• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In This Stadium We Pokemon Battle (Beta)

Vendour

Water & Fire Pokemon Trainer
Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2014
    All right, I have an idea I want to test out (plus we need something to help make this board more active). It's not that complex, so it should be an simple and fun success. We each will battle another Trainer (forum member) using one Pokemon. This Pokemon can be of our choosing, or it can be randomly selected, depending on the criteria agreed upon by the two Trainers engaging in the battle. The HP of our Pokemon are randomly generated, and the amount of damage done by the Pokemon attacks are randomly generated, but you may choose any attack that Pokemon and it's pre-evolutions are capable of doing (no HM-only or TM-only attacks). Receiving damage lowers your Pokemon's HP. Pokemon weaknesses (twice the damage is received), resistances (half the damage is received), and immunities (no damage is received) to attacks apply. These are the only stats that are involved in the battles, so, for example, speed, attack, special attack, defense, special defense, and so forth, do not exist. Status effects during battles also do not exist at this time. So, for example, if you choose to have your Pikachu use Thunder Wave, the attack will do some amount of damage but will not paralyze the opponent, since status effects do not exist. However, if the opponent is a ground type Pokemon, then the Thunder Wave attack does no damage at all, since ground type Pokemon are immune to electric attacks. Right now, only generaton-one Pokemon are eligible for battle, and only generation-one types and attacks exist. The system is based on a random number generator. Only numbers 1, through 151 are permitted (this means 0 is not an option). As mentioned earlier, random number generator decides the HP of our Pokemon, and the amount of damage done by the attack of your choosing. For battles where the Pokemon is not chosen by the Trainer, the random number generator decides the Pokemon each Trainer battles with as well. Which Trainer makes the first move is decided by adding together the digits in the HP of their Pokemon and seeing who has the greater sum. For example, Trainer Sett's Magneton randomly lands an HP of 36, and his opponent, Trainer Yam's Ivysaur randomly lands an HP of 123. This means that Sett's Magneton would make the first move of the battle, since 9 is greater than 6. The battle is over when either or both Trainers's Pokemons has no remaining HP. The winner or a draw is then declared.

Understand? Simple enough. The system of the battles means that the length of most battles will range between not-that-long and very, very quick. This is good and the goal, at least for now. To solicit a battle, make a challenge post with your Pokemon, it's HP, your first move number, and detail whether the battle is a Trainer Pokemon-selection battle or random Pokemon-selection battle. You can also invite a specific user to battle via private message or something, in which case when you make your challenge post here, make a note that you are looking to battle that specific user. Only one on one battles are allowed for now.

Here is your random number generator. Set the min at 1 and the max at 151, then press enter.

Here is a poster with the original 151 Pokemon, their numbers, and their types.

Here is your Pokemon attack moveset resource. Simply type in the name your battle Pokemon in the URL. Movesets from both Red, Blue, and Yellow are eligible.

Here is a chart of Pokemon types and how they match-up for weaknesses, resistances, and immunities to different attck types.
    Spoiler:

And here is a mock battle.
    Spoiler:

Edit: Here is what to do in the event of a First Move Showdown (if two Pokemon land the same First Move Number):
    Spoiler:

There you have it. I added the pictures and animated gifs for illustratory effect and amusement. You can add pictures and gif if you wish. Also you have to quote the Trainer you're battling with so that it's clear who's battling who, but don't have more than one quote per post, so that we dont end up with so many cascasing quotes.

Who's interested?

I guess I'll kick it off.

Challenge, trainer pokemon selection battle. I choose Blastoise.

HP = 72. First move number = 9. Who's up for it?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    Okey, I accept the challenge, but I'm not so sure how would this work,
    Hitmonlee, go!

How should I calculate the HP and the moves?From what to what number?

Vendour

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2014
    Okey, I accept the challenge, but I'm not so sure how would this work,
    Hitmonlee, go!

How should I calculate the HP and the moves?From what to what number?

Okay then, I'll take on your Hitmonlee.

(To calculate the HP and the moves, go to the number generator in my first post and set min and max range between 1 and 151, then press enter or click the Generate button. It will give you a number, that is your Hitmonlee's HP. Add each of the digits in Hitmonlee's HP, and that sum is your first move number. Mine is 9. Whoever has the greater first move number attacks first. During the battle you can attack with any move your Pokemon and it's pre-evolutions are capable of doing. If you need an attack move list, click the link in my first post. The damage of the attack is chosen by the same number generator, with min and max values of 1 and 151.)

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    This seems really fun! And I appreciate your effort to make PGen more active :) however, this is a thread/forum game more suited for the Pokemon Trivia board so I'm afraid I'm going to move it over there.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • So you generate the damage on the same interval as the HP? This means the chance to one hit the opponent is 50% if I'm right.
    I really like your idea, but I think it will be more interesting if the HP will be generated on [100;200] and the attack damage on [1;50] for example.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    Okey, calculating values:
    49 HP
    First move number: 13 (I don't have to sum it up again so it would be 4, right?)
    Okey then, if I did that correctly, I should go first...
    Hitmonlee, High Jump Kick!

And the damage is... 140!

Blastoise is out of combat.

Can I play against the next challenger with this same hitmonlee until someone defeats it? ( I mean, HP: 49 and first turn number:9 ).

Vendour

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2014
    Okey, calculating values:
    49 HP
    First move number: 13 (I don't have to sum it up again so it would be 4, right?)
    Okey then, if I did that correctly, I should go first...
    Hitmonlee, High Jump Kick!

And the damage is... 140!

Blastoise is out of combat.

Can I play against the next challenger with this same hitmonlee until someone defeats it? ( I mean, HP: 49 and first turn number:9 ).

Yep you did everything right. Your FMN (first move number) was indeed 13, not 4. And not bad there, clobbering my Blastoise.

Yes, if you want, you can battle another challenger with that same Hitmonlee and it's stats (your FMN, first move number, for That Hitmonlee was 13, not 9). You just have to make a challenge post and in that post make sure you say that you're using the same Hitmonlee and stats from a previously won battle. And since you're choosing the Pokemon yourself, make sure you also state that it's a Trainer Pokemon-selection battle.

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    Thanks for the explanation Vendour :).
    Okey then:

Challenge, trainer pokemon selection battle.
    I choose the same Hitmonlee I used to battle Vendour's blastoise.

HP:49.
    First Move Number:13.

Vendour

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2014
    So you generate the damage on the same interval as the HP? This means the chance to one hit the opponent is 50% if I'm right.
    I really like your idea, but I think it will be more interesting if the HP will be generated on [100;200] and the attack damage on [1;50] for example.
    The random number generator determines how much damage an attack does. Every attack hits (however immunities apply, so even though an attack may hit, it may do no damage to a Pokemon who is immune it that attack).

The attack and damage system is set up the way it is so that battles don't last a long time. This is ideal because this game is new and somewhat being tested out. I'm not so sure if users would return here continually to complete very long battles. The idea you suggested means battles would last much longer. If this game is successful (measured in very liberal terms), then the next installment will include more complex Pokemon battles, introducing other facets of battle such as multiple Pokemon per Trainer, status effects, and the inclusion of all Generations of Pokemon, and all types. The HP, attack move, and attack damage system will have the default system I laid out, but will also include customization options for those wanting to try different systems. These customizations entail the initial challenger being able choose their own set value, or ranges of random number selection for HP, their own attack move system, and their own set attack damage system, or range of random number selection for attack damage.

Last edited:

Vendour

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2014
    Thanks for the explanation Vendour :).
    Okey then:

Challenge, trainer pokemon selection battle.
    I choose the same Hitmonlee I used to battle Vendour's blastoise.

HP:49.
    First Move Number:13.

Challenge accepted. Trainer selection battle, I choose Bulbasaur. HP=49. First move=13.

[Ha, slim odds. We both landed the same HP, and thus the same FMN.

First Move Showdown
    In the event both Pokemon land the same First Move Number, First Move Showdown commences. (A) Both Pokemon attack at the same time. (B) The Pokemon that attacks with the greater attack power wins out, and the damage inflicted on the opponent Pokemon is the difference of the two attacks. Basically, the two Pokemon attacked at the same time, and the stronger attack overcame the weaker attack and did damage to the target, but the stronger attack was still downpowered by the force of the weaker attack. (C) After this, the Pokemon that received that damage subtracts 1 from their FMN. The battle then continues normally. (A2) IF, after landing the same FMN, the Pokemon attack at the same time with attacks that are equal in power, the two attacks nullify each other, and this process repeats from section A until one of the Pokemon attacks with a greater attack power. Then it continues from section B)]

So, for FMS (First Move Showdown) Bulbasuar will attack with Solarbeam.

It does 118 damage!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2015
    Challenge accepted. Trainer selection battle, I choose Bulbasaur. HP=49. First move=13.

[Ha, slim odds. We both landed the same HP, and thus the same FMN.

First Move Showdown
    In the event both Pokemon land the same First Move Number, First Move Showdown commences. (A) Both Pokemon attack at the same time. (B) The Pokemon that attacks with the greater attack power wins out, and the damage inflicted on the opponent Pokemon is the difference of the two attacks. Basically, the two Pokemon attacked at the same time, and the stronger attack overcame the weaker attack and did damage to the target, but the stronger attack was still downpowered by the force of the weaker attack. (C) After this, the Pokemon that received that damage subtracts 1 from their FMN. The battle then continues normally. (A2) IF, after landing the same FMN, the Pokemon attack at the same time with attacks that are equal in power, the two attacks cancel each other out, and this process repeats from section A until one of the Pokemon attacks with a greater attack power. Then it continues from section B)]

So, for FMS (First Move Showdown) Bulbasuar will attack with Solarbeam.

It does 118 damage!

I think I'll try to code this little game in a programming language later, it seems fun and pretty simple ^^, sadly I lack the knowledge to make it an online game or something like that, I'm still a beginner at this.
    And regarding to the battle, Hitmonle, MEGA KICK!

It does 33 damage!

As hitmonlee attack was weaker, it received 85 damage.

Hitmonle is out of combat. The winner is Vandour and his bulbasaur.

Back