• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you had things your way..

CMFiend420_the_Dragonite

The Ultimate Dragonite
    Years
    I'm currently assisting a team create a new real time battle 2D Pokemon MMO and my question to you is: if you were to play a Pokemon mmo besides BASIC Pokemon features what are some things you would NEED to have in order to even give it a try, and what are some things you like however don't absolutely need. All replies appreciated!

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
    The only correct answer regarding things to absolutely have is microtransactions. Add as many interactions requiring microtransactions as possible -level ups, acquiring TMs, entering special areas, bike usage-, and I can assure you that will keep people literally invested on the game.

Given it's an MMO I'd expect lively exploration: Pokémon should be able to use various techniques to interact with their environment and help the Trainer reach to places. Vine Whip or Tailwind to cross a wide chasm, Ember to light up the candles in the haunted mansion -no, not Flamethrower, or you'll make the curtains and the rest of the place go down in fire!), Icy Wind or Ice Beam to freeze small bodies of water into walkable platforms, that kind of things.

Battle-wise, as much as it'd be realtime I'd only be interested if it keeps enough of a sense of turn-based so as to actually be able to sit back and enjoy thinking about the battle. So, either implementing a passive Defend system or some other elements that counterbalance the need to Act Now!.

Implementing AoE healing might be a must, there things like Reflect, Barrier and Safeguard I guess can help a bit. And of course, positional and geo effects facets for the battle engine, such as projectile attacks taking into effect wind and drag or be subject to the altitude of the target so as to make aiming for opponents more interesting.

Back