• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you could change the English names of Pokèmon...

FlamingThunder

Years
    If you could change the English names of some Pokèmon, Items, Characters, Moves etc., what names would their new names be?

If I could rename them...
    1. Ho-Oh: Incenheur (from incendie, blaze in French and le bonheur, happiness in French)
    2. Misty: Regine (from regen, German for rain.)
    3. Erika: Rose (a type of flower)
    4. Mew: Cetre (from ancetere, French for ancestor.)
    5. Mewtwo: Cetretwo (look at mew.)

That's it for now, I'll add some more if I can think.
    How about you? If you could rename their names, what would you name them?

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I'm surprised that you would rename the above names, they are all carefully translated with Japanese origins
    Erika's Japanese name is indeed Erika

I don't see why you want to change it for your own selfish preference.

Chatot Lover

happy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2013
    I thought this was about the new Pokémon but I don't understand why you would want to change the ones you listed in your post^^ I love Ho-Oh's, Mew's and Mewtwo's name.

There's only one name that I'd want to change and that's Snivy into Smugleaf |D

MeerFall

Strong, Competitive, Cool!
    Years
    really if you don't always like the names just nickname them and if they evole go to the nickname man!

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
    I hate Audino too. It sounds like audio, which has nothing to do with it. Still, the name I hate the most is Oshawott. It sounds just so... ugly.

Snopes

Veteran Newblette
    Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    I would switch Freeze Heal to Anti-Freeze haha

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I'm surprised that you would rename the above names, they are all carefully translated with Japanese origins
    Erika's Japanese name is indeed Erika

I don't see why you want to change it for your own selfish preference.

I agree about how the original English names were fine, especially since they closely match the original intent. But your last sentence came off as kind of harsh... :/

I hate Audino too. It sounds like audio, which has nothing to do with it.

o_O Uh...but its species is the Hearing Pokemon... Also, it has these special abilities:

Audino have an incredible hearing ability and can use their ears like radars. The feelers on Audino's ears act like stethoscopes in that they can feel the beat of the opponent's heart. By listening to other Pokémon's heartbeats, Audino can assess their feelings and overall physical condition.
    Furthermore, these Pokedex entries reference its association with audio:

BLACK: It touches others with the feelers on its ears, using the sound of their heartbeats to tell how they are feeling.

WHITE: Its auditory sense is astounding. It has a radar-like ability to understand its surrounding through slight sounds.
    And finally, a possible origin of its Japanese name, Tabunne:
    Its name is also likely derived from 多聞 tabun, "Many are heard". Additionally, it could be taken from 耳たぶ mimitabu, the word for "earlobe."
    Audino is apparently Chansey's "Expy", so the stethoscope/auditory abilities make more sense...

---------

IStill, the name I hate the most is Oshawott. It sounds just so... ugly.

That, however, I agree with. Wotter was so much better.

Hmm...I'd rename Uxie to UXLE (originally, I thought the "I" was an "L", and Uxle sounds so much more mysterious - pronounced "OOKS-Lay") and Heatran to Spiritomb (Idk...Heatran just seems more "tomb"-ish to me...) I possibly might rename Samurott to Otteronin (portmanteau of otter and ronin; masterless samurai), because "Samurott" makes me think of a rotting samurai corpse... :(

Alomomola, while fun to say and a neat palindrome, is superseded by the original Japanese name Mamenbou, IMO.

Back