• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you designed a Pokemon game, what would it look like?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2019
    For mine, it would be a break from the 3DS/handheld series, and would be an updated open world action RPG for the Wii U.

-TMs, HMs, tutoring, and breeding would be done away with.
    -Any move a Pokemon can learn in canon, can be learned.
    -Strict leveling up would be done away with. In it's place, a inal Fantasy X-like Sphere Grid would be used. You could take a Pokemon whichever direction you want. Charizard, for example, you could focus on it's power moves in one section for the grid, or it's aerial moves in another, or it's flame moves. Or spend enough time to do go for all of them. Along the way are are HP, PP, attack/special attack, defense/special defense, speed, etc. nodes to be activated. Once enough time has been spent, there are special nodes that you can activate that evolve the Pokemon.
    -Mega evolutions are Permanent once they are triggered.
    -Shinys are also available.
    -The graphics/design would get a massive upgrade. The towns/people would be more akin to Witcher 3/Skyrim/Dark Souls. The Pokemon would also get design upgrades that correspond to the games design.
    -All Pokemon are available, you just have to find them. Legendary Pokemon can be acquired in challenging side quests.
    -Pokemon are seen in realtime instead of random battles, although they randomly spawn in the areas in your field of view.
    -Battles in realtime, the button under the left analog stick controls what Pokemon you send into battle(you press it down, use the right analog stick to scroll through your six available Pokemon. Push and hold again to switch out or to withdraw.
    -Pokemon attacks are mapped to the controller...A,B,X,Y each have their own attacks, as well as holding one of the four shoulder buttons along with one of the A,B,X,Y buttons, giving you the ability to have 20 individual moves in combat. You don't start out with a full ability map of course, but as you unlock more abilities the more you can slot. Once you have 20+ abilities, you can set up the attacks anyway you wish.
    -Battles take place on the open map. Once you send a Pokemon out, the control shifts from you controlling the trainer to controlling the Pokemon individually. Because it takes place in realtime, you also have free range of movement to try and dodge enemy attacks, and can combine moves, i.e. going back to Charizard, say you get someone in a Seismic Toss, after you slam them you can flyback up and hit with a flamethrower. If you recall, you go back to control over the trainer. As a touch, whichever move you use that has been mapped to the command you want, the trainer yells out the command as it is happening.
    -Once you have Pokemon like Ponyta or Rapidash, etc., you have the ability to ride them from town to town instead of walking. Same for riding a Lapras or equivalent to another area in the water.
    -Your goal in each area is to catch every Pokemon native to that regions Pokedex, beat the 8 Gym leaders(4 in the Orange Islands, added in a game for the first time), win the Regions League(set up as is in the anime, i.e. the Indigo League would take 8 wins), and then beating the Regions Elite 4. Since it is an open world, you can win the league, go to another, and then come back to challenge the Elite 4.
    -All Pokemon and trainers level up in correlating with your progress so no battle is too easy or too hard. All regions that have been represented in the games/anime or both are open and able to be traveled to.
    -After beating all the Elite Four in each region, your final boss is a 12 on 12 battle against the World Pokemon Champion, whose Pokemon are all max level regardless of your level when challenging him.

It would be a complete departure from the games previously in the series in both design and gameplay, but I think it would be an amazing take on the series for older RPG players and fans of the rapidly growing-in-popularity action RPG markets.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • Interesting question!
    I complain a lot about some content I think could be improved in the main games, so if it would be me who designed one :
    - More Pokemon that can be used as staller/sweepers or fast stallers. Defense and Speed is not a common combination in Pokemon, I'd say. Put apart from Prankster users, it wold be interesting to see Pokemon using support/stall sets with low attack, high bulk and high speed
    - Re-calibrated Exp. curves. In Pokemon I have this feeling something is not fair, if I compare to a classical RPG. I would think about something to a better share of Exp. Points. Many options can be exploited : daily side-quests, more exp. points on wild Pokemon, shared exp. points between all the pokemon
    - More space given to non-battling accomplishments (i.e breeding, beauty contest, pokedex filling, berry gathering) or rewarding them with exp. points so the team does not have to battle to grind
    - More diversified rewards. Trainer battles always reward with poke$, but it would be good to see other rewards (evil team would give expensive items or Pokemons, Ace trainers would give Battle Points, Breeders would give eggs or max a Pokemon's specific IV, bug catchers would give rare berries...)
    - Access to competitive scene not as an aftergame bonus but as an in-game challenge! Would be great to deal with breeding, IVs, Evs, eggmoves at the very beginning of the game.
    - On top of that, adding a more open-space trend to the main storyline and a difficulty level that adjusts to the weakest Pokemon's level. That would result as always being able to battle and having challenge, while completing the game with no specific order. If we apply this algorithm also to trainers, player would be able to face a lv-20, 30, 40, 50 E4 rosters, according to the level of team's Pokemon
    - Adding some hint of the anime feeling. In-game, all is about sweeping like a boss and being overleveled helps a lot.. Maybe allow two or three more possible actions per turn, other than usual attacks, including dodging. Other actions would be possible... Dodging : if this is activated, evasivess raises by 150% and speed is halfed for this turn / Healing : if this is activated, heals half the damage taken from previous hit but halves aattack/special attack for this turn / Combo : allows to use two moves at once but next turn would allow zero move to be used (basically this is a credit system)
    - Separating physical form and types associated. Flying types do not need to be birds, Water types do not need to be fishes, Grass types do not need to be plants... Reworking the weaknss/resistances thingy maybe to come with that. It's always odd to see type descriptions being related to the element itself and not the user of the attack. For example Water. Water-type attacks are strong against Rock because Water erodes rocks, right? But on the other hand I cannot see what a mere fish can do to a mountain, even if using water superpowers. OK I'm wandering too much on this one, so I stop here.
    - Definitely lose the battle effects of HMs, and offer them as an item or as a 5th-slot unused move (that would be a great help to the building of a team from the beginning)
    - A really hyped feature : possibility to UNBEAT the game without actually altering the storyline. Just for the sake of setting any trainer in the game ready to battle and do the game again with a new team, without having to start again and lose your progress. It could be an event one could activate on choice after defeating E4, for example. Then the player would be redirected to his PC to choose Pokemon he left there rotting, and sent to starting town with all trainers to beat again (can't decide if Pokemon that beated E4 once would be forbidden in use or not for the re-run)
    - Modulate settings for in-game battles : apart from "change" mode, which gives player a free switch against in-game trainers and "set" mode, that still allows player to use items, player could activer at any moment "arena" mode that converts every battle in the game into a competitive battle (no external use of item, systematically failing all evasion-related moves, no free switch, no exp. point earning, no EV. earning), "grinding mode" thats desactivates the EV-earning (good for actual Exp. gain without screwing up the EVs), and "EV mode" that converts all EV earned into specific EV determined by a specific item (like Power Brace) held by the team's lead. EV mode would half the exp points gained as a result..
    - Remastered versions of popular Pokemon, coming out in sets of 3 different delta species. The delta could be accessed by holding specific items or completing some challenge. Pokemon Insurgence for instance retyped some Pokemon like Venusauf Fairy/Psychic, it seems lots of fun. I can think of Water-Dugtrio, Ghost/Steel-Marowak, Steel-Raichu, Dark/Fairy-Weavile, Fire or Grass-Heliolisk...

Well that seem like good ideas. but theoritically is it really possible to implement it in a game? don't know

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2019
    I revised it a bit.

To challenge the Pokemon World Champion, you would have to win every region's tournament, beat every region's Elite 4, win every contest, have a complete Pokodex(complete with capturing every legendary Pokemon).

The design of the game would be a complete vast open world, and would have a futuristic Cyberpunk look, especially in the big cities of regions like Unova.

The Pokemon would have realistic designs(such as Pikachu, Charizard, Luxray, Furrett, Feraligatr, etc.).

The final battle wouldn't be 6 on 12, I revised it to 6 on...everyone. Your six Pokemon against every Pokemon, in Pokodex order. So not just Blastoise, Squirtle and Wartortle too. And all at max level.

Pokemon would slowly regain health and PP while in their Pokeballs.

Back