• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen If Lucario isn't a legendary, why was such a big deal made out of him?

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    Let me please announce one more theory of this possible reason why Lucario is a big deal.

Simple.

You know how Celebi, Latias, and Latios were sort of a prologue to Hoenn, Johto, and so on? I believe that Lucario was shown as a movie as sort of a precursor to Shin'ou, or the beginning to the climax of Hoenn and the start of Shin'ou.

Simply put, it was just there as an advertisement.

From,
    ~TheRoad

True, true, I forgot about that. Oh and you missed out Entei for the 3rd movie.
    But then again the question of legendary comes into play from the people before. Celebi and the Latis are all Legendaries remember? And Lucario isnt.

..:i n n e r_宇 宙:..

This is called 'YOU SUCK'
    Years
    But then again the question of legendary comes into play from the people before. Celebi and the Latis are all Legendaries remember? And Lucario isnt.

Since when did it matter? Legendaries, I mean.

And I didn't miss out Entei, those were just examples.

I think I responded before that you don't need legendaries to be the star of the show. I mean, look, at Pokemon Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, there is Mew, which people have forgotten to mention (because they are all focused on Lucario) and the Regis. Well, besides Regigigas.

And if you are talking about the titles of the movie, they just started doing that on the sixth movie, wasn't it? So Latias, Latios, Entei, etc. were not in the title. (Unless you count the Japanese movies, then yeah, I think the Pokemon were in the title)

I think that Lucario was going to be a legendary, or something, but they scrapped that idea...

After all, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and Pokemon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew hinted at Lucario being a legendary.

And I'll give the example of why you don't need legendaries in a Pokemon movie.

Pokemon M* (M=Movie, *=number)

Pokemon M1: Mew, Mewtwo, and maybe others, but I don't really have the cassette anymore...

Pokemon M2: Lugia, Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos, and maybe others, yet again.

Pokemon M3: Actually, none (since Entei, technically was created by the Unowns and is not the real deal, or that's what I was led to believe, and no, the Unowns are not legendaries, no matter what the movie says otherwise)

Pokemon M4: Celebi, Suicune.

Pokemon M5: Latias, Latios.

Pokemon M6: Jirachi (fake Groudon, created by ^*^#3! (the name is covered so as to try to keep this spoiler-free)

Pokemon M7: Deoxys, Rayquaza

POKEMON: M8: Mew, Regice, Registeel, Regirock.

So, while some Pokemon were legendaries and in the movie, Lucario does not have to be a legendary to be a main character.

Hopefully this clears a little more of the mystery.

From,
    ~TheRoad

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    Let's try to stay on topic and the answer because it's Ash's favorite pokemon.

Don't mini-mod. That is spam, you are encouraging the offtopicness. This is NOT about Pikachu; the analogy was ontopic, but answering it was not. :/ It is meant for discussion of the overblownness of Lucario.

I agree with the idea it was an advertisement; Lucario was one of the first Shinou Pokémon revealed, ne? :] I mean, and look at Chansey & Blissey -- aren't they only the ones that can use Softboiled? I think... o_O; Heh. xDDD

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2008
    No idea. Most of the movies are based on legendaries, so we just assumed that Lucario was a legendary..apparently now that's not the case.

Years
    Well Lucario really looks cool, And If he was a legendary, then it would have been too redundant, what with most of the other movies starring a legendary or two, and couldn't Chansey's baby form use Softboiled?

Sky_Ace

A life dedicated to animals.
    Years
    It's a good thing if Lucario isn't a legendary anyways. That means you can use him in Nintendo tournaments.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    Since when did it matter? Legendaries, I mean.
    Did I ever say it mattered? I'm just saying that what you the other people's question would work against your answer. If you look at my post before the you would see that I said it didnt matter if Lucario was a legendary or not.
    I think I responded before that you don't need legendaries to be the star of the show. I mean, look, at Pokemon Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, there is Mew, which people have forgotten to mention (because they are all focused on Lucario) and the Regis. Well, besides Regigigas.
    Similar to what I said
    Lucario does have a big role. He is the one who the story is based around. It doesn't matter if his name is in the title, MEW was also in the title. MEW was the legendary in the movie along with the Regis.
    There was no real big fuss made over Lucario, he was just in the movie as one of the main characters.
    And I'll give the example of why you don't need legendaries in a Pokemon movie.

Pokemon M* (M=Movie, *=number)

Pokemon M1: Mew, Mewtwo, and maybe others, but I don't really have the cassette anymore...

Pokemon M2: Lugia, Moltres, Articuno, Zapdos, and maybe others, yet again.

Pokemon M3: Actually, none (since Entei, technically was created by the Unowns and is not the real deal, or that's what I was led to believe, and no, the Unowns are not legendaries, no matter what the movie says otherwise)

Pokemon M4: Celebi, Suicune.

Pokemon M5: Latias, Latios.

Pokemon M6: Jirachi (fake Groudon, created by ^*^#3! (the name is covered so as to try to keep this spoiler-free)

Pokemon M7: Deoxys, Rayquaza

POKEMON: M8: Mew, Regice, Registeel, Regirock.
    From,
    ~TheRoad

Same can be said about the 9th movie I believe but I'm not 100% certain. Is Manaphy a legendary? If not then there is another example pretty much.
    Pokemon: M9: Kyogre only (unless Manaphy is also legendary which I'm unsure of)

..:i n n e r_宇 宙:..

This is called 'YOU SUCK'
    Years
    Wah hah.

Sorry if I sounded like I offended you or anything, I didn't mean anything by it.

So, back on topic now, (hopefully, as I seem to have a tendency for off-topicness) 'tis true you don't need a legendary for a movie, but maybe he was more of an hard-to-get Pokemon, as well. Seeing of course, that you can get a Rioru egg in this island after you beat the 6th Gym Leader (or so IGN tells me...), and I don't know if Rioru's are rare.

And since you were talking about it...

POKEMON M9: (Manafi/Manaphy, is a legendary, otherwise it wouldn't be a pain in the neck to get, such as getting it from Ranger, you have to see it from the 9th movie, then, you have to trade it into Diamond, get the picture?) Manaphy, Kyogre, from what Serebii's site tells me.

Well, signing off, as I'm too tired. It's 3:14 AM in my time. I should really be prepping for school.

From,
    ~TheRoad

PS: Alex, by the way, didn't you contradict your earlier post, by saying that Lucario isn't a legendary Pokemon, even when before, you said that it didn't matter?

Pikachu doesnt have to be legendary to be famous. It is Ash's first Pokemon as said by Razmazter and it was the most widely publicised Pokemon because they felt like using Pikachu as a image to help Pokemon gain publicity.

I'm not sure about this but, wasn't Munchlax made before Lucario??

and the contradictment, which is :

Blastoise

Der Lufthausen
    Years
    So do our posts answer your question Blastoise?
    It wasn't a question so much as a subtle attempt at proving a point that seems to have been lost on everyone. So in that light, allow me to elaborate:

Pikachu and Jigglypuff, among many others, are Pokemon that have been given publicity, even if they aren't legendary or special in really any way in the games. And yet, they became famous; why? Because, simply put, the Pokemon Company saw them to be fit as "spokesPokemon" for the series. They had some unique element to them that would help to increase appeal, as another person said; the same thing has continued on through the other generations, though the focus has been more on legendary Pokemon. I see this as a simple step back to using non-legendary, yet appealing Pokemon to help promote the series and win over new fans or to perhaps win old fans back, that missed the days when legendaries weren't such a huge damn deal.

While my post was a basic elaboration on the posts that attempted to explain to me something that I already knew (preaching to the choir somewhat, but I suppose that's not my fault for elaborating/being more specific in the first place, but I was tired at the time so nyeh) but it does seem to sum it up nicely. I'll leave it at that.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    PS: Alex, by the way, didn't you contradict your earlier post, by saying that Lucario isn't a legendary Pokemon, even when before, you said that it didn't matter?
    and the contradictment, which is :

No I was simply stating what the others before had asked in my second post.

ArmchairRomeo

Aura Master
    Years
    fake Groudon, created by ^*^#3!

Not quite fake, it was revived from a fossil, but...

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2012
    Because they wanted to and don't forget the movie also starred mew the regie's and bonsly, munchlax, mime jr. and weavile

yes but the movie is LUCARIO and the mistery of MEW , (not yelling or attacking at u )

i guess because everyone would like him

Typhoon XV

Servant of Khaine
    Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2014
    Lucario had a big deal made out for him because he was badass. Enough said. :D

PochamaPLUS

"PochamaPLUS approves!"
    Years
    Well, ever since I found out Lucario had a pre-evo, and its Dex position, I always wonder why such a big deal was made out of him, this means like getting his very own movie, if he's just a normal Fight/Steel type in the middle of the Pokedex. Your thoughts.

B to the I to the PPA yo!

Well, Unown's aren't legendary and THEY have their own movie (#3)...so why can't Lucario have a movie? Huh? Oh, and he gets his own movie because he's haxx! ^_^

«P+»

Back