to see Ash's Lapras make another appearance, though it may be unlikely right now (it may be possible for it to appear after the Isshu League).
    Yeah, I don't think Lapras would make an appearance because hasn't really met any of the Pokemon he released like Butterfree or Pidgoet.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I do agree, I loved Lapras! But either way it should be suck in professor oak's lab never to be seen much again! It did get an episode in johto which was cool though!~

GlalieX

Ruler of Illusion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2012
    Meh. It wasn't particularly strong and was just a friend to him more than anything. I don't care that it's gone.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I loved Lapras; it was always gentle and serene. It could've been useful for Ash during the Battle Frontier. We would probably never see Lapras again, however. The writers are just so used to cutting out Pokemons.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Lapras represented the Orange Islands to me and... leaving Lapras was like leaving the Orange Islands, pretending they never happened (since I don't really consider anything else representative of the Orange Islands), unlike in the other important areas in-game, which had games about them, had Pokemon representing them that make appearances in Ash's party sometimes.

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Lapras was a cool pokemon, didn't Jenny say Ash couldn't catch it though? He was just bringing Lapras back to its family cuz it was lost and seperated from his family.

Jabberwocky

A man ain't nothin' but a man
    Years
  • It was pretty clear that Ash was only going to keep Lapras for the Orange Islands. It would've been nice if Lapras had stayed with Ash, but I was satisfied by what eventually happened.

At least Lapras actually appeared again. That's more than Primeape, Butterfree, Pidgeot, and Ambipom can say.

Back