• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen If Black and White were released on the Game Boy...

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
  • I think the whole point of Black/White is that it is a new starting point for Pokemon. Because of this, I think Black and White on the Gameboy would have been excellent. The graphics and music wouldn't be anywhere near as good, but that is one of the things I love about the old games.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I'm not sure If I would enjoy it as much. I like the human features more than the Digimon looking characters.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Maybe I'll end up remembering them most fondly after all these years... I really like this generation. Even more than the past generation. Even Generation I.

On the other hand, the Pokémon graphics in the games... Well, I think I'm going to have a nightmare on this part if the R/G/B-era bad art also comes along!

As long as the gameplay is still like what it is now, I think I'm going to enjoy it. After all, it's Pokémon...

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I was already 14 years old when r/b/y came out :haha:
    I still think I would play it I still lvoe rby I just bought a yellow version on ebay as I lost my old blue somewhere during the 10 years I had it (I bought it only when I was 15 though)

Lirael

Qui Tacet Consentire
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 17, 2012
    I'd like to think i would still enjoy them. I think with earlier games there wasn't much to do besides following the story and completing the pokedex, whereas in games now there's so much to do, if you don't enjoy one thing e.g breeding, you can do something else e.g GTS trades etc. Which I believe is why so much heat was on a good storyline originally.

Personally though, Pearl is my favourite game but it would need to retain its modern features. :)

Years
  • Ignoring all the things that make the DS better than the Gameboy, B&W would still be a lot better than the original Gen I games. They learned a lot over the years and fixed a lot of problems to make the games more balanced so that alone would mean that the pokemon franchise would get off to an even better start and probably keep getting better.

I know I'd play B&W if it were only Gameboy quality. I played the originals and recently brought out my old copy of Blue to play again so graphics and things like that don't matter as much to me as whether the game is fun or not. I wouldn't get that extra nostalgic vibe from seeing how similar these pokemon are to previous ones since there wouldn't be any previous ones, but I think I'd still be pleased with the designs and ideas.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I would absolutely love it to have been the first games on the game boy, for the pure fact that people wearing 'nolstalga googles' wouldn't moan about a trash and a ice cream pokemon.

daf

Years
  • Not really sure...I think it would have been too confusing for me at that age, and would have given it up. Im not saying I wouldnt have been able to read or understand it, at that age I had the reading ability of a 5th grader, both in understanding and speed. But it would have gotten annoying and way too complex for a game in that age. Look at that one guys thing of tetris, that game is so simplistic yet it does have an underlying complexity. Exactly the same for R/B/Y and G/S/C, but for B/W and the age Pokemon was centered around, at that time it would be super complex.

QFT. I feel like many of us that were that age when RBY came out would not have sustained interest in the game, or the even the franchise in general. I think that the features and graphics and Pokemon, in addition to the game play, are not only the logical step in the series' evolution, but completely integral to the enjoyment of the title.

rstevenson1976

The Eevee-Loution Master
    Years
  • I'd like to think i would still enjoy them. I think with earlier games there wasn't much to do besides following the story and completing the pokedex, whereas in games now there's so much to do, if you don't enjoy one thing e.g breeding, you can do something else e.g GTS trades etc. Which I believe is why so much heat was on a good storyline originally.

Personally though, Pearl is my favourite game but it would need to retain its modern features. :)

no gts on the gameboy, just one on one trades and battles with the game-link cable, maybe 2 on 2 with the adapter

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I would enjoy them, if only for the fact that there'd be justification for how short they are.
    That actually makes a lot of sense, since the region itself seems limited in size compared to other ones, so it would logically be a great starting point.

I think the whole point of Black/White is that it is a new starting point for Pokemon. Because of this, I think Black and White on the Gameboy would have been excellent. The graphics and music wouldn't be anywhere near as good, but that is one of the things I love about the old games.
    Oh yeah, how did I miss it's the starting point. XD One thing though, I don't know how it'd connect with future regions - in fact, the other regions may not exist until generation 6 and beyond actually, because randomly dropping Unova in the middle of nowhere and dropping Johto in Kanto just seems to not be logical. And if that were true, the other following regions would have had different native Pokemon too, so all our favourites still may not even exist!

I think the Pokemon franchise would be just as popular or maybe just a bit more. I just wonder what the replacement for Pikachu would be. I don't feel as Emolga would cut it as the franchise mascot.
    the mascot doesn't necessarily have to be electric, could be axew, or watch it be audino X)
    I never actually considered what the new mascot would be. I'd assume it'd be one of the more known ones. I'd actually think it'd be Minccino - it was in the first group other than the starters when the games were announced, so I think it'd suit, and for B/W's "third game" it'd then be Minccino as the title Pokemon. XD
    Hey guys, I just bought Pokemon Red and Blue Versions (the new games that came out last week) and what the freak is up with the new Pokemon? A rock with arms? A magnet that evolves into three magnets? A bird that grows a head when it evolves? A pile of sludge? A literal Pokeball with a face? What is Jynx supposed to be? And really GameFreak, a mime? Is that the best you can do? I remember when the Pokemon looked good in first gen Black and White. These suck! Bring back the old ones.

It would be this instead of that.

XD!

Darthrai

Dragon Tamer
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2016
    the mascot doesn't necessarily have to be electric, could be axew, or watch it be audino X)

Yeah, if Gen 5 was the first gen created, Axew would probably be the mascot - like Pikachu, it's cute, plus it would appeal a bit more to boys because it's a dragon and its final evolution is much, much more badass than Raichu. (Honestly, Charmander would have been a much more tolerable mascot than Pikachu in the first place...)

Likewise, Samurott would probably take Charizard's place as the most popular/iconic starter, and Zekrom replacing Mewtwo as the most iconic legendary. Also, the franchise would have a bit less of a "kiddie" vibe overall due to the older player characters and more intricate plot.

Anyway, since I couldn't play video games back when R/B/Y and G/S/C came out, I wouldn't have enjoyed them, but I'd probably be introduced to the franchise through the anime (which would probably have been better made and would have followed the games more closely) and then, a few years later, enjoyed whatever White remake they'd have on the GBA, spazzing over my new Oshawott the same way I spazzed over my new Bulbasaur when I started LeafGreen (my first, late introduction to the Pokemon game series).

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • If the generations were released in reverse order (BW, DP, RS, GS, RB) with BW and DP remakes after RS and GS respectively, who knows what would happen? Obviously, RB would include Johto rather than GS including Kanto, and the Mt. Silver boss would be someone other than Red... if the series got that far.

Assuming that Pokémon would be introduced in the same region as their most recent evolution was introduced IRL, and the Regi trio would be introduced in DP due to Regigigas, DP would bring the total number of Pokémon well over the limit of 256 that the Game Boy Color would likely be able to handle. The increased number of Pokémon would result in different coding to handle this, which may have affected gameplay (though only having one region would cut the ROM size back to ~4MB.) RS would be done as normal, GS would introduce the GTS and draw complaints about Raichu being a better Pachirisu, and RB would be the equivalent of real-life BW (with Mew possibly being on Morimoto's team at Celadon Mansion if it was revealed pre-release, assuming Morimoto would still create Mew in this alternate universe.)

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
    Years
  • If Black and White were released on the Game Boy...
    Then the color would be in Black and White. ^o^
    No? Nothing? I'll show myself out. x3

I would still certainly find B&W quite enjoyable. The game graphics, or lack thereof, wouldn't bother me the slightest. It didn't bothered me when I played Red, so it wouldn't bothered me playing B/W. Aesthetics isn't as important than actual gameplay. You can have a game look really good, but if it sucks, then it will suck. But I game that looks bad is great, then you have yourself a great game. That's why I think I'd still enjoy B/W, even without the nice graphics. Same could be said with the features. DW and the rest are all nice features, but they're just extra additions to the game that enhance the gameplay. Subtracting them from the games wouldn't make the actual game itself any less enjoyable to play.^^

Years
  • I think having these games would produce a number of events to follow. Firstly, I think having a city as large as Castelia, in such primitive games, would actually be quite cool. The tilework used for objects such as the gyms, the trains and the Pokemon league would probably also look exceptional for the time. This is all great, but the one negative effect of this, would be that fans would have higher expectations of future games, considering how grandiose B/W would have been for the time. The Unova Pokemon would have also looked great as the 156 and would probably be regarded as "classic" today, if B/W was actually released for the Game Boy.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I would enjoy them, after all I still enjoy some of my old not so graphically good looking games, plus BW, DP, RS, GS, and RG/B would all interest me no matter what order they came out ^_^
    I kind of what to see one make a hack version for the Game boy thanks to this thread just to see how it would look...

The Nightmare

"I fight for what I belive in"
    Years
  • I would enjoy it but some of the cool stuff like customizing your game and having c-gear would kinda be a bit boring and the sound would be bad because the gameboy was made ages ago.

Back