• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm new to competitive battling.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    Hello there, I'm a long time Pokemon player since red and blue came out for gameboy color. I always played the game for the storyline throughout the generations from 1 to V. Now that I am starting with generation 6, I would like some feedback on how to get a decent team to play. I have tried before to make a team and did my research, but I would like to hear from you guys.
    This is my first time building a competitive team after much youtube vids etc. This is for OU btw.

My thoughts of a team:

Swampert- I chose the all out attacker from Smogon and use him to set up stealth rock
    Dragonite- My special attacker with Multiscale
    Scizor- U-turn beatstick
    Lucario- great against dragons
    Tyranitar- I always wanted this guy after hearing about how great he was (now that is see his weaknesses however, I'm doubting a lot)
    Skarmory- Stall and alternative to Swampert
    Garchomp- Beatstick :/
    Hippowdon- Bulky and sandstorm
    Salamence- I heard he was good :( until dragonite...

I have these pokemon and was wondering if they are any good.

On the other hand, I heard that the Rain Teams are amazing:
    I was told to use

Politoad- bulky with drizzle
    Keldeo- he's so good, he needs a ban
    Ferrothorn- best in rain and good against many pokemon
    Gliscor- Toxic Orb and ya...
    Croagunk- with that dry skin and all
    Terrakion/Dragonite/Scizor- ....

I have no experience in these teams whatsoever, so if someone could point me in the right direction, I should be fine. I know about EVs and all, except I didn't know what teams were the best in the meta right now.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Just letting you know that you're gonna want to post this in Battle Center. This forum is for questions and feedback regard the forum itself. It's not for game help, I'm afraid. Good luck to you though!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Could've gone to the Quick Questions thread...

Anyway, the first five rain team members all have merit on Rain teams. And it's Toxicroak, not Croagunk that you may be referring to here. Consider that Dragonite needs Rapid Spin support to ensure that Multiscale isn't broken (it only works if Dragonite is at full health). The rain would enhance Terrakion's Water weakness, but it's good to help demolish Sun teams. Scizor's Fire weakness is reduced in the rain as well.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    Terribly sorry about putting it in the wrong section. Yes I meant Toxicroak instead of Croagunk. Since Keldeo is extremely hard to get, what should I replace it with? Of the three last few I've mentioned, which is the one that is the most fit in the rain team?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Terribly sorry about putting it in the wrong section. Yes I meant Toxicroak instead of Croagunk. Since Keldeo is extremely hard to get, what should I replace it with? Of the three last few I've mentioned, which is the one that is the most fit in the rain team?

You could do Toxicroak + Terrakion.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    Okay, two questions.

1) Can you migrate from BW2 to XY? (Meaning any other alternative to that online pc box)

2) If I cannot get the correct trait terrakion or legendaries, what are some suggestions?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Okay, two questions.

1) Can you migrate from BW2 to XY? (Meaning any other alternative to that online pc box)

2) If I cannot get the correct trait terrakion or legendaries, what are some suggestions?

1. No alternative besides Pokemon Bank I'm afraid.

2. Terrakion:
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    -X-Scissor
    -Quick Attack/Sacred Sword/Rock Slide
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Band/Choice Scarf

or
    -Stealth Rock
    -Taunt/Swords Dance
    -Stone Edge
    -Close Combat
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash

or
    -Swords Dance
    -Rock Polish
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    Nature: Jolly/Adamant
    Item: Life Orb/Air Balloon

or
    -Substitute
    -Swords Dance
    -Close Combat
    -Stone Edge
    Item: Rock Gem/Life Orb/Salac Berry

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2013
    Thank you for all the help. My last question will be of these three, which would you choose to fit in the rain team?

Dragonite
    Skarmory
    Scizor

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2015
    This is a good team

Lucario: w/ Life Orb
    Nasty Plot
    Vacuum Wave
    Aura Sphere
    Dark Pulse

Give it 252 EVs in Special Attack and Speed and a nature that lowers Attack and boosts speed.

Ninjask: w/ Focus Sash
    Swords Dance
    Protect
    Substitute
    Baton Pass

Give it the Focus Sash. The only problem you will have is if the opponent Pokémon has a priority move. Start with Protect, Swords Dance and protect again and then Baton Pass to:

Regigigas: w/Leftovers
    Substitute
    Drain Punch
    any other physical move
    any other physical move

Give it EVs in HP and Spec Def and a nature that boosts defence and lowers spec attack. Give it Leftovers and if you can wall out the opponent for 5 turns until Slow Start ends, Regigigas will be absolutely beastly

Steelix: w/Leftovers
    Toxic
    Protect
    Roar
    any non-attacking move

Steelix is an absolutely beastly Physical wall. Give it 252 EVs in HP and Defence and a nature that boosts Defence and lowers Spec Att. Any time you predict a Physical move, switch into Steelix to wall it out. It can also spam toxic well

Chansey w/Leftovers
    Aromatherapy
    Seismic Toss
    Toxic
    Protect

Like Steelix is your Physical wall, Chansey is your Special wall. Give it the eviolite and it's better than Blissey. Give it 252 EVs in HP and Spec Defence and a nature that boosts Spec Defence and lowers Attack. Anytime you predict a Special move, switch into Chansey and it is a decent toxic spammer

Siglyiph: w/Flame Orb
    Psycho Shift
    Stored Power
    Cosmic Power
    Roost

For this, just check out the Smogon page for Siglyiph for this move set. It is too complicated for me to explain.

Overall, this is a great team that will do you great!

Back