• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Image, Style

Years
  • 1e6lox.jpg

How do you feel about a musician's visual style or image? Is it an important part of their music or performance? Is it a distraction? Is it just there and has no impact whatsoever? What are some of your favorites (or least favorites if that's how you feel)? Would certain musicians not be the same without their image?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    To be honest, I can't say I know what half of the artists I listen to look like. For mainstream artists, or perhaps more appropriately: "performers", image is very important. It is a unique identity that a lot of fans grow attached to. That's not to say the music isn't important, because it is, and for a majority of the artists I listen to, with a lack of image, the music is all that garners my attention.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I find it kind of annoying that image normally takes priority over an act's music, these days.

There are plenty of normal singer/songwriters who are ignored because they're not ~out there.

Sara Barielles springs to mind, I know she's doing alright in America but she is practically unknown here, she's just not ~exciting enough~ I guess.

Years
  • Well most mainstream pop artists like to go over board and think they're unique/hip and end up looking like this - View attachment 69833

Some bands/artists do try to be the stereotypical 'genre appearance' to match their music, which is kinda annoying, eg certain screamo/emos, boybands, and the douche I linked above^.

To me personally is just about the music and expressing yourself, so I guess if you wanna dress up in all black and crazy piercings to show how 'deep' you are.. Then go ahead, but don't just do it just to be the stereotypical genre.

pompayyy

Forever and Ever
    Years
  • It depends. Miley Cyrus just did it for no specific reason other than popularity. David Bowie, on the other hand, tried to live like one of his many fiction characters (Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane, Major Tom, etc.) and I think that's what musicians need to do more often. And then there's Jim Morrison who wanted to be remembered more as a poet than an artist and The Beatles who will always be remembered for their Psychedelic style on Sgt, Pepper's. If used correctly an artist's style could be good, but unfortunately this isn't always the case.

BonkersRider

Twisted Fashion Gal
    Years
  • For me it all depends on whether I like the music. If the music is great then I wouldn't care what their appearance would be. The band/artist could look like a misshapen blob of lipstick and I would still like them.

The only exception is Lady Gaga. I don't listen to her music but I love her outfits. She just walks out wearing whatever she wants and for that I have a lot of respect for her.
    Example:
    Lady Gaga in London, Great Britain on August 29th of this year.
    Spoiler:

Back