• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

i'll probably forget to check this

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
  • Okay so I finally spammed my way up to got 20 posts, so now I can talk about myself with strangers on the internet.

My name's Kyle, and I'm a high school student living in British Columbia, Canada. My ideal job that I've been working towards is to become an author; I've loved writing stories since I was about 7. Specifically, I'd like to write fantasy, and I have some short stories that I've considered posting in the Fanfics and Writing section but I'm way to insecure to take criticism from anyone.

My other ideal career would be a game designer. I'd rather be a designer than a programmer, as I don't have much of a talent for coding. I'm learning Ruby to program RPG Maker XP, and I have a pretty good understanding of HTML, Javascript and Python. I also have a passing acquaintance (meaning I can use them effectively but can never remember how the syntax rules work at all so I have to google each time) with Java and C++, but I've always found my understanding of most of these languages to be rather shallow, and I've spent many long hours reading Stackoverflow in total confusion.

I'm really into PC gaming, though my interest has decreased slightly as I'm spending more time writing stories and working in RPG Maker XP these past few months. My favorite games are Nuclear Throne, Dishonored and Team Fortress 2, probably in that order. I tried to make a YouTube channel for TF2 and Nuclear Throne content but it wasn't very successful due to there already being a ton of videos of both, so I gave it up after a while. I also built my current PC, and it stands proudly at 4 monitors (2x1080p, 1x1440p, 1x1080p UW) for a total of 10,598,400 pixels.

As for sports, I used to play soccer until seventh grade, when I realized that not only did I not enjoy it, I was also the worst player on our team. I like physical activity but I'm not really a team sports person, so I joined a school of fencing the same year. I'm now five or so years into it and have got a few of my friends to join as well. These days, I'm learning French foil and Italian saber, with a little bit of French knife. I also teach new students once a week in the basics.

Lastly, my current job is a clerk in a grocery store. It's not a whole lot of fun, as you'll find out if you read my blog, where I've made a list of complaints I have against our customers. Despite that, it's easy work, and I think I'll be able to tolerate it for a few more years.

I lied, that wasn't the last part, because it has recently occurred to me that this is a Pokémon forum and I should probably at least mention the subject. My favorite Pokémon is Xatu, as you probably know from my frequent Xatu-themed avatars. Honorable mentions also go out to Girafarig, Metagross, Bellossom and Wartortle. My least favorite Pokémon is probably Jinx or Klefki. My first game was Firered and my favorite game is Emerald, though I liked everything in Gen VI a lot as well.

Congratulations, you made it through the wall of text! You may now ask to your heart's desire, though I've talked so much there may be no good questions left.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • How difficult is it to get a decent grasp on Ruby if you're comfortable with programming (C, C++, Java etc) in general? Or rather, was it difficult for you to jump over to it with your background in programming language being the way it is?Asking because I might start working on the software too, ehehe.

What's your favorite food? I live on the other side of the earth and I haven't exactly heard of any staple canadian diet or, well, canadian food in general. Since I'm a huge foodie (IMMA GLOMP ON U IF UR TASTY), I like talking about food so yeah. :p

On a different note, @you not putting out your stuff online
    Why have you been putting off posting your stuff online? I mean, I know you did say you're slightly insecure, but...

Like, I can understand if you're doing writing as a hobby - you know, using it as an outlet for your emotions/feelings and hence wouldn't really want criticism. Since the only thing that'd matter to a person like that is that you're able to express yourself in your works and be content with it.

But if you're a person who is actively aiming for writing as a profession, I personally think that steeling your heart for any and all kinds of critique of your work is an important step towards progress. It'll mostly be painful initially - you know, the stuff that you wrote after putting in so much effort is seemingly getting bashed on by random nobodies on the internet. But trust me when I say this, the rewards are worth it. Critique improves your quality of work because you continuously strive to improve and aim for perfection. There's also the fact that putting your work out in public will allow it to be viewed from many different perspectives which will allow you to gain insight that normally wouldn't be possible due to you having a relatively limited perspective.

I guess that wasn't really needed since I'm here to ask questions but...yeah, just felt like saying it. No offense intended, bud. Feel free to ignore this bit if you dislike it. Just my two cents~

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • How difficult is it to get a decent grasp on Ruby if you're comfortable with programming (C, C++, Java etc) in general? Or rather, was it difficult for you to jump over to it with your background in programming language being the way it is?Asking because I might start working on the software too, ehehe.
    I find it pretty easy to get a grasp on, but at the same time, there's very little that I've actually written from scratch. Most of the Ruby coding that I've done so far has been tinkering with the code in Pokémon Essentials to add a few features, and the problem with tinkering is that it's very easy to end up with gaps in your knowledge.

What's your favorite food? I live on the other side of the earth and I haven't exactly heard of any staple canadian diet or, well, canadian food in general. Since I'm a huge foodie (IMMA GLOMP ON U IF UR TASTY), I like talking about food so yeah. :p
    I like mashed potatoes a lot, but I don't really have that many opinions on food. I've really felt able to enjoy eating interesting or exquisite meals. If it keeps me from starving to death, it works.

On a different note, @you not putting out your stuff online
    Why have you been putting off posting your stuff online? I mean, I know you did say you're slightly insecure, but...

Like, I can understand if you're doing writing as a hobby - you know, using it as an outlet for your emotions/feelings and hence wouldn't really want criticism. Since the only thing that'd matter to a person like that is that you're able to express yourself in your works and be content with it.

But if you're a person who is actively aiming for writing as a profession, I personally think that steeling your heart for any and all kinds of critique of your work is an important step towards progress. It'll mostly be painful initially - you know, the stuff that you wrote after putting in so much effort is seemingly getting bashed on by random nobodies on the internet. But trust me when I say this, the rewards are worth it. Critique improves your quality of work because you continuously strive to improve and aim for perfection. There's also the fact that putting your work out in public will allow it to be viewed from many different perspectives which will allow you to gain insight that normally wouldn't be possible due to you having a relatively limited perspective.

I guess that wasn't really needed since I'm here to ask questions but...yeah, just felt like saying it. No offense intended, bud. Feel free to ignore this bit if you dislike it. Just my two cents~
    I have been sending it to some people who've been critiquing it, just not on PokéCommunity. I still will probably post some stuff here eventually.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Hello! :)
    I have a little question!

You said you are really into PC gaming. What do you like in PC Gaming? I mean, what's better than console? What made you play PC Games?

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • Hello! :)
    I have a little question!

You said you are really into PC gaming. What do you like in PC Gaming? I mean, what's better than console? What made you play PC Games?
    I started PC gaming due to wanting to buy Minecraft about 5 years ago. Before that all I really played was DS and GBA games. After that I moved on to TF2 which hooks me to this day, as well as a few others.
    Ironically, I think I was so hooked into PC gaming by the fact that my computer at that time was absolutely terrible. I played on an old Dell laptop that could hardly run Minecraft at 20FPS. This made me want to buy a good PC, which led me to research parts, which led to me wanting to build one.
    As for consoles, I sometimes joke about console peasantry and #pcmasterrace but honestly I don't care that much what other people play on. I like keyboards over controllers, and I like having a 144Hz monitor, and consoles will provide neither. I've never really felt the need.
    My favorite kinds of games are first-person action with high mobility. These don't necessarily need to be FPS games, I just like any first-person games with an acrobatic character. I like Scout and Spy in TF2, I love Dishonored, and I've been playing a lot of the new Call of Duty because I'm a big fan of games with wall-running.

Back