• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If Munna's sprite floats, why is its ability not levitate?

Years
    I hate the line because they get shoved in my face alot. That's all lol. I hate that they are so perfect yet Gothitelle get's treated like she's Magikarp.

That's why I listed all of those abilities. Physical moves are widely like. And Moxie is on of my favorite abilities.

Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2011
    Not in B/W but Magnezone should have levitate! He's a UFO! Plus that would negate his 4x weakness to ground and make him an absolute boss.

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I don't get Raquaza's Air lock ability, There are still weather effects when Raquaza's out. Why is that?

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
    I don't get Raquaza's Air lock ability, There are still weather effects when Raquaza's out. Why is that?

The Air lock negates the weather's effects, the visual remains though. Hail and sandstorm deal no damage, and rain doesn't decrease fire damage dealt etc.

Levitate is more along the lines of "continuous flight with little to no effort", magnimite must actually choose to float, while pokemon like gastly just naturally float around. Which is why magnimite has magnet rise, but not levitate, since when magnimite is defeated, it falls down.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Cause you guys are basically discussing the levitate ability in general now, and also discussing the abilities of past-gen Pokemon too, I think it's time this thread says goodbye to Black and White and hello to Pokemon Gaming Central where you're free to discuss crazy abilities (as well as levitate) in general and not specific to B/W. :D

maybe next time a less thought provoking title would work?

Flashmeteor

Awkward silences are the best.
    Years
    Bidoof should have the ability Derp. Every move is 1HKO.

I hate the starters "in a pinch" themed abilities. C'mon there are better abilities for starters aren't there?

Years
    Kinda off-topic with pokemon actually HAVING the abilities, but wouldn't it be cool if there were an Ability Tutor like the Move Tutor? The payment would be much more rare (maybe 3-5 "Purchasing Items" in the entire game without doing special things with Events/Lvl100 Pickup (maybe on Pickup and it would be EXTREMELY RARE and only would be picked up by a Lvl100)), but you could pick from a list of 10 or so abilities that fit the pokemon (that doesn't mean you can have an Uber Gothitelle! It has to fit by near unanimous decision in feedback to Nintendo).

Back on topic (since I need to contribute SOMETHING), Why is Wobbufet the only pokemon to get Shadow Tag (I don't really mess with DW Abilities. I know that Gothita and Litwick families can get it, but I've never really run into a GenV pokemon in DW). He's completely useless unless you KNOW which kind of attack the opponent is going to use (the only way to guarantee it is an EncoreFet). It would be more fitting on a something like Gengar. It is said to take the shadows of people, so why can't it take a Pokemon's shadow to block it from leaving the battle (I'm really not sure how Shadow Tag is supposed to work, but that's how I imagine it is done :P )?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    Kinda off-topic with pokemon actually HAVING the abilities, but wouldn't it be cool if there were an Ability Tutor like the Move Tutor? The payment would be much more rare (maybe 3-5 "Purchasing Items" in the entire game without doing special things with Events/Lvl100 Pickup (maybe on Pickup and it would be EXTREMELY RARE and only would be picked up by a Lvl100)), but you could pick from a list of 10 or so abilities that fit the pokemon (that doesn't mean you can have an Uber Gothitelle! It has to fit by near unanimous decision in feedback to Nintendo).

Back on topic (since I need to contribute SOMETHING), Why is Wobbufet the only pokemon to get Shadow Tag (I don't really mess with DW Abilities. I know that Gothita and Litwick families can get it, but I've never really run into a GenV pokemon in DW). He's completely useless unless you KNOW which kind of attack the opponent is going to use (the only way to guarantee it is an EncoreFet). It would be more fitting on a something like Gengar. It is said to take the shadows of people, so why can't it take a Pokemon's shadow to block it from leaving the battle (I'm really not sure how Shadow Tag is supposed to work, but that's how I imagine it is done :P )?

What Shadow Tag does is the user steps on the foe's shadow and prevents them from moving. It's a common Japanese thing, like shadow stitching lol

It does seem like a nice Gengar ability, and something that would make CurseGar actually worth using .-. However, PowerCreep decided to make Gengar have ridiculous amount of SpATK + SPE, so it's unlikely to ever happen.

Years
    but you could pick from a list of 10 or so abilities that fit the pokemon (that doesn't mean you can have an Uber Gothitelle! It has to fit by near unanimous decision in feedback to Nintendo)

So I'd have to pick ablities that make it a peice of crap while perfectionsts get to have the awesome ablities?

Do I want my favorite to be downgraded? No. Moxie it is.

Years

So I'd have to pick ablities that make it a peice of crap while perfectionsts get to have the awesome ablities?

Do I want my favorite to be downgraded? No. Moxie it is.

I didn't say you'd have PoS Gothitelle! I just said you can't pick things that don't fit. I have White (I didn't use Reuniclus>Gothitelle to decide. I just like Zekrom), so I haven't messed much with Gothitelle. Personally, I'd run it more as a Special Attacker, but looking through its movepool, I guess it COULD be useful with Moxie as a Physical Attacker.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    I didn't say you'd have PoS Gothitelle! I just said you can't pick things that don't fit. I have White (I didn't use Reuniclus>Gothitelle to decide. I just like Zekrom), so I haven't messed much with Gothitelle. Personally, I'd run it more as a Special Attacker, but looking through its movepool, I guess it COULD be useful with Moxie as a Physical Attacker.

Dude, Togepi has Hustle, and it too is more of a special attacker. I find Hustle a useless ability for it, but it still has it.

Plus, just look at Gothitelle. Her look just screams Moxie for an ability.

Uh... not sure what pokemon I know of that should have a certain ability, but I can promise you that if I thought for more than five seconds, I could come up with something...

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years

Dude, Togepi has Hustle, and it too is more of a special attacker. I find Hustle a useless ability for it, but it still has it.

Plus, just look at Gothitelle. Her look just screams Moxie for an ability.

Uh... not sure what pokemon I know of that should have a certain ability, but I can promise you that if I thought for more than five seconds, I could come up with something...

Hustle is usually for reckless or clumsy Pokemon (or blind ones like Deino). I think Togepi has it just because of the accuracy decrease, not the power boost. After all, Pokemon abilities also have to match the actual Pokemon, not just their roles in-game!

Oh, but I also wouldn't call Togepi and attacker of any sort though. It learns two attacking moves by level-up and like 14 or some ridiculously high number of status moves.

Years
    Another Status Pokemon with a bad ability is Audino. Why does it have Klutz?!? I mean, it's only job is to help other pokemon. It learns all of 6 moves that do damage leveling up. That automatically classifies it as a Helper Pokemon. As a Helper, shouldn't it know what it's doing enough to not be a Klutz?

Years
    I just noticed something... Staryu and Starmie don't have the Regenerate ability, despite that Starfish can grow their entire bodies back from small parts.

feralig8rx

PokeFanatic
    Years
    When you use Earthquake, you don't just shake the earth. That won't damage anything.

What you do is you TEAR THE GROUND ASUNDER AND CAUSE TECTONIC PLATES TO RISE UP INTO THE AIR AND EXPLODE INTO DEATH-INFLICTING SHRAPNEL. That's why it can hit floating Pokemon. Pokemon with Levitate can float higher. ^^

Bahhhhaahhahaah. Win.

I hate it though, because I see a floating sprite and think, "Well, guess I can't use earthquake. /sigh" but it turns out that I can and after spending some time thinking about it I realize and then nerdrage >.<

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    ooh, that's a very good question. I've wondered that when i was playing white, and it really makes no sense. :\

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    Doesn't Mangezone has this electromagnetic move that makes it levitate?

Isn't "Mange-zone" a disease that filthy animals, especially dogs, get in their fur? Anyways, I think that the starters should have gotten different abilities than the standard-issue powerup abilities. Guts would have been phenominal for Emboar, Battle Armor would have made sense for Samurott, and Limber would have been appropriate for Serperior. Although those aren't exactly the best abilities, they would bring some much-needed change to the series.

Plus Moxie is awesome. Treat Gothitelle right this time and give her Moxie or guts

Moxie is an ability for fighters and dark/monstrous Pokemon with top-notch Physical Attack. I'm not sure that Gothitelle is a Fighter, with it's Attack so bad that Rattata outclasses that stat, and it's DEFINITELY not a monstrous Pokemon. However, this ability would work if it had stats that were the opposite as they currently are, and it were a Dark/Psychic type. Maybe then it would actually be viable in competitive play. Plus Moxie raises Physical Attack, which I already mentioned that Gothitelle is inept at. Guts is also an ability for fighters. Gothitelle is, as I've said, not a fighter at all, nor does it look like one. And as for you calling Chandelure a "Perfectionist" like you do all good Pokemon, go ahead and don't use them. I suppose Haxorus and Excadrill are perfectionists for their high attack, and that Steelix and Tentacruel are perfectionists for their great walling abilities too?

First 3 Pokemon you listed should never have Levitate. That's Wondertomb also waiting to happen.

So Reuniclus would be better and overpowered with LEVITATE?!?!? An immunity to ground isn't nearly as good as Magic Guard's protection from all non-attacking damage! In fact, Levitate would make Reuniclus much worse! But I suppose that's what you want. I suppose you want Reuniclus to be an inferior Gothitelle, instead of the other way around. Plus, Reuniclus isn't a "Green Jelly Bear", it's a cell (it's even the Multiplying Pokemon, which evolves from the Mitosis Pokemon, which evolves from the Cell Pokemon. No "Jelly Bear" Pokemon species) and you would know that if you actually read it's Pokedex entry, or that of any of it's pre-evos. Anyway, I liked Reuniclus better when I saw the two because of it's appearance; I had actually wanted a cell Pokemon for some time and Gamefreak pulled the concept off well. It's appearance was a major factor in my decision to buy White. After using it, I liked it for it's cool and interesting appearance and it's amazing stats and ability. Plus, I use it right.

As for the Eelektross dispute, I like the Levitate ability. It makes it much better and it's now my favorite Electric-type for it's ability and tanking abilities.

Last edited:
    Back