• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Immersion debate: Silent protagonists vs. Developed characters

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
    I personally enjoy a silent protagonist more as I feel I can react to things as if I were that character more then him/her reacting for me. Like yes/no answers in many Nintendo games or just not talking in some first 8-bit games, I truly feel like I AM that character.

With a pre-defined personality, I feel like I'm simply an onlooker, seeing the game happen, but not being that person doing the actions and reacting to the villains. This isn't always a bad thing, like The World Ends With you became my favorite RPG easily, but the protagonist is very un-silent. A silent protagonist can't have one thing a protagonist with a voice and personality can have: Character development. This is a very good plot feature in many games, but how can a protagonist with no personality get a better one? 0x10 is still 0.

So, I can either enjoy the game with good character development, or not have it and just feel like I'm the character and react on my own. In both cases, I am immersed.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Developed characters. I feel like I get more into a game when I understand a character's story and their motives for what they are trying to accomplish. Also, if a character is developed over time like the Mass Effect or gears of War or God of War games then I get into it even more.

Back