• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen If you are given your starter by a professor

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
    Well, here's my two cents. Pokemon, in a way, is a lot like Legend of Zelda, in that they both follow a very distinct formula in the construction of their games. Pokemon has all its little similarities such as fire/grass/water starters, professors, rival, eight gyms, elite four etc. etc. And you can't say they haven't changed the formula at all in recent generations, considering we've had a co-trainer or helper-rival ever since R/S/E (Well... we were more helpers to Wally but w/e)
    Zelda has been the same way. World is endangered, travel to several temples in order to gain some sort of collectible ancient item of some sorts, get master sword, kick boss's butts, beat final mega boss, the end. In fact, some of the same areas and temples are recycled throughout every single game.
    However, one thing that has kept LoZ on its feet for so long with such minimal customer complaint is the changes of story and plot that pokemon can't really use because there isn't much of a story to begin with. I guess really what I mean to say is that LoZ has lots of twists and turns plot wise that are new for each game whereas Pokemon has a very straightforward storyline, which gets old after a while.
    However.
    If you've noticed, B/W has WAY more characters than what we usually see, and this leads me to believe we'll have more of plot. Because, well, if you have a character you need a place to put him/her. So far, we have not one, but two professors (both females ftw) Two childhood friends, and two characters that haven't been specified as of yet. (One many speculate to be your rival, who is Rilence's avatar, and one many think is the 'evil boss')
    Personally, I don't mind the way things are now, and would be kind of distraught if the formula would be to change too drastically. Because let's face it: it's not the pokemon that make a Pokemon GAME, it's the unique mechanics. However, if the pokemon games were to add a new spin on the things they add to that formula, (such as the sea-trekking of Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass or Train Conducting of Spirit Tracks) I would be utterly delighted. And honestly, I think that's exactly what Black and White has in store for us.

Little note: if Rilence's avatar does turn out to be the true rival, he probably won't have a starter. 3 childhood friends + 3 starters = left out green hair guy.

Littler Note: I think if you play through B/W trying your very hardest not to compare to previous generations, you may enjoy it a lot more.

Littlest Note: We somehow receive our starters as a wrapped gift.

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    umm..the video shows you opening some sort of present for your starter.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2011
    wasnt there a screenshot where you are choosing your starter out of a wrapped present?

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2017
    I've not seen that video, and if I have I was probably too distracted by all the happy jappy yelling in the background (assuming it was a Pokemon Sunday video :p)

From what I'm hearing it does sound like they've changed some things quite a bit. I like the parcel idea and wonder how you actually choose it :)

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    wasnt there a screenshot where you are choosing your starter out of a wrapped present?

could you please care to read my post directly above yours so you don't make an EXACT COPY of it?

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    In the one I made up (which I just made up on the spot) the only real similarity was the fact you find a bag with Pokémon in. (This is kind of vital, having an option between three because nobody would want two or less). There was no professor involved, and the little side-quest could have you go through a few wild battles, and the trainer you found could provide a little foreshadowing into a side quest later on in the game. This could be your reason for leaving town, rather than because the professor told you so.

As opposed to "You have to find the professor before you leave town/try to leave town and be interrupted by a professor. Then he will give you a choice of three Pokémon, take you back to the lab and give you the Pokédex and tell you to do one and go get badges"

Well no, someone sends you off to find the professor because he's not in the laboratory. You're not stopped by anyone the moment you leave town. Then you do go into the wilderness, albeit for a short period of time. Birch needs saving, so you do it with one of his Pokemon -- that's another similarity with your proposed idea.

Admittedly, though, your idea goes a bit further, expanding the idea in R/S/E into a full-on search-and-rescue. It would be interesting to see such a thing, though, to be honest, Pokemon games aren't especially known for their great storyline, nor "quests," if you may.

- - - - -

Furthermore, it would be cool to implement a sort of quest system in B/W or future games, not unlike other RPG games, like Final Fantasy or my beloved Etrian Odyssey, like they did in Mystery Dungeon : /

orange discontent

pogeymans?
    Years
    If I run into a wild encounter with a pokemon in the tall grass, I am going to kill someone. Same with a generic Pokemon "word" having new Pokémon (Red/Blue/Yellow was cool with the originals. Gold and Silver was a step too far. What next, Ruby and Sapphire? Diamond and Pearl?).

They really need to try a new format. Myself and quite a few people I know just never got into d/p because when we started it, it was like "oh, here we go again.".

They've followed the same format since the very first game. Why? I really hope it won't be like this for Black and White.

Same goes for making a "third" version. They are just pointless. HG/SS proves that you don't need a third version.

Sweet Visions

..is cool!
    Years
    Furthermore, it would be cool to implement a sort of quest system in B/W or future games, not unlike other RPG games, like Final Fantasy or my beloved Etrian Odyssey, like they did in Mystery Dungeon : /

Could you explain this, please? I never played any of those games and a quest feature in B/W sounds really, really interesting and could put a new spin on things.

franko94

Master Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2013
    Idk if anyone else noticed this but in HG/SS Lyra and your character had a bit of an immature love intrest thing (specifically the daycare incident comes to mind) so i dont think its too outlandish to expect your character to have a boyfriend or girlfriend in the game

And honestly if its the light v. darkness im expecting the 2 team system like in R/S but in the given situation the teams would be much eviler. Lets face it Team Galactic could have been much much eviler but Team Magma/Aqua were not evil just misunderstood

I'm seeing a very Kingdom Hearts-esq ending for the story for the evil team

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
    Years
    I don't see what the big deal is about how you get your starter, and in DP, Prof. Rowan doesn't actually give you a pokemon, you take it WITHOUT PERMISSION and he lets you keep it.

It's sad that I didn't remember that until you said it. XD

...Even though the main characters are older, I doubt they'd go from weather to space/time to LIFE AND DEATH or anything that drastic... The target age of Pokemon is for kids after all. ^^;;

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Idk if anyone else noticed this but in HG/SS Lyra and your character had a bit of an immature love intrest thing (specifically the daycare incident comes to mind) so i dont think its too outlandish to expect your character to have a boyfriend or girlfriend in the game

And honestly if its the light v. darkness im expecting the 2 team system like in R/S but in the given situation the teams would be much eviler. Lets face it Team Galactic could have been much much eviler but Team Magma/Aqua were not evil just misunderstood

I'm seeing a very Kingdom Hearts-esq ending for the story for the evil team
    Oh a KH's ending for the evil team would be awesome!
    Yeah I noticed the romance...i hope it's with the non-chosen character ;)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    To those saying Rowan didn't give you a Pokémon, I'm quite sure he does? He has his little speech about giving you a Pokémon then tells you to get one from his bag.
    I just started a game of Diamond today. What happens is Rowan and his assistant leave the lake shore. The professor's bag is left behind, the rival spots the bag and says that you should grab it and bring it back. Pretty much as you reach the bag, two wild Pokemon hop out and attack you. Standard first Pokemon use and offer to return, but Rowan says that the Pokemon is much happier with you.

As for the quest system, if I'm not messing it up with another RPG thing, it's where the player offers to find a particular item for a non-playable character. The item can be found anywhere in the game's world, and the "quest" to get the item can be rather difficult, but the reward the NPC gives you is well worth it.

I guess for an example, the quest to find Copycat's Pokedoll in G/S/C/HG/SS is a good one. She asks the player to find the doll, the player goes on a "quest" to find the doll, and the reward is pretty good.

There are other examples of quests for this system, but that's the main one I've seen.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
    I do not understand this part of your post. Do you desire a quest system that resembles the quests in mystery dungeon or not? o.o

Mystery Dungeon was a fun game to me, and it's one of those spin-offs that kept you going for at least a while because of the legendary Pokemon and recruiting and things of that nature. I don't know how this would play out if it was added to a mainstream Pokemon game, though...

Could you explain this, please? I never played any of those games and a quest feature in B/W sounds really, really interesting and could put a new spin on things.

Just a simple quest system with a few different quests you can accept to do at a Pokemon center or tavern type place found in most main towns. Some quest ideas are:

• Retrieving a certain item (probably not one sold in the shops). An idea is maybe someone wants a Berry that can only be retrieved in-game by Thiefing a certain Pokemon that lives in a remote area of the world... Or an item that can only be formed by combining different ingredient items, much like how Shell Bell was made in R/S/E.
    • Capturing a Pokemon for someone, like a beginner trainer, or a rare Pokemon collector.
    • Delivering items to people (could be implemented into already existing plot, like the Parcel in Gen 1), probably with some sort of stipulation, like no HM moves (no Flying :()
    • Capturing a specific Pokemon and bringing it to an area to trigger an event. Say someone really needs a Farfetch'd in order to cut lumber, like in Gen 2.
    • Find a Pokemon in the wild and take a picture of it.
    • Defeat a certain trainer. Could have extra challenges like using only certain Pokemon (like a quest to rebattle a Water-type Gym Leader with only Rock or Ground types).
    • Make it through a dungeon using only weak Pokemon and no items. Make it through a randomized dark cave without using the Flash TM.
    • Find a certain NPC that has run off or hidden somewhere remote.
    • Retrieve a certain number of eggs from the Day Care...

The possibilities are really endless. In addition, you could add cool stuff like time limits, other restrictions, etc. Then you could add a hefty reward on the harder quests and maybe a Poke Ball or two for the easiest ones. I dunno!

I know that a lot of things similar to this are already in the games, but what I'm asking for is a full-on quest roster option in the Start menu and stuff, with a Pub like in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and prerequisites, etc. It could also help lighten up some things which, imho, were kept a bit too secret, like the Regis and Mirage Island in R/S/E.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I don't see the problem w/ your starter being given to you by the professor. It's a pokemon tradition and in my opinion should be the thing that sticks w/ every generation. Now there could be new ways that you receive the pokemon, but other than that having professors give them to you isn't really a big deal.

W/ the legendaries, I'm assuming it's a nature vs. industrialization world? If it is then that would be pretty interesting and it definitely relates to the problems we face today (global warming, dwindling ecosystem, etc).

Back