• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In depth Advance Map tutorial

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 20, 2022
I tried opening a game someone else made in Advance Map to fix some movement permissions, but I'm getting an "AdvanceMapError(12): Unknown Rom type!" error message. I can open up other games just fine, and the Rom runs perfectly well in VBA. How can I get A-Map to open this thing?

Years
I tried opening a game someone else made in Advance Map to fix some movement permissions, but I'm getting an "AdvanceMapError(12): Unknown Rom type!" error message. I can open up other games just fine, and the Rom runs perfectly well in VBA. How can I get A-Map to open this thing?

The maker of the hack either a) edited the ROM header so it couldn't be recognised by Advance Map (or most other tools), or b) used the decompilation project to create their hack, which also leads to a lack of compatibility with most tools.

Tools like A-Map have a text file (with an extension of .ini) somewhere which, put very simply, tells them what ROMs they're capable of reading and where to look for certain data within those ROMs.

Whatever ROM you're editing, the creator made changes (deliberately or otherwise) which prevent the ROM from being opened in programs like A-Map.

Back