• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Intelligence vs Social Competence

Molts

Novice Breeder
    Years
    I disregarded the 'need' for friendship, I called myself very smart, and students also thought of me as so all throughout my education from middle school to high school. I always had a close group of friends, still do. I definitely would not be popular at all though, would actually more likely be voted as "the nice guy who knows a lot of stuff". So I guess I have a happy medium?

In other people I place much greater value on social competence, since you can teach a person to be smarter, but teaching someone to be more acceptable in public is MUCH more difficult.

metronome

dinosaurs are cool
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2011
    That triangle right there, Impo, is pretty much my life. I chose enough sleep, good grades, and, uh, a minimal social life with fellow geeks. ;_;

I've always only had a few very close friends, and I've never considered myself to be an especially socially capable person, but I'm fairly smart. I think, though, that social capability is far more important than book-smarts.

I know plenty of smart people. The successful ones, however, all know how to deal with people properly, how to communicate, how to mediate difficult situations. If you are genuinely intellectually gifted, your achievements will offset this somewhat. For the rest of us, though, being socially adept will bring connections, good impressions, and appreciation; these go beyond just making and keeping friends.

And really, isn't social capability a form of intelligence?

Years
    I know plenty of smart people. The successful ones, however, all know how to deal with people properly, how to communicate, how to mediate difficult situations.

That's why schooling values social interaction so much. Kids need to learn those skills in order to be truly successful. While I consider social ability a branch of intelligence, they aren't necessarily inclusive. You can be fabulously smart, yet be a total robot in terms of social ability. Having both is invaluable.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Social interaction is key to success. Intelligence can pick the lock the , but when you are up against something with a conscious, it'll only get you so far. Sometimes, you will have to smooth talk your way in. The point of that metaphor?

You could be the smartest person in the world, but if you don't know how to interact with people, no one will really know of your intelligence, or you wont be able to share your ideas and concepts with anyone in a reasonable manner. Social interaction is a good skill to have. Learn what makes people tick, manipulate them, get them do what you want. All it takes is a little charm, and knowing what to say. With that, you can get just about anywhere in life, if you have no moral qualms about manipulating and using people as a stepping stone up the ladder. But this isn't about moral talk, so, speaking from an un-morally biased point, social interaction(manipulation) will get you far.

& Even if you don't want to manipulate anyone, people tend to be attracted to people who seem fun and lively. So present yourself in a manner. If you want to be loved, be lovable.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'd rather see Intelligence valued the most. But it isn't.

In this world, it's not about what you know, it's about who you know. You become successful through a mixture of luck, social connections, social competence and then knowledge of the area you're working in; in that order.

Personally, I'm not strong in either areas. I think I'm mediocre and average in almost every way.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    Don't get me wrong, I value intelligence, HIGHLY. I enjoy the ability to have an intelligent conversation with me and my mates every now and again. Ex-mates... really. But if I ever see them around, it's nice to step in for a chat. Being smart will get you far, good marks = good university. But also, you need the social competence of the extra curricular activities, sports, clubs, etcetc. The admission staff tends to value those things hand in hand, imo.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Social competence actually. You don't really have to be a genius to graduate school, just know enough to pass. When it comes to the world after, being social and out going will get you connections and connections are good.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    That's very true. All it takes is a D- to pass, and you basically get that for showing up. The only way you can't get that is if you don't even do your classwork, and if that's your issue, then... well yeah. School isn't hard to pass, and grade don't necessarily reflect intelligence, either.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    A balance with a lean to intelligence is probably the best imo. Personally, I have horrible, horrible social competence and yes, it's a burden.

Shizz

Popcorn Fantic
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2011
    Oddly enough, I'm a bit of both; though a bit more smart than socially adept; I never adjusted myself for other people, and as I have a vow of no physical retaliation, I'd get beat-up and made fun of a lot. But I have a quite a few friends that treasure who I am, and are amazed at what I know every once in a while. Not to mention my complex jokes/puns. :P I befriend SANE people, not retardly judgmental ones, which tend to not have a liking toward me. ^^;;;

Years
    I'd rather see Intelligence valued the most. But it isn't.

In this world, it's not about what you know, it's about who you know. You become successful through a mixture of luck, social connections, social competence and then knowledge of the area you're working in; in that order.

Personally, I'm not strong in either areas. I think I'm mediocre and average in almost every way.

So very true. Our system is touted as being a perfect Meritocracy, when In reality it's very, very different. Talking from personal experience, prodigious social skills and charisma (and a little luck) can get you very, very far here in the US.

Back