• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Graphics] Indexing sprite issue

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2020
    Im having issues indexing a sprite... it always looks messed up no matter what I do.

It seems like a simple task can anyone please help me end my suffering. :(
    Indexing sprite issue

Squeetz

ROM Hacker
    Years
    Im having issues indexing a sprite... it always looks messed up no matter what I do.

It seems like a simple task can anyone please help me end my suffering. :(
    Indexing sprite issue

That's a big dude.

What exact problem are you having? You're using Irfanview, right?
    Try saving it as a .png or .bmp before decreasing color depth.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2020
    the outlines get all messed up and the background color doesn't become transparent.

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Irfranview indexes weird. It switches a main outline color for the transparent color and you have to manually switch them in its palette editor. Here, try this one.

Indexing sprite issue

Also, you should always save sprites as PNG, not JPG. PNG will always have higher quality.

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2020
    I keep getting an error "Compressed Size 0x4D0. Which is too big"

I'm using unLZ to insert the sprite, it might be outdated but I don't know what they use these days to insert trainer sprites.

Trev

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    Why are you using UNLZ for trainer sprites? Use NSE, it's much easier.

You have to repoint something when it's bigger than the previous sprite. All you have to do is put in an offset to free space and check the "Change pointers" button (or whatever it says) .

Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2020
    Whenver I imported the sprite + palette to the game it works but the palette glitches up and the sprite looks messed up. So I just manually changed the palette colors to match the indexed and it managed to work.

Thanks everyone who replied to this thread

Trev

Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    For reference: when you use NSE, you have to click the little palette button in the upper left corner, click the plus at the bottom of the window, and click "Write Palette to ROM."

Back